Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #1

Blue Ox Patriot Brake?

A friend gave me his BRK2010 Patriot when he quit RVing. I have tried and tried to get it set up right. Seems every time I try to set-up it goes to error, "re-position brake" Blue Ox will no longer service this model. Anyone got any hints of what I'm doing wrong or is it just a piece of trash.

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Buddy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
Community Moderator

What vehicle is it going in? Pictures of your setup might also help to offer some clues.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the Operator manual? . Are you following the instructions for POSITION on pg 7?

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/2...10.html?page=7

The causes and actions for errors are explained (sort-of, anyway) on pg 9.

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/2...10.html?page=9
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #4

are you setting it up on a rubber floor matt. the directions for mine said to take the rubber matt out
Bob
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The Patriot will error if there the pedal actuator has too long travel between the rest and brake fully acuated positions when it is doing setup. This can be because the Patriot is moving back due to it compressing the front of the driver's seat while it is pushing out on the brake pedal.

You might try placing a retangle of plywood between the back of it and the front of the driver's seat, to reduce the amount the Patriot moves back when it is depressing the brake pedal.

Also make that it still has the 3 adjustment feet on the bottom of it, and that you have adjusted them so that when in the "rest" position with the actuator's claw attached to brake pedal that all 3 feet are touching the floor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #6

OK, It's a Patriot brk2010. I'm trying to place it in a 2010 Sport Trac (similar to an Explorer).
I took rubber floor mat out and trying on factory carpet floor mat. I cut a 12'X12", 1/4' piece of plywood to place between Patriot and seat.
I put feet in base (appeared to be close to level prior and after.) Most of the time on second set-up it will error, says (Re-position brake) I have gotten a "Ready" gain "5" about 5-6 times but have not been able to duplicate more than twice in a row without error. Feel like there has got to be something small that I'm missing. do I need to re-set Mode every time I attempt to install??
What am I doing wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	370015   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	370016  

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Old 07-04-2022, 06:50 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Since no one is offering any suggestions so far …. I will offer one.

Have you tried adjusting the drivers seat further back (away from the brake pedal). I have never had this brand of brake, but it looks from the picture to be kinda squished in tight? Maybe the actuator arm needs a little more room to work properly?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:02 AM   #8

I set brake into truck, clamp onto brake pedal then move seat up to touch it. But have tried both

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Old 07-04-2022, 09:25 AM   #9

Not sure how your toad brake system works, but in my MINI Cooper I get errors if I don't pump the brake pedal several times to fully deplete the vacuum pressure before I setup the portable Patriot system.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The other thing to check is the internal battery when it wears out it effects the unit even when plugged into power
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #11

I've already replaced the internal battery thinking that might be the issue. Not. The brake on the tow has been pressed 15-20 times trying to make it work. I have had seat back so far that board I was trying fell to floorboard. It appears to me (My only reference is past "Brake Buddy Classic") that there is quite a bit of movement in Patriot. when setting- up mode. Have not figured out in all attempts to minimize that movement. The feet seem to grab floorboard and then when plunger extends and retracts Patriot will lean or rock back or forward. I even put foil on feet hoping it would allow to slide and inch or so. I tried call Blu Ox, all they said is we don't service those anymore. Maybe I'll try a dealer to see if they can show me what I'm doing wrong.

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Old 07-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like maybe the unit is to low in relation to the pedal? Try sitting it on a couple 2x4’s for testing.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Go to the link to the manual that Gary posted in post #3 and go to page 9 in the manual. At the upper right quarter of the page is a process that gives the procedure for the exact situation you describe.
I have about 25,000 miles of towing a CR-V hehind a 45' Class A using the Patriot system. The only issue I ever had was if the RV brakes were applied for more that a few seconds the toad Patriot would go into “Tmeout” error and had to be powered off in the toad and re-started. I eventually just began setting the Sensitivity to “0” and only used the Patriot for the breakaway function. It never really seemed to make any difference in stopping performance anyway.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've had the same Patriot unit for 8 years, using it with 3 different vehicles, a Fiat 500, a Honda HR-V and now a Ford Escape. I have only had it serviced once about 3 years ago when the initial NiMh battery inside wore out and made the unit flaky.

Once I took the time to get a claw set up that grabbed the brake pedal well, and got the feet adjusted it has always worked well for me. In all my vehicles the claw box worked best with the release button on top.

I have always positioned the patriot on the floor so that the brake is not depressed and then moved the seat forward to barely touch the back. The back section is positioned to make good contact with the seat. In the Escape I have to use a rectangular piece of plywood between the back of the Patriot and the seat. The other 2 vehicles I did not.

Sorry to hear that Blue Ox is not going to support it anymore if I ever have problems with it again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
blue ox, brake