Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #15

same trouble continues !

front right caliper on my 2005 dynaquest (2004 m2 chassis with mb900 motor ) seized on Atlanta beltway, 1100$ tow charge ! that's three times same problem in two years. they say the caliper sliders are sticky if rv sits for awhile.

life threatening situation as peddle goes to floor and zero brakes...i used the parking brake, which is air assisted that stopped rv, luckily I had space in front of me. I hate this rv, only warning i get is overheating radiator at 220 degrees and clutch fan goes on, followed by smell of burnt brake pads and then sudden loss of brakes. dash and light, ck trans lights, pops out of gear engine overheat warning lights, engine power drops quickly, then try to stop the freaking rv.

however calipers are fluid operated by abs module (hidden behind dash) and power assisted brake booster, I'm tempted to have then replace whole brake system. I'm scared to drive this rv truck, it's unsafe.

patrick
Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #16

June 2019 got both front m2 dynaquest seized calipers again !

while stuck in traffic on Atlanta beltway both fronts seized again, lost brakes, had to use parking brake for emergency stop. towed to norcross freightliner and they claim my unit is not coveted under recall.

they said they have no idea why calipers both fronts seized.

I'm scared to drive the rv.

Patrick
2005 dynaquest
Old 12-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham View Post
while stuck in traffic on Atlanta beltway both fronts seized again, lost brakes, had to use parking brake for emergency stop. towed to norcross freightliner and they claim my unit is not coveted under recall.

they said they have no idea why calipers both fronts seized.

I'm scared to drive the rv.

Patrick
2005 dynaquest

i have a 2006 Dynaquest and the Bosch brake calipers have been an issue. I've had lock ups as well. I currently have a pull or drift when hard braking.

The locking is caused by the plastic pistons. I ended up going the 73mm METAL piston route. FOUND HERE:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SEBS...dInput=caliper

however, the drift to the LEFT still remains. I've had 4 sets of calipers on this chassis to include new king pins, tie rod ends, and master cylinder, new rubber lines...

There clearly is design flaw with the bosch calipers
GS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS340 View Post
i have a 2006 Dynaquest and the Bosch brake calipers have been an issue. I've had lock ups as well. I currently have a pull or drift when hard braking.

The locking is caused by the plastic pistons. I ended up going the 73mm METAL piston route. FOUND HERE:

however, the drift to the LEFT still remains. I've had 4 sets of calipers on this chassis to include new king pins, tie rod ends, and master cylinder, new rubber lines...

Many thanks GS240 ! Yesterday I drove 20miles to get LP tank filled and on the way this happened: At traffic light RV auto-trans was in 6th gear and had to use brake peddle to keep RV from creeping forward. After light changed I went maybe 40 yards and steering does a "death wobble" as front driver side caliper didn't release brake fluid. Carefully I drove a mile to pull over and driver caliper stinks and very hot ! Took brake master caps off and brake fluid was very hot. After 1/2 hours I carefully nursed RV home and felt no front brake action; just had rears working. Found front driver speed sensor melted off caliper. Over past three years I've had dozens of these sensors replaced, numerous rotors and pads, nearly always fronts; rarely the rears.

The above symptoms have frequently occurred over past 3 years !

This AM I was thinking of larger piston fronts (over stock 66mm) and when I saw your post I've decided to go the 73mm route although a quick web search found the 73mm version calipers have the same symptoms as the pistons are still BOSCE.

I give up on FLT shops, I have appt for next Thursday at new to me Patricks Truck Service in Ocala. I'll post what they find out.

Patrick
2005 Dynaquest 26footer 264SL 76,000 RV on Freightliner M2 106 chassis with MB900 diesel.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #19

Quote:

Several years ago there was a Freightliner recall on the front suspension; did you get this done ? My 2005 Dynaquest drives straight; only when front calipers are NOT binding !

