Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Blown hose - which one - Do you carry parts?

I have a large tool kit and could do most repairs on the road if I have parts.

So my question is what hose parts should I carry?
I can deal with the large radiator hoses. I am concerned about the small stuff for Air, Water, Oil, fuel and power steering. Skipping Air conditioner since I do not have AC gear and it will not cause me to be towed.

Recently I saw a post about a oil line rupture.

Asking if you have had a hose leak, what type and where did it leak?

Thanks
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

Radiator hoses would be the most common to fail, but even then it's not that often. If you are concerned then just change the hoses ever ten years or so. For most hoses, I would carry some duct tape and maybe JB Weld. You can't possible carry all the spare parts for your vehicle, so I would carry things for a temp repair to get you to a parts store.
Now if you are heading to a remote country, your concern for spare parts might be more valid??
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

I carry some hose clamps, radiator hose, about 5 ft of heater hose and belts and that’s it. Nothing for hydraulic since all of them are unique. That’s what’s great about having a toad. Can run and get something if not too far away.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

That's what I do... change out any hose over ten years old. I then keep the old hose as an emergency spare that I carry on the road with me.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #5

This is not about a radiator hose.

There are bunch of other hoses around the engine the are high pressure and made of high quality materials but over time they also breakdown. Hoses also can rub causing them to rupture. Some route to the front like power steering and AC.

I am not looking to prophylactically replace these hoses but rather for a fraction of cost carry a few parts that could fix them in the field.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

It will be the one hose you do not have with you that fails. It just somehow works that way.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #7

My experience in my 50 years of driving has been that the small curved thermostat "bypass" hoses and heater hoses are the ones most likely to fail. I've never had a power steering hose or A/C hose fail catastrophically, though they can sometimes develop leaks. The ones I would worry most about are those that leave you stranded if they fail. If your a/c fails you'll still be able to drive the rig. I suppose on a Class A motorhome a high pressure power steering hose failure might make the rig undriveable.

Fan belts are cheap insurance too. Even if you don't want to put one on yourself at least you have the part with you for a mechanic to do the work without waiting for one to arrive from the nearest big city.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I always carried a roll of rescue tape, wire ties, assortment of hose clamps, good duck tape, spare belts, a couple of the boots for the charge air cooler, bypass fittings for the air dryer, and compression fittings for the air lines, in case a air line breaks! Just about any hose can be patched with rescue tape, hose clamps, wire tires and such, to get you to a place where you can fix it right! Rail!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I carry spare hose clamps, gorilla tape, 5' of 3/4" heater hose and safety wire. The most likely hose to fail are heater hoses in my experience.
You can disconnect them at the engine and loop the 5' of heater hose in a pinch until parts are available. Aero quip and jic style hydraulic hoses are a whole other story and not easily repaired roadside. I have seen some pretty creative temporary patch jobs involving rubber wrap, duct tape and hose clamps before though.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are only so many parts you can carry. I probably have five times more parts than I will ever use. I find that I use them more for fixing other peoples' coaches on the road than mine.

If I find I have part that breaks and looks like it might be problematic in the future, I carry a spare. As an example, the Kwikee step motors have had many failures in the past few years. I carry a spare motor.

For hoses, I carry "rescue tape". If that won't temporarily fix it, the issue will most likely be too serious to bandage on the road.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts