Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway

We have a 43' DP and want to drive the blue ridge Parkway. Has anyone done this drive and where did you overnight?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

I took my 35' class A on the blue ridge years ago when the gov't furlough closed all nine of the park campgrounds. I had to exit each night to find a commercial CG. No services on the parkway, narrow roadways, no shoulders in spots and very little traffic most of the time. Despite some of the negative things mentioned, it was a great trip; wonderful scenery. I've seen blogs mention parking the RV and using a smaller vehicle to actually drive the parkway. I didn't have one, and I was alone so I made the best of it. Good luck, safe travels!
Schmukles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #3

Lots of folks travel the parkway in motorhomes. I live in Asheville and drive a short commuter section of the BRPW everyday. See the rare motorhome or towable on occasion, and I drove my previous 30 foot MH on it several years ago. I don't think I will travel the NC section in my current 40' DP. The road in NC is narrow, curvy and steep in several locations. There are also several tunnels in NC to be aware of. Some are pretty low near the outside of the lanes. The pavement also can drop 3 to 4 inches to the grass shoulders in a lot of locations. Those are some things to be aware of.

It can be done, but the driver will probably spend more time focused on driving than enjoying the scenery. It is a very beautiful drive, but as others have suggested on different posts here, the parkway is much better enjoyed in an auto, or especially on a motorcycle. Lots of commercial campgrounds border the parkway, but few actually on it in NC.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We've traveled on part of it. The speed limit isn't fast, 45 mph , 35 mph in some places and so the traffic isn't moving that fast.
It's has almost continuous curves. Many places to pull over, though some are on the other side. We stayed in National Park campgrounds then drove the car in both directions to do daily hikes. As mentioned above, the southern end of the Parkway has some tunnels that are too low for larger RV's.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #5

Sounds like a blast, and it may be for your passengers, but as somebody that's been there, I think you'll quickly tire of the plan. The driver is going to be so busy driving/paying attention to the road, you might just as well go through there at night. You aren't going to see a thing...
Old 01-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Can you drive the parkway? Yes Would it be fun? No. The road is narrow, curvy, steep in places, and pull off do not favor 43' MH. If you have a toad it will be even worse. If you truly want to enjoy the parkway do it in a car. I drove the road several years ago in my manual tranny Corvette and it was a blast. We got to see so much more.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen tour buses and large 5th wheels on the parkway. I also agree it would be busy for you as the driver. A bigger concern would be the roads connecting to the parkway, they can be really steep, narrow and with curves sharp enough you would have a problem staying in your lane.
The tunnels:
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway-places/tunnels/
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I have seen tour buses and large 5th wheels on the parkway. I also agree it would be busy for you as the driver. A bigger concern would be the roads connecting to the parkway, they can be really steep, narrow and with curves sharp enough you would have a problem staying in your lane.
The tunnels:
List of Tunnels Along the Blue Ridge Parkway
I hope I never see a tour bus. The BRP is off limits to any commercial traffic. As others have said, its not a good road for a large motorhome. I've ridden it many times on the Harley. Great for a motorcycle or a car, but not for any large vehicle.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As someone not overly familiar with the region, is the Blue Ridge Parkway the same or part of Skyline Drive.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I ride the Blue RIdge end to end every summer. Great ride. That said, I would not take MH directly on the Parkway... tight turns and height restricted tunnels. If you decide to go, see the attached-might help in your planning:
Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnel Heights - Will My RV Fit
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelman View Post
We have a 43' DP and want to drive the blue ridge Parkway. Has anyone done this drive and where did you overnight?

it's certainly doable, and we've done it before in our 35' DP with 4 bikes and Fiesta toad... about 50' overall length...

we got on at the start in Afton, VA(right across the highway from the end of Skyline Drive), and retreated at BuenaVista, VA.... about a 50mile fun ride

Glen Maury park has RV sites right near downtown BuenaVista : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Afton to BuenaVista BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	150422   Click image for larger version

Name:	glen maury buena vista va.png
Views:	129
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	150423  

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
As someone not overly familiar with the region, is the Blue Ridge Parkway the same or part of Skyline Drive.
The Blue Ridge Parkway starts at Waynesboro Va and goes south, the Skyline Drive heads north to Front Royal Va from Waynesboro. The Skyline Drive is in the Shenandoah National Park. BRP is a free drive while the Skyline charges you. Speed limit 35 on the Skyline. There are two lodges several restaurants and 4 CG on the Skyline. I don't think they have full hookups though.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #13

Skyline Drive is free with the National Park Pass.

We stayed at a "no hookup " Fed. CG. No discount with pass ???

We did a lot of the Blue Ridge in 2 seperate overnight trips. Our 30ft with toad did fine. First time, we left the PKY for a Wal-Mart.

Second time, CGs were open so we stayed in one. Just power, and water.

A couple hours, driving in the MH is enough. We used the toad the next day for more exploring.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I drove the complete BRP in my 39" motorhome. Great scenic drive. One of the great drives in the USA. We stayed overnight at the Doughton Campground. Trip was in October 2007. Pull offs/overlooks were VERY spacious with plenty of room. It's a very easy leisurely drive at 35 mph. Do it!

Doughton Campground

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote