Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #57

I agree with above. Put 2 new tires on the front and move the existing tires/wheels to the back dually where the blow out occured.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2022, 06:13 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
The “always” rule doesn’t always apply. On passenger vehicles, tire manufacturers and insurance companies recommend that the new tires be installed on the rear axle.
Well, I suggest you read it again. "Always" is part of the statement for trucks and by extension, coaches, which is exactly what the topic is.

As for the position of new tires on a car, I will stick by my statement. If I have to pick from 'rear stability' or braking power/control, I will take the latter every day of the week...especially with FWD vehicles. Yeah, I have read the statements. The facts are: Front provides steering control and 2/3 of the braking. Rear simply follows along and for RWD, propels the car. Actually, I maintain all 4 so I will not be in that position, but I believe the 'new on the rear' statements are highly subjective.

DOT regulations specify minimum tread for the front to be greater than the rear for a reason. Sort of flys in the face of the 'new in the rear' statements.
islandboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:25 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Show me a CDL training manual that says to step on the throttle with a front tire blow out.

I have seen the 1 video that everybody references but no actual writen training .
Ours did, but I am retired and do not have access to it. Try this:

https://www.truckinginfo.com/312339/...e-to-be-deadly

Drivers have told me it does work. I personally have never had it happen. And I spent 25 years as a DOT regulatory guy for a pretty large company. First name basis with people at FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association - the people that write/review/publish 49CFR) and not to be confused with FMCA.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy54 View Post
Well, I suggest you read it again. "Always" is part of the statement for trucks and by extension, coaches, which is exactly what the topic is.

As for the position of new tires on a car, I will stick by my statement. If I have to pick from 'rear stability' or braking power/control, I will take the latter every day of the week...especially with FWD vehicles. Yeah, I have read the statements. The facts are: Front provides steering control and 2/3 of the braking. Rear simply follows along and for RWD, propels the car. Actually, I maintain all 4 so I will not be in that position, but I believe the 'new on the rear' statements are highly subjective.

DOT regulations specify minimum tread for the front to be greater than the rear for a reason. Sort of flys in the face of the 'new in the rear' statements.
I followed your suggestion. “It is always best to have the best tires on the front”.
That’s the statement.

I understand the topic. I also understand that some folks know more than tire manufacturers and insurance companies.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #61
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M
So basically adding throttle to maintain speed until full control is gained?
Probably more "to not cause a dramatic decrease in speed before control is regained".

When a front tire loses air, the drag (rolling resistance) increases and the vehicle will move in the direction of the flat, sometimes VERY rapidly. I guess it's like only that one front brake applying.

Adding throttle does two things, supposedly:

Because the rear wheels are the drive wheels, keeping power on the rear wheels will slightly unload the weight from the front wheels, one of which is low on air or flat.

It gives you some breathing and thinking time so you do not reflexively and immediately stomp on the brake pedal, causing the front end to have even more drag from the brakes. That can exacerbate the movement of the motorhome to one side, off the road or into another vehicle.

We've never experienced such a flat, yet, but I'm hoping the knowledge that what you do not want to do is immediately hit the brakes kicks in.

At least this is how I understand it.

Ray
Old 03-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #62

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
On this thread's line of thought, last time I went to Discount Tire (or a time a few years back) I was told that the tire industry now recommends the best tires on the rear. I am not sure I agree with that but understood their reasoning once explained. With that in mind and contrasting that recommendation with a Motor Home (mine is a class c but the same thoughts should apply), is it better to have the best tires on the steer axle or the rear axle(s)? I personally feel more comfortable with the newest tires up front as a single rear blowout has a tire next to it that a car doesn't have. ~CA

The "best on the rear" makes sense for cars but for MH I recommend Best on fronts for different reason.
In a car few drivers can handle "over-steer" which is what you can get with a rear tire failure. Rear failure e of MH with dual rear would be less likely to have a loss of steering with a rear tire failure. Loss of a front on a large MH would, I believe, be of greater concern.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #63

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
The tire spec is 16ply for my size 255/70/22.5.

https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...position-tire/

"Ply" went out in the 50's with the transition to Nylon in Bias tires.
"Ply Rating" was the interim term when maybe 6 ply or layers could provide the same total strength as 8 or 10 ply of the weaker cords.

"Load Range" is the correct term for Radials that usually have a single radial body ply of steel.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #64

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobird View Post
With the size some of us run, and higher percentage of loading, one would think that there is some detailed training material available on tires.

What to large rig CDLs have in terms of training? Are there vendors, or YouTube videos which could help us learn more, and perhaps spot problems sooner?

I give multiple seminars at FMCA Int'l Conventions and will be in Tuscon AZ Mar 25 & 26. I also write a blog on RV Tire Safety. 500+ posts on tires, valves, TPMS and wheels. Nothing for sale all the info is free. I am a retires Tire design Engineer and RV owner.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:02 PM   #65

Commercial Member

Quote:
The “always” rule doesn’t always apply. On passenger vehicles, tire manufacturers and insurance companies recommend that the new tires be installed on the rear axle.
Yes but this is for Passenger cars not Motorhomes.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes but this is for Passenger cars not Motorhomes.
Thank you, that clarifies that it doesn’t always apply.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #67

How to properly inflate motorhome tires and why I need a TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobird View Post
With the size some of us run, and higher percentage of loading, one would think that there is some detailed training material available on tires.

What to large rig CDLs have in terms of training? Are there vendors, or YouTube videos which could help us learn more, and perhaps spot problems sooner?
From what I've read here, I'm of the belief that the OPs tire failed from one of two reasons:
1) It was under inflated, began to over heat, when he turned, it blew
2) It was damaged previously by either hitting something, maybe jumping a curb or whatever and then over time—because the inside dually always runs hotter than the outside—the damage got worse and then blew.
I persoanally believe it was #1.

I don't understand why anybody running ANY KIND of an RV would not have a TPMS.

To Mongobird:
There's a lot of information out there. You just have to look for it. Here's a great video I found about a year ago on YT.

This same fella has another sweet video on TPMS
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I followed your suggestion. “It is always best to have the best tires on the front”.
That’s the statement.

I understand the topic. I also understand that some folks know more than tire manufacturers and insurance companies.
So funny. I could take you through the physics but I am pretty sure you would get lost. I want to see the tire manufacturer's skid pad results - if you find them, let me know.
The regulations state what they state due to physics and have not changed. You may not have recognized it, but nothing you have produced has said anything about putting the best tires on the rear of a coach (or truck). Do what you want, just don't drive near me.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy54 View Post
So funny. I could take you through the physics but I am pretty sure you would get lost. I want to see the tire manufacturer's skid pad results - if you find them, let me know.
The regulations state what they state due to physics and have not changed. You may not have recognized it, but nothing you have produced has said anything about putting the best tires on the rear of a coach (or truck). Do what you want, just don't drive near me.
You are correct. I said putting the best tires on the rear axle applies to passenger vehicles. Read it again.

Safe travels.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
That’s the statement.

I thought it might help the supposed know it all to see what Michelin ACTUALLY says.

Replacement of Two Tires
All four tires should be replaced at the same time. However, if only two
tires are replaced, the new ones should be put on the rear. Deeper tread
tires on the rear axle provide better handling, wet grip and evacuate water,
thereby helping to avoid oversteer and loss of vehicle stability on wet
surfaces. Deeper tread tires on the front axle can improve wet straight
line braking and stopping distance. If only two tires are being replaced,
Michelin generally recommends they be installed on the rear axle in the
absence of a tire service professional's recommendation or consumer's
preference to the contrary.

So basically, if a tire professional thinks otherwise or the consumer wants it different, it is fine. And there are a lot of "should' not shall or must in that statement. Apparently Michelin is willing to sacrifice front handling and braking. I am not. I can handle oversteer (or understeer) if it were to occur and do not really see why they would even suggest biasing it that way. Even in their own words, it is subjective.

Tags
tire