Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Blue ox with a Diesel pusher

I'm setting up my first toad setup. I have a blue ox patriot 2012, tow bar etc and want to use it with my 39' diesel pusher.

I don't think I have to tie into the airbrake system do I? From what I read, the Blue ox seems to sense the motorhome slowing down and applies the brakes in the toad.

Am I correct?

Thanks
tmitch5188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You are correct, it doesn’t tie in to your air brakes. It is activated by change in inertia.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:12 AM   #3

Thanks. That's what I thought but I saw a video on setting up a toad and they connected to the air brakes on the RV. The last thing I want to do is tap into the air brakes
Old 10-31-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There are other brand/model braking systems that do utilize the air brake system.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:11 AM   #5

If you haven't used the tow bar yet, and before you get too invested in the setup, you might want to read the following thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/blu...re-511636.html

Call Blue Ox, and ask them specifically how long they support their tow bars. You stated that yours is a 2012 model . . . Ask BO specifically if they still support that specific tow bar . . . lots of people report that BO won't support their tow bars beyond 5 years of age.

Also suggest you google "tow bar failures" and compare brand failures, and people's experience with which companies stand behind their products, and which don't . . . .

Consider:
Demco: Limited Lifetime warranty, Original owner only. However, Demco stood behind their product, and repaired our 12 year old tow bar even though we were the 2nd owner. No charge.

Blue Ox: Limited Lifetime warranty, but if you read the actual warranty, it really doesn't cover much of anything.
Roadmaster: Made in America, Lots of good reviews, Limited Lifetime. We purchased a Roadmaster this year because we purchased a heavier toad, and the Demco wasn't rated for it.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitch5188 View Post
Thanks. That's what I thought but I saw a video on setting up a toad and they connected to the air brakes on the RV. The last thing I want to do is tap into the air brakes
We started with a Brake Buddy that worked by inertia much like the Patriot. We now have the M&G brake system that does tap into the coach air system. It is by far a better system. It is truly proportional and trouble free. Never had an issue with three different coaches and toads. It's simple to hookup with just a quick coupler air hose and a safety clip. I will never go back to the inertia system. As for your Blue Ox tow bar, ours is close to 10 years old. I have rebuilt it myself to new specs for about $25 two years ago. Have had no need for company service. Parts are available through my Tiffin dealer. It's easy to work on. I have never had a reason for factory service and I'm towing a 6500# toad.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

We use a ready brute system. Very happy with it. No experience with B Ox but quite a few postings about problems. Biggest issue seems to be B Ox denying there was ever a problem. Do your homework.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
We started with a Brake Buddy that worked by inertia much like the Patriot. We now have the M&G brake system that does tap into the coach air system. It is by far a better system. It is truly proportional and trouble free. Never had an issue with three different coaches and toads. It's simple to hookup with just a quick coupler air hose and a safety clip. I will never go back to the inertia system. As for your Blue Ox tow bar, ours is close to 10 years old. I have rebuilt it myself to new specs for about $25 two years ago. Have had no need for company service. Parts are available through my Tiffin dealer. It's easy to work on. I have never had a reason for factory service and I'm towing a 6500# toad.
^^^
M&G is the a good one to go, I’ve had one for 5 yrs, no issues. I’ve also serviced my Blue Ox, good product, and lasts a time with preventative maintenance..
Old 10-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I used to use a Brake Buddy. Several years ago I upgraded to an Air Force One braking system. That does tie into the coaches air system. It is far superior to the old Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #10

I highly reccomend the M&G brakeing system. Have them installed on 2014 Equinox and 2018 Silverado Duramax. Have never had a problem with the system
Old 11-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #11

The brake unit is a 2012. Not sure of the tow bar.

Tags
blue ox, diesel