Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Borrowing Class A RV from parents

my state of west virginia does not require a cdl for rv over 26k. i wanted to know
if i can borrow my parents rv. my parents live in and the rv is registerd in maryland where they do require a non commercial class b. does it go by where rv is registered or where the driver holds a licensce
kpoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I suspect you will be OK since your drivers license is issued where you live and you are borrowing the MH. This is only an opinion and should be checked with an authority.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Double check on liability insurance . . . make sure THEIR MH policy covers you as your auto policy almost certainly won't. For a fact, Allstate, Farmer's and Geico auto policies will not cover you driving a dual rear wheel over 10000 pound motorhome. DAMHIK :(
Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Drivers license is no problem, insurance might be.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shouldn't be a problem. Just think of it as renting a U-Haul truck.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

Drivers license and insurance will be the least of your concerns. Our son borrowed our then brand new motorhome in 2003. The seed was planted and he got the RV bug. He just came home with his 4th new coach a couple weeks ago. I think he still blames me for what that first trip has cost him over the years.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

The U-haul analogy is not appropriate in this case . . . when you rent from U-haul you are being insured by U-haul as part of the price of the rental and you are not being covered by your auto insurance. Large (company not MH ) rental agencies typically add you to a binder with someone line MBA RV insurance.

Given any class A, even the smallest, is pretty large and can do significant damage and possible injuries in relatively "low energy" accidents I would urge the OP to disregard any advice from here, even mine, but spend a dime and call their insurance company to get the straight skinny. Vehicle liability lawsuits can eat up big $$$ in a BIG hurry, even with insurance, I shudder to think about what if I didn't have insurance!

Opps, forgot to add, your insurance may cover your Uhaul rental if the vehicle is NOT over 10K GVWR . . . mine will but it is VERY specific that it does NOT cover anything over that. I'm with Allstate. I also called 3 other major insurance brands with a thought to maybe looking at changing over to them and asked each one if they would cover me for a 25K GVWR motor home and each time the answer was no. As always YMMV and I'm only recounting my personal experience. Best advice is still, call and make sure.

I hope the OP is able to work out a way to borrow the RV and have a great, WORRY FREE, time!!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #8

If I were your parents I would say no way.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
The U-haul analogy is not appropriate in this case . . . ,,,
Sure it is, where in the OP's original posting is there anything regarding insurance? The question was regarding licensing. I'll even quote it for you -

"my state of west virginia does not require a cdl for rv over 26k. i wanted to know if i can borrow my parents rv. my parents live in and the rv is registerd in maryland where they do require a non commercial class b. does it go by where rv is registered or where the driver holds a licensce".

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
While the discussion has veered away from his original question, it was thoughtful of others to mention a possible problem he might not have considered. Better to get the question answered early so it doesn't bite you in the a** later.

Other questions to consider might has he ever driven something this big or is he familiar with all the operating systems?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have your parents already agreed to let you borrow the coach? Or are you hoping to convince them through positive feedback from the forum? Where will they stay while you borrow their home for a while?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Have your parents already agreed to let you borrow the coach? Or are you hoping to convince them through positive feedback from the forum? Where will they stay while you borrow their home for a while?
My guess is they are going to trade "homes" for a while.

Charles
Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #13

Personally speaking.....unless they have driven one on a trip before and are familiar with the systems on-board I'd say absolutely not. Family member or not (aside from insurance confirmation).

Very rarely do others (incl family) care and/or look out for things that you yourself do while driving and dealing with issue/s that arise....and arise they will.

If you do....Do a complete walk around explaining how everything works and what to be on the look out for. But more importantly be prepared to deal with something when returned.

At min my rule would be the RV is returned in the except shape (inside & out no exceptions) when borrowed with full tank of fuel incl fuel stabilizer. Video your entire walk around (evidence). Family member means nothing they'll will almost always be the first try and weasel one over on you.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. Just think of it as renting a U-Haul truck.
Except insurance probably a problem. Few auto policies cover things like RVs and moving trucks.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a