Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #1

Blew a 4 year old tire!

Looking for opinions! blew an inside dual tire over the weekend. Happened as I was turning a corner - heard a loud bang in the back, and looked in the mirror to see what parts fell off! Pulled over, and saw the carnage. Good news was I had an old unmounted spare, and got someone out in an hour and was on my way, and was able to make it home the last 50 miles without incident.

Here's the question - all four rears have a date code of 5217, so just over 4 years old! Really hoped I could go 6-7 years before needing to replace. The fronts were 2013 when I bought in 2019, so went ahead and did those. These are Toyo M177, so good quality tires (had a trucker tell me one time those are his favorite to run on his rig!), and had proper pressures at the start of the short 2 day trip. The spare is 2013, so definitely need to replace there, but should I do all 4? Just 2 on the one side? Just the 1? Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	358528   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	358529  

castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Wow, did you have a TPMS to alert for any possible leakage before the blowout ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #3

Depends on your budget. I’d change all four and use one for a newer spare.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
That's pretty wicked. Tires don't just blow; either it leaked or was damaged by something. Without TPMS, you'll never know which. Glad it didn't cause any injuries!
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
That's pretty wicked. Tires don't just blow; either it leaked or was damaged by something. Without TPMS, you'll never know which. Glad it didn't cause any injuries!
Yep they usually lose air without you knowing it then they come apart, but in this case he said he heard a bang while turning a corner, kind of scary to have that happen and I am really curious as to what caused it, could have been damaged a while back like you say. I actually have seen tires just blow up while sitting in the sun, happened to me once when I was working on a live electrical panel, a tire blew up just 6 feet from me and scared the poop out of me! Weird stuff like that always happens when working on a live panel, a couple times I would hear an explosion off in the distance right when switching on a breaker, nothing to do with what I was working on whatsoever. First rule when vibrating pagers were the norm, take pager off before working on energized panel.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would replace all four. Better if you could swing all 6 and keep one of the 2019 tires on the front for a spare.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:35 AM   #7

To the OP, were you running the pressure per the coach sticker or per the tire sidewall? Have you weighed your corners?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:38 AM   #8

Interesting.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Hmm..inside dual. Something that some tire outfits forget to do is make sure that the dual tires are the same diameter.. and will build heat if they are not..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #10

not good. I am anal about checking tire pressure the day we start our trip. even then no guarantees.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #11

Is this from changing the tire or road damage. Did it blow between the tires ?

Any marks on the inside of the outer tire ?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220307-115111.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	358540
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
On this thread's line of thought, last time I went to Discount Tire (or a time a few years back) I was told that the tire industry now recommends the best tires on the rear. I am not sure I agree with that but understood their reasoning once explained. With that in mind and contrasting that recommendation with a Motor Home (mine is a class c but the same thoughts should apply), is it better to have the best tires on the steer axle or the rear axle(s)? I personally feel more comfortable with the newest tires up front as a single rear blowout has a tire next to it that a car doesn't have. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Is this from changing the tire or road damage. Did it blow between the tires ?

Any marks on the inside of the outer tire ?Attachment 358540
Yes, this was the side between the duals. Noticed no marks on the other during the change. I was also curious about that "wet" mark next to the cut... pretty sure it was there before the tire change, so that may be a clue.

No, I do not have a TPMS system, so no advance warning of air loss. As others have said, since I heard a loud bang, there must've been plenty of pressure before it let go!

Regarding the pressure I run at - the wall sticker recommends 115 psi up front, 105 in the back. That's also for the original Goodyear 275/80R22.5. I'm now running 295/75s, and I run ~110 at all 4 corners. I have weighed the rig, but only have axle weights, not the 4 corners.

I'm leaning towards 4 new, as I need a "newer" spare anyway. Just not thrilled about shelling out $450+ a tire plus mounting right now, especially with fuel prices through the roof already taking a bite out of the budget!
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
On this thread's line of thought, last time I went to Discount Tire (or a time a few years back) I was told that the tire industry now recommends the best tires on the rear. I am not sure I agree with that but understood their reasoning once explained. With that in mind and contrasting that recommendation with a Motor Home (mine is a class c but the same thoughts should apply), is it better to have the best tires on the steer axle or the rear axle(s)? I personally feel more comfortable with the newest tires up front as a single rear blowout has a tire next to it that a car doesn't have. ~CA
What I was told. That's for front wheel drive. You want the best on the rear so when of slippery surfaces mainly braking the rear does not slid up and around the front. I had it happen to me.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire