Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 03:20 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeau54 View Post
brunette will be a blonde after that shower
You ain’t kidding.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 04:18 AM   #30

Apple cider vinegar will get rid of the chlorine taste.
I flush my tank annually first joy liquid second bleach then apple cyber vinegar. I have read that some people add apple cider vinegar to their fresh water tank routinely to improve taste.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bone head move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I flush my tank annually first joy liquid second bleach then apple cyber vinegar. I have read that some people add apple cider vinegar to their fresh water tank routinely to improve taste.
Thank you Darwin. I may try a cup or the amount in vinegar that I should have used for chlorine originally.

A cup and 3/4 for my 100 gallon tank. I also have s gallon of something you use in the spring after you open the coach up. 1 gallon for 100 gallon tank. Said to improve taste and deodorize the tank and lines. Right now a little nervous of adding something additional to the situation.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Apple cider vinegar is also healthy for you (1tsp per glass of water) on a regular basis.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
to sanitize the system with a 100 gallon tank, drain all the tankage and use one gallon of bleach and fill the tank with water. then run the fixtures to help clean the line too. Let stand for up to 24 hours then drain completely including hot water heater. and refill with fresh water. let stand for 24 hours flush all the lines and water-heater too. The fill with fresh water again and flush the fixtures.. If any trace of bleach is left it should be minimal.

This is the method I have used for over 25 years for both my yacht and motorhome. To disinfect your "water" , (not sanitize the system) 1.5 cups of bleach could be used. this is not for sanitizing the System but rather to clean the questionable water quality.. there is a difference.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Do you know where I could download some of that from?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I have read that 2 cups of white vinegar per 100 gallons added to fresh water tank will help get rid of chlorine smell.
More importantly, the vinegar will neutralize the lye that is a byproduct of the bleach production. And the stuff that rots your blue jeans.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #36

I have an 88 gallon tank, and after doing the math, I add 18 ml of 5% bleach when I fill the tank. FWIW I did the math for 100 gallons but close enough.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. I have read about the Lemon juice as well as Apple Cider Vinegar trick.

At this point, I am going the safe route and will continue to fill and dump the tank till smell is gone. I live in the country so no big deal to do so. I had to remember to check the gray water tank as well when doing a flush. I was running the taps as well to run water through all the lines and fixtures and found the gray water tank filling up pretty quick. Would have been just my luck to overflow that and have it push up into the coach through shower drain or something. I installed a dump station for gray water in my septic tank so I am able to do some dumping. I don't overdo it however.

Thank you again everyone.
Mix a box of backing soda in a bucket of water and pour or pump into your tank. Run through your lines and into your hot water tank. Allow it to set a day or two and Continue running it through your lines for a while then drain flush and refill. This should take care of it. You could add more to your tank a second time if needed and just leave it in the tank. It won’t hurt you to drink the water with the baking soda in it. This should neutralize the taste and smell. As many times as you have flushed it there shouldn’t be enough bleach in your system to hurt you. Probably less than what is in city water. I hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrim View Post
Take care, vinegar and bleach will cause chlorine gas. Toxic, very irritating and not nice.
You may be thinking of ammonia & bleach rather than vinegar. That's a bad combination! My wife once tried using both to clean the shower at home and started having trouble breathing.
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. I have read about the Lemon juice as well as Apple Cider Vinegar trick.

At this point, I am going the safe route and will continue to fill and dump the tank till smell is gone. I live in the country so no big deal to do so. I had to remember to check the gray water tank as well when doing a flush. I was running the taps as well to run water through all the lines and fixtures and found the gray water tank filling up pretty quick. Would have been just my luck to overflow that and have it push up into the coach through shower drain or something. I installed a dump station for gray water in my septic tank so I am able to do some dumping. I don't overdo it however.

Thank you again everyone.

Question about your septic, do you not also dump your black there? Or do you have a special process for grey?
Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #40

Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide Instantly neutralizes bleach. I don't know how much in this application but a google search might help. I spilled bleach INSIDE my coach once. It was toxic! Hydrogen peroxide did the trick but I just poured it on the floor to chase the spill.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #41

I don't think you did wrong at all. The recommendation from Fleetwood or any other manu is for a maintained system. I have a 2004 Beaver with no idea if the system had ever been sanitized before for all I know it could have mold growing like weeds in the tank. So I errored on the side of caution and put in at least as much as you did if not more. Whatever might have been in there isn't happy...….Better safe than sorry.

I just rinsed the tank 3 or 4 times and the lines 3 times the odor didn't last long at all. I have a tank dump that made it pretty easy. I had a 1999 and a 2000 Bounder I don't recall if either had a tank dump or not. It could be a real pita if not.

And to be honest I will never ever drink the water or use it for coffee or cooking unless I am boiling it anyway. I don't do the unknown to well......lol. I much prefer to carry any water that has any chance of being ingested.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #42

Newmar owners manual says use vinegar after flushing if there is any lingering Oder.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote