Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #57

over filling oil will cause run off. has that happen to diesel pickup and also one of my class trucks. Was able to block off the air intake fast enough to stop both before doing any damage.

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #58

Yup, in a 2002 Cat 3126 with standard steel pan 19 quarts is correct with filter change.

More, and it will puke out the crankcase breather.

Have seen a number of people pour in 5 gallons and wonder why 1 quart is all over the back of the coach and toad. Yes, one quart of diesel oil sprayed out will make a HUGE mess.

The issue is compounded by inaccurate dipsticks which often-times caused continual overfilling. Remember, engine oil dipsticks are NOT Caterpillar or Cummins parts. They are ordered and installed by the chassis maker and MAY be accurate (or may not).

For decades, I have recommended calibrating the engine oil dipstick at the first/next oil change. It is FREE and only takes a few extra minutes.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Yup, in a 2002 Cat 3126 with standard steel pan 19 quarts is correct with filter change.

Have seen a number of people pour in 5 gallons and wonder why 1 quart is all over the back of the coach and toad. Yes, one quart of diesel oil sprayed out will make a HUGE mess.

The issue is compounded by inaccurate dipsticks which often-times caused continual overfilling. Remember, engine oil dipsticks are NOT Caterpillar or Cummins parts. They are ordered and installed by the chassis maker and MAY be accurate (or may not).

For decades, I have recommended calibrating the engine oil dipstick at the first/next oil change. It is FREE and only takes a few extra minutes.

I assume you mean to put in the manufacturer's recommended oil amount and then look at the dipstick and make a mark. This mark would be considered the new correct level?

This is a real "aha" moment for me because I always assumed the dipstick was gospel. I can think of a couple engines that never took the manufacturer's recommended amount of oil. It never occurred to me that the dip stick was wrong. I was likely over filling them although I had one that always showed high when I put the recommended amount of oil in.

No harm no foul for me because I never had a problem and likely the dipstick was only mildly out of calibration. I am a stickler for detail though.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

Yes, my husband figured that out. We wrote near the oil filler the correct #of quarts of oil and wrote it on the service write up every time as some of the Freightliner service centers didn’t seem to get the memo. Most of the time husband did the oil change himself. We still had a blowby issue.
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #61

I think I remember reading real old thread ,the published amount in older model Monaco 8.3 owners and dipstick were both 2-3qts. over. Owners were like after it blows out two qts it's fine the ah ha moment , they found other literature with proper amount.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
I put in 5 Gal. in my 8.3. Some people say 6 gal. Anything over 5 in my engine and it is blown out the breather. At 5 it doesn't burn or blow out anything. That's the add mark on my dip stick.

Tim
Old 05-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #63

I am trying to respond. For some reason, I have a really difficult time on this site; I can't respond, my posts get lost.
We had the motorhome towed to OK. We're parked here now still debating. We had a quote of $30K, to "fix" the engine. Apparently, our CAT 330HP was just a "loser," in the diesel field and is no longer being used. We haven't decided what to do on it. It's a clear title, but, it's a 2001. Blue Book is just a bit over the cost of the repairs. Can't sell it without an engine, but.....do we want to take a chance on something else going? Open for suggestions. We're not spring chickens. More like 73 and 82. But. We are NOT ready to just sit in rocking chairs. This is our home. I apologize to all who thought we were ignoring your comments and time spent looking up stuff for us. It's been a bad 4 months; health-wise and motorhome-wise. No excuses, just an explanation.
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyDick View Post
I am trying to respond. For some reason, I have a really difficult time on this site; I can't respond, my posts get lost.
We had the motorhome towed to OK. We're parked here now still debating. We had a quote of $30K, to "fix" the engine. Apparently, our CAT 330HP was just a "loser," in the diesel field and is no longer being used. We haven't decided what to do on it. It's a clear title, but, it's a 2001. Blue Book is just a bit over the cost of the repairs. Can't sell it without an engine, but.....do we want to take a chance on something else going? Open for suggestions. We're not spring chickens. More like 73 and 82. But. We are NOT ready to just sit in rocking chairs. This is our home. I apologize to all who thought we were ignoring your comments and time spent looking up stuff for us. It's been a bad 4 months; health-wise and motorhome-wise. No excuses, just an explanation.
Thanks for the update. Hope you guys can come up with a plan that works out. Best of luck.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:03 PM   #65

Used Engines

You might want to check with Colaw RV salvage in Carthage MO. They might be able to get you fixed up with a good used one. Good Luck
Ol Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:17 PM   #66

MobyDick first I would like to say sorry to hear of the misfortunes you are dealing with, hopefully you can resolve this in an acceptable manner.

You mentioned that the Cat 330 is a loser engine. I believe that your engine is a Cat 3126E 330HP, these are actually very good engines properly maintained. I have several in my fleet in various HP ratings from 250-330. These engines require oil changes every 250 hours with a minimum of once per year, it is best to change based on hours rather than miles. I’m just telling this to give you some background of your engine.

If you and your wife really like your coach and are healthy enough to continue using it I wouldn’t hesitate to replace your engine. This is assuming your coach is in good condition. The other option is wholesale it out and move on. Neither are great but I think that is about your only options. Regardless I wish you the best.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:12 AM   #67

Quote:
We replaced our CAT330 with a 170K miles on it, with a long block that we got thru a Catepillar repair shop. Call the closest CAT dealer (check the reviews to make sure they have good customer service). You can also check Jasper Engines, they had a few when we had our issues (BTW, we changed our engine before it gave out. And yes they were a problem, lots of blowby. Ours always passed the blowby test w/CAT. Then we ran out of warranty&#128556.

It will cost about $30K w/labor when all done. That is cheaper than you may be able to find a new coach. If you don’t have that money, I’m so sorry. Not sure what the solution is, if you want to keep traveling. Best of luck to you, with your health issues first and foremost, then resovling your motorhome issue.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:19 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
MobyDick first I would like to say sorry to hear of the misfortunes you are dealing with, hopefully you can resolve this in an acceptable manner.

You mentioned that the Cat 330 is a loser engine. I believe that your engine is a Cat 3126E 330HP, these are actually very good engines properly maintained. I have several in my fleet in various HP ratings from 250-330. These engines require oil changes every 250 hours with a minimum of once per year, it is best to change based on hours rather than miles. I’m just telling this to give you some background of your engine.

If you and your wife really like your coach and are healthy enough to continue using it I wouldn’t hesitate to replace your engine. This is assuming your coach is in good condition. The other option is wholesale it out and move on. Neither are great but I think that is about your only options. Regardless I wish you the best.
Believe his would be a 3126B. We have a 2002 Newmar Dutchstar and that’s what we had in ours. See my post above. We properly maintained the coach. We alternated taking in for service for the major stuff and husband did the oil/filter change, fuel filter, air filter, etc in between. It has blowby from the get go, but would always pass the tests when we took it in for blowby testing. Husband installed catch cans that help with the oil getting all over the tow car. Finally at 170K miles we just had it replace. At 220K now and no blowby issues at all.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #69

Quote:
Cat 3126 is considered one of the better diesel engines (see videos on youtube by Adept Ape). But, it doesnt have removeable cylinder linings, so rebuild is tough...

You can buy a school bus with 100k miles on it, with a 3126, for $5000. Theyre on craigslist all the time...

Pull the engine, replace...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
You consider just dropping a used engine in it and take a chance. If you do a search I'm sure you could find one fairly close. It would still cost money to get it changed out but might worth the risk. Look for something in a salvage vehicle,

I did a quick search of the Visione RV sight and they have a number of Cat engines, this will at least give you an idea of cost.

https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/...M121319/s1.pl?

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine