Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Blow out protection

aNYONE KNOWWHERETO PURCHASE WHEEL INSERTS AS`SAFETY AGAINST BLOW OUTS ? OR SATEY BANDS ? JOHN
dykedelta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #2

Try this. There is a dealer list on the left side
Tyron Automotive
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steering Controls for RV's, Trucks, Buses | Safe-T-Plus Steering Control

Check out this link.....
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
DId you get the Tyron Bands? I was quoted $1000 per wheel today by the new north american distributor. I think that is just about double what it should cost.
Jim S
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
With respect to all concerning this subject, here is my opinion...

I have been driving motor homes since 1995. In that time span, I remember having FOUR FLAT TIRES. Two of them were when I was in a campground and I checked my tires before taking off that morning and one was a catastrophic blowout crossing Utah, in the middle of nothing and one tread peal and the tire stayed inflated. In fact, I drove about ten miles on the tire with the pealed tread.

The first two flats were simple punctures and slow leak downs while I was stopped so this ''thing'' would be useless because these were simple punctures that can happen to all of us.

The second two flats were bigger problems.

The one in Utah was catastrophic. B O O M ..... right rear, inside duel. The tire destroyed itself and dented the compartment directly behind the duel tires. We limped for about two miles on one duel to a safe area and waited 18 hours for a tire repair man to come and change the tire for us. Since then I have carried the capability of changing my own tires in an emergency. Yes my tires are 19.5 inch tires.....

The second one was a ''tread peal'' and the carcass stayed inflated. I drove about ten miles to a Wally World and call a repair service. IMHO this devise would have been useless for any of these tire situations.

True, I have not had a blow out on a front tire on my coach and I have been driving for sixteen years and about half a million miles. This devise may be handy for a front tire failure but I figure the odds are at least fifty fifty that if I have a tire failure it will usually destroy the tire in the process. I am not sure how well this devise would work if you ''BLEW ONE BIG TIME'' like I did out in Utah.

Personally, if this thing costs more than one hundred dollars a wheel, I would not be interested and I would only install them on the FRONT OF THE COACH.............

This is my opinion and I will show you my belly button later.....

If you use this valuable information you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me ........... good info aint cheap..... on the other hand
IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU .... I NEVER KNEW YOU....

Lets all thank a vet for our freedoms. SOME DIED TO GIVE THEM TO US.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
YES WE OWE OUR FREDOM TO OUR VETS (i AMONE OF THEM ) I have had 3 big blow out on mitchelin ,all below 4 yeas old and yes maintained to correct pressure andload .Caused by bad tires ,rusted steel belts ,Now my Rv uses same brand tire andMitchlin is only Mfg to make tire I use 22.5 /255/80 .rear tires thatblew on 95 HR caused lot of damage ,just concerned on front tire blowout,but I did not purchase the safety inserts .Just a thought .John
Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #7

Buy a Steer safe unit. Around $300 will give you better steering control and if you blow a front tire will save your butt...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks but for life of ne I canot figure how a steersafe unit would prevent bad pulling toward blow out tire .JD
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #9

Two weeks ago, returning from Florida I blew out the left front. BOOM and it was gone. I had the cruse on set at 60 in the center lane of I-75 passing someone slower. Had both hands on the wheel. If I would of had only one hand on the wheel the outcome might of been different. Months ago I watched that You Tube vedio on how the handle tire blowouts. The info stuck with me. I spead up just a little like it said to do. The MH never pulled hard to the left. Kept going straight for a bit and then started to brake and pull over to the right shoulder. What I didn't expect was the effort it took to pull the steering wheel to the right. I had to use more effort than I expected. Made it to the shoulder safely. Three hours and $1300 later I was on my way with two new front tires. The info in the You Tube vedio really does work.
Been motor homing since 1995. This was my first front tire blowout.
Moral to the story, speed up and always drive with both hands on the wheel.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
Two weeks ago, returning from Florida I blew out the left front. BOOM and it was gone. I had the cruse on set at 60 in the center lane of I-75 passing someone slower. Had both hands on the wheel. If I would of had only one hand on the wheel the outcome might of been different. Months ago I watched that You Tube vedio on how the handle tire blowouts. The info stuck with me. I spead up just a little like it said to do. The MH never pulled hard to the left. Kept going straight for a bit and then started to brake and pull over to the right shoulder. What I didn't expect was the effort it took to pull the steering wheel to the right. I had to use more effort than I expected. Made it to the shoulder safely. Three hours and $1300 later I was on my way with two new front tires. The info in the You Tube vedio really does work.
Been motor homing since 1995. This was my first front tire blowout.
Moral to the story, speed up and always drive with both hands on the wheel.
Greg
Thanks for your first hand report (sorry you had to do it tho). I watched that video a while back and wondered if I would remember. I did have a front passenger tire blow on my Alpine five years ago and it was a chore to handle. I hope I can remember to keep on the throttle like you did; although I will admit, I prefer to not have it happen again.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykedelta1 View Post
Thanks but for life of ne I canot figure how a steersafe unit would prevent bad pulling toward blow out tire .JD
Keep your RV's wheels pointed straight, even in a blowout.

Steer Safe is your answer to those everyday driving experiences that could become life-threatening to you or other drivers. Reduces the effect of passing trucks and protects against loss of steering control caused by pot holes, high winds, soft shoulders and road wander. Provides reliable protection from the front wheels to the steering gear box. Patented oscillatable fulcrum bar resists outside force, regardless of wheel position. USA.

WHAT IS STEER SAFE...
Steer Safe is installed on your vehicle's front steering arms and clamps onto the front axle. No welding is required. It's simply bolted on. Steer Safe's patented oscillatable fulcrum bar makes it the only true steering stabilizer on the market. It provides up to 400 lbs. of preset tension on each front wheel working against any outside forces. It keeps the front wheels pointed straight, even in a blowout.

HOW DOES IT WORK...
Unlike hydraulic shock absorber stabilizers that hook onto a vehicle's tie rod, Steer Safe offers protection from the front wheels to the steering gear box. No extra steering effort is required -- thereby lessening driver fatigue. Maintenance is not required because Steer Safe is equipped with Delrin bearings which never require servicing.

POWERFUL CONTROL IN DANGEROUS SITUATIONS.
Steer Safe protects you against front tire blowouts, potholes, soft shoulders, high winds, wandering, accidental encounters with curbs and high medians. It also reduces driver fatigue.

I drove tractor trailer for 12 years and would never be without one... I lost a close friend because of a front tire blow out and it made me a believer in this product.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion Steer Safe and similar stabilizer products are more hype than value. Sure, they all exert some pressure to keep the wheels centered, but it's not a lot. If it was very much center-pressure, how would you ever turn a corner? So the fact is, they are not going to do much to overcome the drag of a blowout. And we do have power steering, afterall. That gives you plenty of leverage over the wheels.

The main safety mechanism is the driver, as per the stories told above and the tire blowout video.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #13

I believe right now the issue with having wheel inserts is that when you have a flat tire, the person who comes to change it must have completed some training with this wheel system. It is not the same to remove a tire from a rim which has an insert as it is one without. You may have a 'very' long wait at the side of the road for a properly trained individual to come change your tire.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In my opinion Steer Safe and similar stabilizer products are more hype than value. Sure, they all exert some pressure to keep the wheels centered, but it's not a lot. If it was very much center-pressure, how would you ever turn a corner? So the fact is, they are not going to do much to overcome the drag of a blowout. And we do have power steering, afterall. That gives you plenty of leverage over the wheels.

The main safety mechanism is the driver, as per the stories told above and the tire blowout video.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I watched my 6' 2' 250lb buddy slam his Peterbuilt into a I-10 overpass because he had a front blow out and couldn't control it (with power steering). After that his company put Steer Safes on all their rigs and so did I. I never had to test one at high speed but I know guys who did and they lived to tell about it. Anything that can help you with a front blow out is a God sent. The tire blowout video should be seen by all as well. A blow out in any type rig with large tires and a lot of weight is much different than a blow out in a car. My 2 cents...