Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #15

Thanks for all your feedback folks, I love this site!

I called up my sceptic pumping company and they said they can pump it next Wed.
In the meantime my RV service guy was here just now and he was able to screw a shaft into the valve, Not sure how he screwed it in because my shaft doesn't have threads. I asked him how he got it in but his answer was kind of vague, just said it screwed in which has me perplexed to say the least. I'm hoping the shaft will hold while the septic company pulls opens the blade to flush it. Any thoughts on how he got it to screw in? Sorry for the questions but I'm just a beginner full timer and still have LOTS to learn still lol
Gabriel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #16

I have this page from another forum (Airstream) bookmarked as I have always dreaded that happening so wanted to know how somebody else may have solved it if I ever had the unpleasant experience of that happening to me.

Waste valve handle and rod pulled out of the valve

He gives step-by-step instructions with photos on how he got the job done starting with post #10 plus additional helpful hints from others participants in the thread. He used a Dremel tool (like THIS) so hopefully you have one but if not, they're really useful for a lot of other things that pop up so might be a good investment.

You may want to look into installing an additional twist-on gate to catch the flood once you're able to open the defective one that has no rod to pull (like THIS ONE at Amazon) if you decide not to have the tank pumped out from the toilet.

Good luck and good to see you now posting on the forum.

Oppps, I posted this not realizing that you've already solved your problem. I won't delete my post as that link to the Airstream forum may be a good reference for somebody else searching for advice on how to solve this problem in the future.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #17

I’m guessing you have been dumping grey on the ground. Without dumping the black tank your out of luck replacing valve.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
The real issue here is, do you have any of the "stem" left in view. If so, you can attach a normal drain hose, attach it to a portable dump tank, and pull the stem with a pair of vise grips, and empty the tank. If you don't have any stem showing, you have one big mess to prepare for.
Use a Saws-All to cut the black plastic housing the broken shaft went through, then you'll be able to grab the steel rod with pliers. Just make sure you have your turd hurder in place first. Oh, and make sure whatever you're catching the "stuff" is of suitable size to handle all your black "stuff".
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
I feel your pain, on our first trip out on our last MH we went to dump and the same thing happened. A totally full tank.

I took the easy (but not cheap) way out and went to Camping World. They sent the poor new guy out in a hazmat suit and face mask. I didn't see how they did it but they were hosing down the area afterwards !

Can't remember but I think it cost between $200-$300. Was it worth it - I thought so at the time!

Unfortunately they also screwed up the grey water valve (somehow twisted the pipe?) and I didn't see that until the next day at our new camping site seeing soapy water under the coach.

I fixed that one for around $10.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well first it is possible to empty the tank from the top. or nearly empty it, You may need do do a bit of "Re-Leveling" but a good hydraulic jack cna be your friend

How to do it? Call the local Portable Toilet Folks, they can suck it out via the toilet in many cases.

Then raise the Service side and dissassemble the valve. put a bucket under it as .. There will be mess (the sucker won't get it all).

Replace valve and re-level.

But I would go with the suggestion to cut into the part of the valve housing where the blade slides when you open it, there you can grab hold with vice grips and open the valve. again you may have SOME mess but not a lot. then do your replacement and be gone.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:42 AM   #21

Welcome to the forum! We're sorry that it took a problem to join us, but we hope that you will stay engaged after you have it resolved.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
wondering if you could use a long deck screw threaded into the gate and then a vise grip to pull the valve open ? Drain , clean tank and then replace valve?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a portable macerator pump. It could be used with a hose down the toilet to empty the tank. I'd use something like Happy Camper Extreme to maximize the liquidification of any solids before pumping..

Jack up the left side of the RV when you change the valve. Makes for less mess.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I’m guessing you have been dumping grey on the ground. Without dumping the black tank your out of luck replacing valve.
No, would never dump Grey water anywhere but a portable tank though I understand some people do.

So far the screwed in shaft has been working but I do intend to replace it after next dump
Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #25

The valves are around 15.00$ I bought a new one this spring. I pulled the old valve open and nothing came out. I was lucky I had dumped before hitting home and forgot. It was a good day for me lol.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, valve, water