Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRats View Post
Itís a 2001 Newmar Dutchstar. Only just over 100K, well-maintained. The engine is a 3126B, and the turbo is shot, etc. Quotes are $35-45K. Itís sitting in a Texas truck shop 250 miles away.
You know MobyDick and the motorhome in question?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
WOW, here is a list of engines, from used, rebuilt, long block etc.....

Anywhere from $5000-$16,000

https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/cat...4c235f5m329399
Old 04-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #17

Another list of used engines
https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/...eselmotors.pl?
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
WOW, here is a list of engines, from used, rebuilt, long block etc.....

Anywhere from $5000-$16,000

https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/cat...4c235f5m329399

Amazing eh? If I could find a place to work (like some pavement) , some jacks and an engine hoist I would not be letting them rebuild my engine or do anything with it. Order in the used or rebuild and replace it yourself.
  • None of this is rocket science and a engine re and re is simply parts swap
  • Go talk to a local garage and see if he will let you keep the bus on the lot for 2 weeks. In fact go and see if he will do the work. You don't need to be a Cummings diesel shop to do this work. Any mechanic with tool set can do it.
  • Re and re the motor, put all the electronics back on and it should start right up. A diesel needs 3 things to run. Fuel, air and compression. You rotate it fast enough and it will start to run and will not stop until you take one of the 3 above.
  • If it does not run 100 % then take it to the shop so they can set it up a little better but I bet it is not required
  • For sure buy a shop manual because you need to know the torques

This member 08Navigator rebuilt his ISX and he had never built a diesel before and did not know much about them. Here is the thread.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cum...-a-401436.html

Now he had a heated garage but you don't need that to re and re a motor. A Harbour Freight motor lift and your away with the races.

Anyway, no need to spend 30-45k on a rebuild when rebuilds are available for 16k. Get the rebuild and have the local guy do the re and re and I bet you don't have to give him even 5k for his time.

Remember, the rebuilders are doing it all day everyday and have it down to a science and get good parts cheap, the guys at the dealership get 1 a year and its all done on the Chilton labour manual or similar with full Cummings list on the parts. A dead rabbit could replace an engine in the amount of time the labour manuals give you.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Like Red Green said. " If the girls don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy."
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyDick View Post
Last week, we had a runaway engine. Turns out we now have a totally blown engine. Repair costs are more than we can do. How can we get it home? TIA!
The question you asked help for 'kinda' got answered by others but most were trying to diagnose your issue or find out for their own knowledge. May not be what you were looking for....

To better help, do you have roadside assistance? If so, they may have a provision to get you home. I know the better ones do.

Do you have roadside with your insurance carrier? May be worth looking into at least.

Otherwise I may suggest you get on something like uShip, get a quote and have it brought home. That may be the least expensive option.

Hope this helps, and sorry for your situation :(
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Last week, we had a runaway engine. Turns out we now have a totally blown engine. Repair costs are more than we can do. How can we get it home? TIA!
Would love to have more details. Where did this happen? Where is home? What are going to do with the RV? What RV is this? What can be done to mitigate the damage?

So many questions....and MobyDick posted this two weeks ago. I wonder what happened.....
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same issue

Quote:
I had the same issue. Have a 400 cummins that the engine blew with 55k miles. I was on my way to Alaska from Indiana. Engine blew in St Paul Mn. The quotes I got in St Paul to replace the engine were over 60K. 85 % of all RV's are made in Elkhart In. It was cheaper, by more than 50%, for me to have to Flat Bed back to In than to have it replaced there. Also, Cummins has a recall on the ISL engine if yours fits within the years and block numbers.
rthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Domiciled in Florida, Full Timer west of the Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Denver Send a message via MSN to Denver Send a message via Yahoo to Denver
Buy my diesel

Quote:
I have a 2000 Monaco. It has the 8.3l Cummins ISC 350HP. 46000 miles.

In two to three weeks I will be parking my motorhome forever at my permanent boondocking site in the high desert SW. You are welcome to bid on the engine.

The Allison is also going up on the block.
Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Where are you located and what type of rig do you have?
Old 05-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.google.com/search?q=used...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Google is not always bad...
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey guys **** stop writing ****

He started this thread and hasn't been back. I checked, its 14 days since he has been logged into this site. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

Scroll to the top and click his name..... click "view public profile" ...... and right under his name says.....
Last Activity: 04-22-2021 11:59 AM (just after he started this thread)

Like I said 14 days ago... He doesn't need or want our help, and hasn't read even one of your responses.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #26

Another cause of diesel runaway is the seals in the turbo. The turbo uses engine oil to lubricate and cool itself. If a seal blows, the engine just drinks the oil until it is gone.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, don't know why people ask for help and then go MIA.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know.... Thats why I made post #25

But don't worry, people wont read and still just add stuff.

Sometimes I just post.... "SEE POST #25" after the last one.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine