Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I see you have a Tiffin Allegro Bay. I think a tank replacement would be $$$ and if this is a reoccurring problem a new tank may not be a fix. Try this first:
Do the wand cleaning, filling the tank 2/3 or more with water (hose right down the toilet) prior to dumping to get the mound down. Repeat a couple times.
Then I think you need to put 5 gal of hot water, soap, water softener (Geo method) and drive 10 miles or more to shake things up - fill the tank 2/3 with water and dump again.
I think that if you do this Geo/drive/fill/dump every 10 days (your normal dump cycle) and your issue should dissolve within 3 or 4 trips. Plus you tank will smell good:>)
After each dump, add 5 gal of water with the soap/softener mixed in.
Prior to driving, I use 5 gal of hot water, liquid laundry soap, Gain liquid fabric softener then drive/fill dump (vs. the water softener in the Geo method). This cleaned my tank issues.
Then get in the habit of adding 5 gal of water after each dump and dump with 2/3 tank or more you should be OK.
T hanks, Rv is set up in a park, and I use to stay in 5 days/week for work. So moving would be hard for me, but will do everything else you said.
First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #16

You can also try, if you haven't, just filling and dumping over and over again. And using ice cubes as well. The thought there is, as you fill and dump, the ice cubes will scrape down debris on their way out -- not as good as driving it, but if you just keep doing it repeatedly it may help.

Not the most fun way to spend 3 or 4 hours, but it beats the troubles you are haing now.

Steve
Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just went through what may be similar. I have a pedal flush. With an angle in the down pipe to the tank. Odor and stoppage was the symptoms. Also tank level indicator was erratic.

Filled tank a couple times and dumped. Ran the flush for a couple hours. Worked a stick down the toilet till I could no longer feel anything soft. Filled and dumped a couple more times. Ran the flush for another hour or so.

All appears OK now.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I just went through what may be similar. I have a pedal flush. With an angle in the down pipe to the tank. Odor and stoppage was the symptoms. Also tank level indicator was erratic.

Filled tank a couple times and dumped. Ran the flush for a couple hours. Worked a stick down the toilet till I could no longer feel anything soft. Filled and dumped a couple more times. Ran the flush for another hour or so.

All appears OK now.
Well at least I have something to do on my next 2 days off. Thanks for everyones input. Very much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Tony you must be speaking the King's English! I hope somebody doesn't use a "torch" in their holding tank!
Queens English - or the Australian version anyway.

Yes, I normally try and use the local dialect applicable to whatever forum I'm posting on so as to not confuse or even upset/insult people (although I refuse to use "weird" spelling just on principle because we had the spelling first) and I realised afterwards that I should have used "flashlight", but couldn't be bothered going back to change it.

However, if all else fails, maybe an actual flaming torch down the hole while standing back well clear, might be a quick solution to any blockage. Just don't put any drain cleaner down first.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Queens English - or the Australian version anyway.

Yes, I normally try and use the local dialect applicable to whatever forum I'm posting on so as to not confuse or even upset/insult people (although I refuse to use "weird" spelling just on principle because we had the spelling first) and I realised afterwards that I should have used "flashlight", but couldn't be bothered going back to change it.

However, if all else fails, maybe an actual flaming torch down the hole while standing back well clear, might be a quick solution to any blockage. Just don't put any drain cleaner down first.
I understood you Tony
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How is your water pressure? Low water pressure may not clean out the toilet bowl. A few times have had to remove the pressure regulator on the hose end to get adequate water pressure to clean out the bowl and disperse the solids in the tank.
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
How is your water pressure? Low water pressure may not clean out the toilet bowl. A few times have had to remove the pressure regulator on the hose end to get adequate water pressure to clean out the bowl and disperse the solids in the tank.
Pressure is strong. Going to RV store today and buy a water wand and other stuff. Will let you know stinky outcome!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On our toilet, we lift the handle to add water to 1/2 bowl full prior to depositing poo. We dump at 3/4 full or more when possible, then use the flushing connection for 5 minutes while also flushing the toilet with a FULL bowl 3 times. If it isn't flushing right because somebody didn't follow the rules, I start by using the flexible wand to push as much yuck into the tank as possible, then hook the hose to the wand and give it an enema, and follow up with using a full stream spray nozzle down the hole to really clean the elbow at the bottom and blast away the dreaded poo pyramid.

Poo is the word Mike Rowe finally decided to use when referring to fecal material on the Dirty Jobs TV show, and was used quite frequently as you can imagine. He had a whole segment on just that topic.

Oh, and I prefer the citrus TST by Camco RV toilet treatment in single application bottles, about a buck a bottle, ten at a time.

Can we change the subject now?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water