Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
On the small genset and larger RV I am currently working on a setup to use the small genset to power ac units. Most have a floating neutral so you may need a ground bonding plug.

The guys at micro air make one or google floating neutral and rv. There are some good articles about it.

We will hopefully have our testing done today on this setup.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 AM   #72

Saw a video by an electrical engineer that went to battleborn and they paid for the tests he chose the tests he matched up the battle born against six la batteries one as two bats one as four the four arm an low cost pair and the next of the Ahmed batteries and each set was as 12 volt setups the battleborn basically out preforms the other batteries and in the life of the batteries turned out to be the cheapest. Also the. Battle born batteries was then lonely ones to make the advertised dog ratings the best the rest did was a round 75-% of its rating whereas. The bb exceeded theirs. I’m not affiliated with battle born. Oh I almost forgot I’m thinking of going with battle born solar panels since they are lighter than most panels and have the latest tech

I’ve think I’m either gonna do my upgrade in one two methods. Meathod one all once and pay off over time. Method two do it in three phases the first replease the lA batteries with economical batteries and upgrade the inverter and have it installed the inverter will be able to power everything but the acs and be able to link to a computer and cell phone. Plus be a charge that’s configurable for most battery settings and I’m gonna add a intelligent battery monitor. Phase two will be install the battery bank with battle born batteries. Phase three will be adding the solar system panels and electronics. Ideal the first method would be the best. But it might be dreaming.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:46 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackey Cole View Post
Saw a video by an electrical engineer that went to battleborn and they paid for the tests he chose the tests
I think this is the video you're referring to. Very informative.
bwanshoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #74

To find a good design for Solar (home or RV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
Regardless, solar panels would be a good backup plan...Larry 2014 Reyo P
I'm going to suggest two YouTube channels, one for 'everything solar' and one that is specific to RVs (including how to include your generator in the mix.)

Will Prowse has a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/playlists

Will has a website too, where he has detailed wiring diagrams, devices names and the cheapest place to buy. Will is the smartest guy on solar in all of YouTube.

Will talks about everything solar, including panels, inverters, chargers, power monitors. Will will show you a cheap and reliable way to generate as much power as you want from the sun.
========
"All About RVs" is a YouTube channel by a guy named Jared that is specific to RVs. The guy has done several RV Solar and Solar/Generator/Lithium Battery mixes and he has all the devices, batteries and panels listed. Look through all his old stuff, he's done several different combinations of electronics, panels, generator/solar switching, etc. He has a website also.

All About RVs YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/AllAboutRVs/playlists
Jstdadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #75

The YouTube Prepper Guy who uses a Titan Solar Generator

This guy on YouTube has used just two devices and some wire to give him a ton of power in his RV:

Minute Man Prep on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWm...PS_Q/playlists

Here's his RV system, consisting only of the Titan Solar Generator, Solar Panels and wiring; The solar panels connect directly to the Titan Solar Generator and he plugs the RV 30-amp cord directly into the Titan Solar Generator. https://youtu.be/taCIVsfBans
Jstdadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanshoom View Post
I think this is the video you're referring to. Very informative.
I watched that video last night. I have great respect for Battleborn but this video almost turned into a Battleborn commercial. Much of the data was extrapolated and I'm not sure entirely accurate.

Another issue is most of these testers run tests at cold temperatures but ignore hot temperatures. Is it because they now have heating pads available for their lithium batteries?
Our battery bay is next to the engine and it would not be unusual to see 150 degrees F, especially in the desert southwest. I'd also like to see testing conducted at temperatures above 100 degrees F.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #77

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've considered making the switch to lithium batteries to replace our four 6 volt CG batteries. But can't come up with a good justification. I well understand the drawdown, recharge times, weight, longevity, etc. Our present battery bank is now about four years old and continues to test out very strong. They are well maintained. The lowest SoC I've ever seen on them is about 84%, and that only once. Typically in the morning they somewhere around 93-94% SoC. So added capacity is not significant. Bother the 5th wheeler and truck have no problems with the weight. It is always nice to trim some weight, but not really needed. Recharge times at the present SoC numbers is a non-issue. The existing solar system peaks them back to 100% by about 10 am every day.

The ability to mount them elsewhere is nice, but there is no better place than where the existing batteries are now. Would have to make major changes in the electrical system to move them.

Then there is the cost issue, at about 10 times the price I gain very little or nothing to solve any non-existent problem. Since we frequently camp in colder areas, below 32F, the lithiums present yet another problem I don't really have now.

Point. Whereas lithium batteries are an ideal solution for some people I do not think they make sense in some cases. I do not knock lithium batteries at all, just not always the right solution.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Please stop saying lithium is 10times as expensive at LA.

Please price 400ah of LA to what I paid 1200.00. Thats not 10 times.

Yes battle born is expensive put there are other options.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #79

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My point is that in my case the four 6 volt GC batteries 460AHrs 230AHrs usable is still overkill. I never use more than 16% of the 230 AHrs capacity.

I understand that there are several competitors to BB. I'd love to see a realistic comparison chart of performance properties including costs, cold temp recharge and high temp operation, warranties, warranty return issues, etc.

If I can not recharge down to 0F the battery is not really useful to me. Show me any lithium battery that can do that. Yes we do camp in that kind of weather.

Not clear what brand you bought to get 400 AHrs for $1,200. I can replace all of my LA for about $440 and get 6+ years out them. Looks like BB batteries can be bought for perhaps $800-900 now days, and not $1,000 like in the past.

Be happy with your solution, because I'm happy with mine for now.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #80

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
My point is that in my case the four 6 volt GC batteries 460AHrs 230AHrs usable is still overkill. I never use more than 16% of the 230 AHrs capacity.

I understand that there are several competitors to BB. I'd love to see a realistic comparison chart of performance properties including costs, cold temp recharge and high temp operation, warranties, warranty return issues, etc.

If I can not recharge down to 0F the battery is not really useful to me. Show me any lithium battery that can do that. Yes we do camp in that kind of weather.

Not clear what brand you bought to get 400 AHrs for $1,200. I can replace all of my LA for about $440 and get 6+ years out of them. Looks like BB batteries can be bought for perhaps $800-900 now days, and not $1,000 like in the past.

Be happy with your solution, because I'm happy with mine for now.
So I've heard this argument about charging LiFePO4 at zero degrees made and used as a rationalization to not upgrade......I will NEVER have that issue because my batteries are under the bed and it will NEVER be zero in MY bedroom. I keep my lithium batteries in the same climate I want to be in and it's really never gonna be an issue.

When I'm not there I run either the heater or AC via the WiFi managed thermostat.

I will never go back to any form of LA batteries and with the costs where they are today, it is very hard for me to make any kind of reasonable case for replacing any batteries today with lead-acid.

My .02
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:26 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
CHARGING TEMPERATURE
LiFePO4 batteries can safely charge between -20C to 55C (-4F to 131F). However, at temperatures below 0C (32F) the charge current must be reduced, until the temperature is >0C (32F), as follows:
1. 0C to -10C (32F to 14F) charge at 0.1C (10% of the battery capacity) 2. -10C to -20C (14F to -4F) charge at 0.05C (5% of the battery capacity)
LiFePO4 batteries do not require temperature compensation for voltage when charging at hot or cold temperatures.
All Nexgen LiFePo4 come with a BMS that protects the battery from over-temperature. If the BMS disconnects due to high temperature, wait until the temperature reduces and the BMS reconnects the battery circuit before using or charging the battery.
Please refer to your battery data sheet for the BMS high temperature cut-off value.

Also https://eepower.com/new-industry-pro...ture-charging/

Charges down to -4f

The truth is most people dont charge at night when its the coldest and the temps are for the batterys temperature not air. As batteries give up power and charge they produce heat that can keep the batteries warm enough for charging.

There is a lot of false information about lithium/lifepo4 out there because of when then battery technology was just starting. Almost every cell phone today is using lithium batteries and can be charged at very low temperature.

The chemistry for lithium batteries has changed with the times. The fire issues have almost been eliminated with proper software and the chemistry of the newer units.

And for me if its getting into the 30s I will use the big round things on the bottom of the coach.

I know some people like LA and it works for them and thats fine just do your research and know what the truth is about the current lithium/lifepo4 product before you make a statement that does not hold water today.

Its kind of like the dont discharge your LA batteries below 50% a lot of people do and never have a problem....why because the chemistry and engineering design has changed over time.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:42 PM   #82

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I was getting a new RV or was having a significant 12 volt power issue I would install lithium batteries. However, I presently have a perfectly working battery/charging environment with out any problems that need to be solved. That is still my key point. Why fix something that is not broken?

I've run many numbers and options and can not come up any justifications to switch to lithium opposed to LA. I'd prefer using the same money and time to make those changes to hit the road.

Other people may have very different needs and a lithium battery upgrade might make great sense for them.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #83

Another consideration is in the number of LiFePO4 batteries that can be used vs. LA. As an example, 4 GC2 225 AH golf cart 6 volt batteries take the same amount of space as do 12 100 AH LiFePO4 batteries will, resulting in 1200 AH vs. 450 AH. Just another thing to consider (energy density) in the plan for power independence while boondocking. Safe, and Hoppy Travels from The Boondocking Brewer™!
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgest View Post
Another consideration is in the number of LiFePO4 batteries that can be used vs. LA. As an example, 4 GC2 225 AH golf cart 6 volt batteries take the same amount of space as do 12 100 AH LiFePO4 batteries will, resulting in 1200 AH vs. 450 AH. Just another thing to consider (energy density) in the plan for power independence while boondocking. Safe, and Hoppy Travels from The Boondocking Brewer!
Not sure I read this correctly?
I'm struggling trying to fit three 100ah lithium batteries in the same tray I currently have four GC2 6v batteries.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, boondock, boondocking, generator