Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wmiii"......Fleetwood was a big user of the black vinyl bras and I thought they looked nice, actually pretty cool, but I would never own one again. We bought a used 2004 Fleetwood Terra that we kept for a year, but sold because of brake and black tank issues. It came with a bra that really made it look stylish. The problem.....it needed to come off when raining, needed to come off in dusty conditions and no matter what, it caused rashes on the front of the coach. I was very careful with it, waxed the front end frequently and used a protectant on the vinyl every trip. After the we sold the coach, I decided I would never own another coach with a bra.....just too much work and no matter what, they do damage.

I find that those that use them, are typically covering up other damage that they don't want to repair. Our friends specifically did that on their Monaco Camelot. Once the clear 3M bra went bad, they put on the black vinyl bra. It REALLY looks nasty under the bra now.

I think you have two choices, take it back to the paint shop, describe the issue and see if they'll repair the bra mounting holes and repaint the front end again at a discounted price....or continue to use the bra forever. If you have it repainted, you don't necessarily need to protect it with anything other than routine waxing. I have the clear bra and it gets a coating of Pledge, 303 or wax before EVERY trip. It only takes a few minutes.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #30

I would say the paint was pierced with a hole from a stone or other object. If the paint then can’t remove the moisture, because of the bra, the fiberglass under the paint festers and starts to come out. It’s more than just a paint problem. To fix it right, the fiberglass must be ground out and then let dry, or force dried. Filled, then painted. On a boat, gel coat is very porous. So if it’s left in the water any amount of time, an epoxy barrier must be present or blisters will occur. Paint on your coach is no different, unless somehow it’s on the inside of the hood.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If I had a newly painted front end I would not put anything except a good coat of wax.
Bingo. Mine came with the clear covering with a lifetime warrantee. Yeah right. I've read people spending days getting it off with a heat gun, very carefully one inch at a time.

And, there are rocks that hit me and went right through it.

But hey, if you have the scars to prove it you were making miles and using the darn thing. Maybe in the future I'll paint it. Leave the brand name off while I'm at it.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #32

An update,
The paint shop repainted my front at a discount and I am using the Bra for travel then removing if we'll be sitting for more than a couple of days.
I have applied a good coat of wax on the front to help protect it as well.
We'll try to take care of it and just see how it goes.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas

Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #33
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wmiii".....If you start to see some rubbing in some spots, caused by the bra, carry a roll of blue painters tape. Put tape on those rub spots, under the bra, and take it off when you arrive.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #34

For the love of god did you not learn you lesson?? Throw the bra in a dumpster
Old 02-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
For the love of god did you not learn you lesson?? Throw the bra in a dumpster
DUH! yea......
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote