Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #43

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Lightbulb Pyramiding of stuff in the black tank ... Yikes

This kind of pyramiding in an RV has been a concern with RV manufacturers for a long time. This problem is not cool and pretty much unnecessary ...

Here is an idea ... Why not have the black tank designed with an internal "sprinkler" system that is plumbed to allow us to turn on a switch and shower the inside of the tank whenever pyramiding is not desired. This would just be a valve, some wiring, a sprinkler, some piping, possibly a pump and some sensors ... This would eliminate the plumbing from sinks to black tank, etc.

Ummm ... May be time to apply for a Provisional Patent ...
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
This kind of pyramiding in an RV has been a concern with RV manufacturers for a long time. This problem is not cool and pretty much unnecessary ...

Here is an idea ... Why not have the black tank designed with an internal "sprinkler" system that is plumbed to allow us to turn on a switch and shower the inside of the tank whenever pyramiding is not desired. This would just be a valve, some wiring, a sprinkler, some piping, possibly a pump and some sensors ... This would eliminate the plumbing from sinks to black tank, etc.

Ummm ... May be time to apply for a Provisional Patent ...
This would eliminate the need to hook up an external water hose to the San T Flush type of devices... but it would have to make a connection between your fresh water supply and your black tank so some serious "back flow" considerations would need to be taken into account.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #45

My system has a "black tank flush" system built in.
I connect a hose to it, turn it on, and it sprays the internals of the tank.

Is this somehow different than what you're suggest to get a provisional patent on?

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
We have what we have and need to live with it. Ideas are only that in most cases.

I installed a vortex vent on the black tank stack and use about 4/5th of a coffee mug full of great value dishwasher power mixed with hot water to dissolve it, and another mug of baking soda dissolved in hot water and dump these down the hopper about a day after I dump. No more smells and the tank sensors are working fine. Also, I usually dump at around 3/4 and flush well with the San-T-Flush. Has been working great and is safe for the septic systems I dump into.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
My system has a "black tank flush" system built in.
I connect a hose to it, turn it on, and it sprays the internals of the tank.

Is this somehow different than what you're suggest to get a provisional patent on?

Jim
I think the difference is that he's talking about one which doesn't need to have the external hose connected but uses the on board water instead. Actually, if it were plumbed to use grey water instead of fresh water it might be pretty cool and would also serve as a means to transfer grey water into the black tank to maximize holding capacity. Hmmm....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
WOW info overload, I have read all threads and answers, so many idea's or fixes.
So far 3 years and we always empty tanks. Only have stayed at camp ground's so we used there facilities. Just liquids in the Blk tank in MH. Gray smelt worst than our blk tank
But we will be doing more boon docking and full time next fall so I am not sure which way to go with all the above solutions.
I remember my boating days the toilet/boat all smelled and then add the chemicals and there smell, sicking.
I don't know which one to use.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Besides using the GEO method, if you have a Sani-T-Flush or similar system flush the black tank until the water runs clear. Of course you'll need a clear adapter to see the waste coming out. When flushing I close the drain valve for a few seconds a couple of times when flushing the tank. Just don't get distracted when the valve is closed and leave it closed to long.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #50

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think the difference is that he's talking about one which doesn't need to have the external hose connected but uses the on board water instead. Actually, if it were plumbed to use grey water instead of fresh water it might be pretty cool and would also serve as a means to transfer grey water into the black tank to maximize holding capacity. Hmmm....

Rick

Rick, I think Spritz needs a version with your grey water connection idea. Great for Boondocking.

Here is the ideal black water tank system. May be Newell or Prevost will design it ...

You plumb it so that you can use either water from the Grey tank or fresh water. You take either water and pressurize it with an air-over-water pressure tank. Then, you run the pressurized water to the sprinkler inside the black water tank. The sprinkler now moves up and down the inside of the tank until a sensor says that all that is left inside the tank is shiny metal. Theeeen, you filter the solids flowing out of the tank into an assembly that collects, compacts and dries the solids to the consistency of coffee grounds ... DW says

Spritz would then take his dried up and compact bag of coffee and bury it behind the sand dunes at his Boondocking location. Plants eventually recycle the fertilizer ... Spritz returns to the same spot a few years later. He is surprised to find a new bush behind the dunes. He harvests berries from the new plan to put on his oatmeal at breakfast, thereby completing the "Cirrrrcle of Liiiife"

If any one designs and builds something like that, I want one ...

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many are just over thinking this. We found out while boondocking, to make the grey tank stretch, we would throw the dish water down the toilet. It solves a lot of problems. We do also use softener and soap. The only time we get a hint of smell is when flushing when the tank is very close to full.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
WOW info overload, I have read all threads and answers, so many idea's or fixes.
So far 3 years and we always empty tanks. Only have stayed at camp ground's so we used there facilities. Just liquids in the Blk tank in MH. Gray smelt worst than our blk tank
But we will be doing more boon docking and full time next fall so I am not sure which way to go with all the above solutions.
I remember my boating days the toilet/boat all smelled and then add the chemicals and there smell, sicking.
I don't know which one to use.

Tim
Yea. So many ways. So few days to try them all.

We were at Forest City having work done on our old coach. The Winnebago tech suggested the cheap enzyme based power dish detergent. He had learned this method from some folks he had done work for. It helps keep the tank sensors working, breaks up the clumps and reduces the bad smell. I added the baking soda to the mix and that seems to really sweeten things up and is environmentally friendly. You can do this to both tanks. It is easy and inexpensive.

Rick
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick
Rick would you mind if I use your idea. I have a macerator pump with a gray water bypass. I could take the gray water bypass hose and put it to another pump and do exactly what you are talking about. The plumbing would be pretty simple all it would need is a selector valve for the bypass hose ouput. and another 12 volt water pump. When I park at campgrounds without individual sewer connections ( Like COE parks) it would double the length of time I had before I had to go dump tanks.

Really good idea.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #54

Yes great idea. Depending on how the gray/black tanks are oriented one could simply use gravity to move the water from the gray tank to the black tank. Just plumb a drain line from the top of the gray to the top of the black.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #55

I started using the Blue Streak system a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it. I think Thetford bought the company a year or so back, but the pricing is still good. I probably only spend $10 a season.
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, tank, water