Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Black water tank

What is the best chemical to use to keep tank clean?
devlucyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

We use Spic-N-Span. When I finish dumping the tank I use the flush system to clean the tank and then close the valve to add water to the tank and then the cleaner is added to do its work while we drive to the next stop.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
When in use I use Happy Camper - Secure Online Credit Card Ordering.
Whe I pack up to go home after flushing the tank I put Dawn dish washing liquid in with about one gaallon of water. The sloshing around in the tank with this soapy mixture keeps it clean.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Any good soap product after dumping and flushing the tank and heading to the next stop. I have used Pinesol, Awesome, Dawn, liquid laundry soap, etc added to 5-10 gallons of water. We rarely use a tank additive except in hot weather between dumps and have never had an odor problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If your toilet is properly installed and vented, no chemicals or deodorizers are needed. Like noted above, I use Calgon or Dawn to aide in flushing the black tank.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
In 12 years, 140,000+- miles for at least 5 months a year, we just use lots of water and it has worked for us.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If your toilet is properly installed and vented, no chemicals or deodorizers are needed.
Cat320
My thoughts exactly!

RV toilets, drain systems and holding tanks are designed and built so odors will not/can not enter the coach, (when everything is working properly).
If odors get into a coach, something is leaking or broken, or the owner/occupant is doing something wrong.

BTW, IMO chemicals/deodorizers do nothing more than make sewage smell like sewage with perfume added.

To answer Devlucyl's original question..... nothing, (other than never using it), will KEEP a RV tank CLEAN.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
When in use I use Happy Camper - Secure Online Credit Card Ordering.
Whe I pack up to go home after flushing the tank I put Dawn dish washing liquid in with about one gaallon of water. The sloshing around in the tank with this soapy mixture keeps it clean.

X2 on the Happy Camper treatment! It's great and less expensive than most if you use it as they recommend! I've been using is for about 10 years and am totally satisfied!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the time, a good flushing of the tank is all that is needed to pass the sniff test with the vent fan on. Here's a really good video to explain...

How To Dump And Clean Your Black Water Tank | RVNana

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
This is a discussion that is going to offer a lot of opinions on this subject. If you want to buy Thedford Tank and Sensor cleaner, it works. I have to use it about 1 a yr to keep the gauges clean and it takes care of stuff on the walls..
Happy Camping
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
H2O
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #12

another vote for dawn. nothing wrong with making the crap, pun intended, that comes out smell better. keeps the tank clean too, a win win!!!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Things to remember about the black tank:
The only things that should go down the toilet are what comes naturally out of the body and toilet paper. No need to buy the expensive sandpaper that they market as RV toilet paper you can pretty much use any that says "septic safe" on the package.
Do not put paper towels, handy wipes, butt wipes, any female products, etc down there.
Use water when you flush, do not try to flush without water. That's the surest way to get the "dreaded pyramid of poo" and then you will need help and it will be very messy to dump the tank.
After you dump the tank and close it then add in at least a gallon, if not 2 or 3, of water just to make sure you have something in there to keep things moist and not dried out.
We've full timed for a few years now and no chemicals are used and no problems so far. The tanks are holding tanks and not a septic tank so you really should not treat them as one.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #14

I use the tank additive from Walmart, I think it's Camco, and have no smells. I did read on one of these forums to put in a gallon of water and then dump a bag of ice down the toilet and drive a few miles so the ice can bounce around and clean the packed on stuff off the sides and bottom. Once the ice melts, empty the tank. I don't think you would have to do this every time, but once or twice a season would be ok.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water