Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

Block heater

Good morning all,
This is my first foray into the winter north of the Mason Dixon line. Not liking it either. Please give me some direction regarding the block heater on a 450 Cummins in an 08 Mountain Aire. I have found a receptacle and a electrical cord in the engine compartment and would guess that this is the block heater hook up. Have looked in my manual with no luck so am putting this out there to the folks that know. There is also a switch forward above the dash labeled block heater so by plugging in the cord aft and switching the block heater switch on will that do the trick. They are forecasting teens this evening so would surely appreciate some feedback today if possible. Thanks in advance.
Dave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1 View Post
Good morning all,
This is my first foray into the winter north of the Mason Dixon line. Not liking it either. Please give me some direction regarding the block heater on a 450 Cummins in an 08 Mountain Aire. I have found a receptacle and a electrical cord in the engine compartment and would guess that this is the block heater hook up. Have looked in my manual with no luck so am putting this out there to the folks that know. There is also a switch forward above the dash labeled block heater so by plugging in the cord aft and switching the block heater switch on will that do the trick. They are forecasting teens this evening so would surely appreciate some feedback today if possible. Thanks in advance.
Yes, you will have to be on shore power or the generator running to supply 120v AC to operate it..........
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Are you getting ready to fire up the engine and leave tomorrow?

If you are staying put, no need to warm the engine.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

I would think that the block heater will only work if you are on Shore Power or your Generator... having said that, unless you are parked for months at a time with continuous below freezing temps, you probably don't really 'have' to use the block heater.

We are in the NC mountains and have had many continuous days of very low temps, teens and single digits sometimes, but I've never had any issue cranking the engine every week or so. We had 5 1/2" of snow overnight, and single digit temps overnight, and was no problem to crank the engine today.

if I were parked for months in low temps, I would use the block heater the day before I was prepared to leave - no need for it other than that.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Typically would only use the block heater if the temps are below freezing, and you are getting ready to start the engine to go somewhere. You'd need to be plugged into shorepower or generator, or the heaters won't have power. The colder the temp is, the longer the heater should be plugged in prior to starting.

Your plug or manual should have guidelines, but if you can't find anything I'd do at least 2-3 hrs if below freezing, maybe 4-5 hrs minimum if temps are below 20.

Don't leave the heaters on all the time, you'll have a huge electric bill, and be sure to turn off the heaters when the engine is started.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

On our coach the engine is directly over the engine. If I turn the block heater on before we go to bed, the heat from the engine warms the bed a little!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #7

block heater

Thanks to all that responded. I understand the block heater concept, that was not the question. I really just wanted to make sure that the receptacle and plug that I was looking at is the electrical source for the block heater. But again thanks to all that responded. Great group with so many knowledgeable folks.
Dave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, heat