Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #1

Black Water

So, I've been told two stories. First, the context. I'm in an RV park with my unit is hooked up to a sewage line. Now, the two stories: The first says I have to keep the black water tank closed, dumping it when it is 2/3 to 3/4 full. The other story is that, when hooked directly to the sewage line, all I need do is keep the valve open and let the black water run straight through the tank into the park's system. A or B? Which is your experience?

Dr. Paul
DrPaulRMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #2

With the black tank, more water is your friend. If you leave the valve open, all the water will trickle out leaving the solids in the tank or hose. Best practice is to let the tank fill to the 100% mark and then dump to help flush everything out.

We always travel with at least 5 gallons in the tanks, add Calvin Conditioner, and a tablet. That allows the water to slosh around and help keep the sides, top, and level gauges clean.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #3

Keep it closed until close to full, then dump. Leaving it open will cause a build up of solids in the tank as liquids just trickle away down the drain. You need the flushing action of a full tank mixed with lots of liquids to drain properly. I leave the gray tank closed when the black is near full so I will have a good rinse of the hose after draining the black.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #4

When hooked up to the park's sewer, I keep both valves closed and only open them to drain the tanks..

IMHO, waiting until at least 50% full will help to more throughly flush both tanks... I DO flush the grey water much more frequently than when I'm boondocking, especially if my wife does a few loads of laundry. It really isn't that hard to open the basement door, pull a lever, wait a few minutes, push a lever, and then close the door...

While not an everyday occurrence, I have read enough stories about people getting bugs in their holding tanks from a park sewer system, via an open tank valve, to even want to risk that...
Old 10-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #5

Agree, let your black tank fill up before you dump. When I'm hooked up at the CG I will leave the gray open in case my wife runs the washer, does dishes or runs the shower.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:29 PM   #6

Like everyone else has responded; never leave your black tank valve open. Keep it closed until you dump. You will want to dump your gray water after the black, just to wash the sewer hose out, especially on you last dump before traveling or unhooking your sewer hose.
I do not leave my gray water valve open either, but it does seem okay to leave it open sometimes, until your last dump perhaps. Some people say you can get bugs and critters in your gray tank by leaving the valve open, but a lot of people do it; doesn't seem very important for the gray valve. But it is important to keep the black valve closed, at least in my opinion.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #7

High volume/weight can move boulders

Trickle can't even move a pebble

Leaving black tank valve open is like a trickle and the boulders remain behind
Do that often enough and you will end up with the dreaded Poop Pyramid
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #8

Thanks

Thank you RV Community. This is great advice and understandable.

Hattitude mentioned keeping "both" valves closed. Couldn't I keep the grey water open since there is no waste in it?

Paul
Old 10-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
ALWAYS keep the Black closed and dump when 2/3 or more full and we rinse it out at each dump. Extra water is your friend here.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPaulRMcC View Post

Hattitude mentioned keeping "both" valves closed. Couldn't I keep the grey water open since there is no waste in it?

Paul
Yes you can leave the grey valve open if you like. But close it a day or so before you depart & use the grey to dump after the black to help rinse the line. Don't know who suggested leaving the black valve open but don't take any advise from that camper
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPaulRMcC View Post

Paul
Yes, you can keep the grey open. As someone said, creepy crawlers can get into your tank with the valve open. I personally keep it closed unless we're doing laundry.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #12

IF you have a washing machine you will need to keep grey dump valve open due to volume of water that can flush thru the tank and out drain line

No washing machine....
Personally I believe in leaving grey dump valve closed until dump day when I do both tanks

Grey waste can STINK worst then black
Cooking oils/greases, rotting food particles, sloughed skin cells, urine (showering), matted hair etc

Those things can accumulated/dry out in a grey tank that is allowed to have the liquid drain out vs build up in volume

Again...WHOOSH factor helps move 'stuff' down and out the drain
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IF you have a washing machine you will need to keep grey dump valve open due to volume of water that can flush thru the tank and out drain line

No washing machine....
Personally I believe in leaving grey dump valve closed until dump day when I do both tanks

Grey waste can STINK worst then black
Cooking oils/greases, rotting food particles, sloughed skin cells, urine (showering), matted hair etc

Those things can accumulated/dry out in a grey tank that is allowed to have the liquid drain out vs build up in volume

Again...WHOOSH factor helps move 'stuff' down and out the drain

Both tanks closed until one becomes full then empty both.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #14

Thank you

WOW! I am overwhelmed with the help and friendly attitudes I sense from the help. I am thankful that I discovered this community. Our first trip is mid- November, really excited.

Tags
water