Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Black wheels

Anyone been brave enough to powder coat aluminum wheels black or seen any motorhomes with black wheels?? Or the solid discs on the rear you see on semis??? Never have been a fan of the polished aluminum wheels .
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

I've recently seen a Renegade XL and a Classic with the black wheels. One of them is on nocoastdesign.com
Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem16 View Post
Anyone been brave enough to powder coat aluminum wheels black or seen any motorhomes with black wheels?? Or the solid discs on the rear you see on semis??? Never have been a fan of the polished aluminum wheels .
Well Sir,
It just so happens we were finishing up a 6,400 mile trip a couple of weeks ago and, while getting on the freeway from getting fuel, I saw what I thought was a newer coach go by us with BLACK WHEELS. I asked the wife, "did you see what I saw"? She said yep, "BLACK WHEELS" on a motor home? Yuck.

So, after a while we caught up with it and, yep, all black, including the lug nuts. Now, folks, this is all a matter of opinion here and everyone has their taste(s). Neither of us are fans of black wheels on ANYTHING much less our coach. We've got a nice '11 GMC 1500 4x4 with Chrome wheels and, our Jeep is a '15 JKUR with Combo Black and machined aluminum. The only reason I got them with PARTIAL black is because it was the only version of those wheels that I liked. They came in all black too.

So, while we see dozens of vehicles every day running around here with all black wheels, I'm afraid we're not going to fall into that crowd. Kind-a like wearing a baseball hat backwards, AINT HAPPENING!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
It just so happens we were finishing up a 6,400 mile trip a couple of weeks ago and, while getting on the freeway from getting fuel, I saw what I thought was a newer coach go by us with BLACK WHEELS. I asked the wife, "did you see what I saw"? She said yep, "BLACK WHEELS" on a motor home? Yuck.

So, after a while we caught up with it and, yep, all black, including the lug nuts. Now, folks, this is all a matter of opinion here and everyone has their taste(s). Neither of us are fans of black wheels on ANYTHING much less our coach. We've got a nice '11 GMC 1500 4x4 with Chrome wheels and, our Jeep is a '15 JKUR with Combo Black and machined aluminum. The only reason I got them with PARTIAL black is because it was the only version of those wheels that I liked. They came in all black too.

So, while we see dozens of vehicles every day running around here with all black wheels, I'm afraid we're not going to fall into that crowd. Kind-a like wearing a baseball hat backwards, AINT HAPPENING!
Scott
Lol no backwards ball cap here ether. Some vehicles look good with black wheels some don't. Got a dark gray Camaro with black wheels I kind of like the blacked out look. Just kind of wondering what dark color motorhome would look like that way. Thx
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Lol no backwards ball cap here ether. Some vehicles look good with black wheels some don't. Got a dark gray Camaro with black wheels I kind of like the blacked out look. Just kind of wondering what dark color motorhome would look like that way. Thx
Well I'm another that don't like the new fad of BLACK wheels on anything. If you're rally wanting black wheels do somebody else a favor and trade them your aluminum wheels and powder coat the steel wheels.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

I agree with powder coated steel wheels. Mine are medium gray and go with the black/grey/white paint job.
The nice part of black wheels is that they look decent without polishing. Your coach, you pick.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

I can't see my wheels from the cockpit.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Better to have them black anodized.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
When I was a kid there were very few chrome or aluminum wheels. There were fads of red wheels, white wheels,black wheels and then they started selling chrome or mag wheels. It is just another fad and someone is making money on it.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #10

The wife and I were on a trip to Oregon a couple of weeks ago and I saw a newer Thor Tuscany with blacked out wheels. I thought it looked pretty nice. The lower half of the coach was also black. I'm also one who likes different looking things that is why I ordered my 2017 pace arrow in a color combination that is not offered on the pace arrow 38k. I think if you like the look of black wheels go for it.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #11

I could go for black wheels, on the right color MH... gray or silver.

My MH is four or five shades of brown. I don't think black would look so good on it

I have very seriously considered having the aluminum wheels on my motorcycle powder coated (black). It would be so much easier to keep them clean. Un-coated aluminum is a pain in the rear to keep polished.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
There is a product called Plastidip which is probably misspelled.It is a spray on and if you don't like it, it is easily peeled off. pretty durable so you don't have to worry about it coming off. Lots of car people use it to black out the chrome on the vehicles. It does come in different colors. Can be found in some auto parts stores.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just looked for the post and photo of a Dutch Star which I believe has a grey and silver paint job, no swirls, just two tone and black wheels.

It looks okay. Not something I would order. I already have issues keeping the dark colors on my coach clean.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last week my neighbor sprayed his shiny chrome wheels black on a Dodge pickup truck.

It was a paint made special for chrome wheels, probably what dons2346 mentioned.

He said his friends have used it and it holds up good.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote