Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Boroscope / Endoscope - Needed, Useful or waste of $ ???

Picked up my new Class A and got it home last week. Outfitting it with necessary tools & consumables.
Would like to get some opinions on the utility / need for a endoscope in my kit (~35 - 50$). Interested in all feedback - If you have one would you buy it again? Never had one - never needed it? Or wouldn't travel without it?

Thanks in advance
Ed
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

There have been times in my 60 years plus of living that having one would of been helpful. However, I can't think of a single time that I ever needed it with an RV we owned.

I can certainly see there could be a time when it would be handy though. I'd get one if I had the extra cash laying around and a place to store it for that "just in case".
Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

I've got a cheap one from Harbor Freight. I've used it several times in the RV, unfortunately the cheap one like I have isn't as useful as a good one would be. I wish I had a better one because they are sure handy if you do much of your own work.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #4

As tighly as thing are packed in the Engine compartment, i had occasions for one trying to find a Sensor, leak, etc. ,
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I bought one and do use it on occasion. It is handy at times. Do not expect all images to be as good as depicted in the ads.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

I have two of them. One, is my original from Costco. I have used it several times in/on/around/under the RV. It came in specially handy when researching a leaking ram that powers the HWH bedroom slide. I can snake that lens way down in the support tube and actually see where the leak was coming from. I've used it for analyzing how bad my radiator fins were clogged up from oil/debris/hay/trash/grass etc. when there was absolutely no way to look at them in any other fashion.
Yes, they are darned helpful in various situations. Do you use them every day, nope, not at all. But, when you need it, it's invaluable. My second one is one that I got for my phone. It's not as nice as the Costco one but, it is usable with my phone which, has its benefits. The cost of these is negligible in terms of just how valuable they can be at given times.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #7

I bought a camera on a flexible cable from Deal Extreme that i connect to my laptop computer with a USB connection.

It works Great !!

I have a larger screen than on integrated endoscopes and it was at a low price.

Down side was surface shopping from China took three weeks.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

I bought a borescope to look for openings in the motorhome that mice can use to get in. It has worked well for that purpose.

I borrowed a borescope a mechanic when I was running brake-and-light wires in the toad. I could not have done as neat an installation without it.

I definitely would put a borescope in the "nice-to-have" tool category. It's only since the prices have dropped that I got one, though.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Mine works as a plug-in to my iPhone. Inexpensive and very handy when you need to peer in inaccessible places. Excellent resolution
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

Mine travels in my RV....works with either phone or laptop......have used it a bunch....works good for checking ducted A/C runs, and heater ducts, inside water heater and so forth...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Similar to KiteSquid, I've used an inexpensive web cam and a long USB cable with a laptop. I've dropped it into wall cavities, peered up under dashboards and read part numbers and labels from otherwise inaccessible places. Not something you'll fish through plumbing but pretty much usable for everything else.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #12

I bought this $22 USB endoscope kit (https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Semi...ustrial&sr=1-4) last year, to attach to my smart phone, and have used it a number of times in my RV and at home. It is excellent and let's me see and record things in tight places. I originally bought it to inspect my Schwintek/Lippert wall slide internals and see how to lubricate it properly. I keep it in my RV because that is where I anticipate using it the most.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #13

Thanks for the info. Just ordered the WiFi version of the above item.

Been a few times I could have used and $34 is not bad for a once in a while item.

Now to find the fill plugs for my hydraulic levelers [emoji3]
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

I bought one on Amazon that attaches to a phone/tablet/pc with a USB cable. I have used it for numerous projects. My current project is snaking coax, network, HDMI, and RCA video/power cables from the front upper entertainment cabinets, through the AC ducts to the back bedroom closet and to the rear TV and back to the rear of the coach through the engine compartment for a new rear view camera. For work like that, the bore scope is huge help to see what you are doing above the ceiling. When not in use, it fits into a case the size of a small paperback book.