Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2022, 05:35 AM   #1

Blowing fuse for tail lights

We have a 2008 Tiffen Allegro Bay, has anyone else had the fuse for the tail lights fail? We got a late start on our last trip and got caught still out on the road after dark and were wondering why all the other vehicles around us were honking their horns. Pulled off the interstate and did a walk around, NO Tail Lights. Was just a big black space. Replaced the fuse and it immediately blew again. Any ideas or experiences? The shop we took it to has no clue!
GCollins3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #2

When things go haywire and don't make sense then keep critters in the back of your mind all the time... critters love to eat on rubber fuel lines and short wiring and nest in worst places.. usually when a shop said it has no clue.. this is code.. to let's see couple grand on table.. and we will start from there..
Hopefully members that have experienced this will chime in.. otherwise you will have tackle this job.. I would start at taillights.. check each bulbs and marker lights.. then anything that maybe connected to tail lights.. one thing.. on mine.. the factory tapped into tail lights power for rear camera power.. so if you have to like me.. turn on taillights then put in reverse and rear camera comes on.. then inspect those.. inspect all side marker lights.. there are many different testers to check for shorts..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the tow connector and wires. Maybe you ran over a gator.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:59 AM   #4

Good luck..Mine went out a couple of weeks ago and I was just looking for my post so I could let anyone know my outcome.
Not one shop in Wenatchee Wa. will even look at it, all sorts of excuses.
If I was 20 years younger and could see into the future, I'd open a shop in one of the small towns on HWY 2, Almira-Davenport-Wilbur. I bet the towns would give tax breaks etc. and they are close to hwy 90. So many folks who have-had purchased a motorhome R.V. would flock to a shop to take care of your needs. Not as the places who sold you your dreams, took your $$$ and want you to wait X months -years for service. Oh Well...Ride Safe everyone...(:+)........
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Check your trailer light receptacle for corrosion. Look at the back side of it too, where the wires enter the box.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #6

GCollins3205-

The tough part is finding the short.

Do the clearance lights and license plate lights work correctly in each location?

I'd remove the tail light bulbs. Put a new fuse in. If it blows again, then the short is probably elsewhere.

With the tail lights off, put a voltmeter across the contacts in each tail light socket and see if you get continuity (zero ohms) between them. If so, the short is in the positive lead of that contact pair. Test both sockets.

Also, test the ground lead in each socket to ensure it's at ground, compared to a known ground elsewhere on the coach.

Put a voltmeter on the pins of the hitch connector and make sure you are getting the correct signals at each pin (link here), especially the tail light signals.

Report your findings.

Later, after we've had a chance to digest your findings, open the trailer hitch connector and check the wiring there.

Finally, you may want to call Tiffin and Freightliner and ask for their advice.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:49 PM   #7

You can get one or both types of DC circuit short finders that may help.

Short Finder #1

Short Finder #2
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #8

Pull the fuses that feed the trailer/toad connection. Should be in an Arins box in rear compartment. Could be a short from there to the 7 prong plug or your toad connection. If you are pulling one.
Good luck/ Safe Travels
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
Pull the fuses that feed the trailer/toad connection. Should be in an Arins box in rear compartment. Could be a short from there to the 7 prong plug or your toad connection. If you are pulling one.
Good luck/ Safe Travels
At the time had nothing in tow. The first time it happened noticed the trailer wires had been chewed on. All of the other times no trailer or toad.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
GCollins3205-

The tough part is finding the short.

Do the clearance lights and license plate lights work correctly in each location?

I'd remove the tail light bulbs. Put a new fuse in. If it blows again, then the short is probably elsewhere.

With the tail lights off, put a voltmeter across the contacts in each tail light socket and see if you get continuity (zero ohms) between them. If so, the short is in the positive lead of that contact pair. Test both sockets.

Also, test the ground lead in each socket to ensure it's at ground, compared to a known ground elsewhere on the coach.

Put a voltmeter on the pins of the hitch connector and make sure you are getting the correct signals at each pin (link here), especially the tail light signals.

Report your findings.

Later, after we've had a chance to digest your findings, open the trailer hitch connector and check the wiring there.

Finally, you may want to call Tiffin and Freightliner and ask for their advice.
I have tried tracing all the pins in the toad connector with no luck. Have noticed that the amber turn signals are comprised of several small LED bulbs most of them are not working. Could there be a correlation between the two? Called Tiffin and they had no advice. (Tiffin has sold to Thor and is now not the same service). I am afraid to remove the bezel around the tail lights, understand they break very easily and I cannot find replacements for them. Being a 2008 model.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Check the tow connector and wires. Maybe you ran over a gator.
Anything is possible!
Old 09-29-2022, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
When things go haywire and don't make sense then keep critters in the back of your mind all the time... critters love to eat on rubber fuel lines and short wiring and nest in worst places.. usually when a shop said it has no clue.. this is code.. to let's see couple grand on table.. and we will start from there..
Hopefully members that have experienced this will chime in.. otherwise you will have tackle this job.. I would start at taillights.. check each bulbs and marker lights.. then anything that maybe connected to tail lights.. one thing.. on mine.. the factory tapped into tail lights power for rear camera power.. so if you have to like me.. turn on taillights then put in reverse and rear camera comes on.. then inspect those.. inspect all side marker lights.. there are many different testers to check for shorts..
Good luck and keep us posted
Just recently had my F150 wired for lights, at this time everything is working as it should. Have not been able to trace a short anywhere. Going to need to invest in a short finder I guess. Have several of the LED bulbs out in each of the tail/brake lights. The problem is Tiffin does not have replacements for a 2008 model nor would they provide a place where I could buy them. Tiffin now owned by THOR.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
You can get one or both types of DC circuit short finders that may help.

Short Finder #1

Short Finder #2
Thnak you

Tags
fuse, light, lights, tail lights