Patrick
Old 08-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #20

Update

Had brake shop ditch front rotors and calipers for new metal piston calipers and new rotors and frozen caliper problem gone

Patrick

The metal type pistons ate larger dia than cheaper plastic pistons that heat expand and lock calipers.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have the part numbers for the new calipers?
I have a 2006 Dynaquest 😢
Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
I have a 2006 Dynaquest 😢
I emailed you the numerous Napa part numbers,
Patrick
Old 11-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads View Post

I have a 2006 Dynaquest [emoji22]

If you have not already done so, may I suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread and read the info provided by several of us back in 2011 & 2012. Regardless of whether you have the 66mm or the 73mm version, the problem with sticking pistons was addressed by FCCC and yours simply may have missed their recall.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
If you have not already done so, may I suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread and read the info provided by several of us back in 2011 & 2012. Regardless of whether you have the 66mm or the 73mm version, the problem with sticking pistons was addressed by FCCC and yours simply may have missed their recall.
I had the update calipers with plastic pistons, Phenolic Piston, installed and they lock up. The only way, I've found, to stop the locking up is by going with the Ford spec caliper which has the metal piston. the caliper housing is the same other than they used a metal piston. The plastic swells over time and apparently from lack of use. Honestly the brake system is pure trash.

all 4 pistons are the same. The 73mm uses a thicker pad but the overall pad shape is the same. you can use the 66mm pads in the 73mm caliper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	napa1.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	309021  
Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #25

Rockauto.com also sells them.

CARDONE 188058S {#4C4Z2B120MB, 4C4Z2B121MB, 8U9Z2B120AB} Remanufactured; Includes Installation Hardware Info
FitsFront Left; with 73 mm Piston; with Bosch Original Caliper; with Metal Piston
orFront Right; with 73 mm Piston; with Bosch Original Caliper; with Metal Piston
orRear Left; with 73 mm Piston; with Bosch Original Caliper; with Metal Piston
orRear Right; with 73 mm Piston; with Bosch Original Caliper; with Metal Piston
Old 11-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #26

Quote:
I had the update calipers with plastic pistons, Phenolic Piston, installed and they lock up. The only way, I've found, to stop the locking up is by going with the Ford spec caliper which has the metal piston. the caliper housing is the same other than they used a metal piston. The plastic swells over time and apparently from lack of use. Honestly the brake system is pure trash.

all 4 pistons are the same. The 73mm uses a thicker pad but the overall pad shape is the same. you can use the 66mm pads in the 73mm caliper.
That may be true, IRDK, but I do know that the Bosch 66mm calipers that were used by WCC (and recalled by Bosch and WCC in September 2010) are only 2 piston calipers. The "improved" calipers that Bosch supplied and WCC paid to have installed on ALL of the W-22 series chassis ever made) are still Phenolic (plastic) pistons. The "improvements" included increasing the bore, using a more powerful piston seal (said to aid in retracting the piston into its bore), and a different formulation of Phenolic material (said to better resist absorbing the moisture entrained in the brake fluid).

At the time, they stated the reason they didn't want to switch to metal pistons was because of the increased heat transfer that metal pistons would cause, as compared to the plastic pistons.

FWIW, we hear of very few cases of these 66mm (phenolic piston equipped) "improved" calipers failing - however, WCC also change the service interval for replacing all the DOT3 brake fluid to every 2 years, regardless of mileage.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #27

Exclamation FWIW, we hear of very few cases of these 66mm (phenolic piston equipped) "improved" c

"FWIW, we hear of very few cases of these 66mm (phenolic piston equipped) "improved" calipers failing"

That may be fine and dandy for some people but after almost getting killed a few times with loss of 66mm plastic piston factory fronts brakes (front single or both fronts froze after normal brake actions) loss of brake actions (fronts) soon after seized rotors/calipers. Calipers heated up and burnt ABS sensors as well. Loss of ABS and front brakes is life threatening to say the least in such a heavy RV. Plus, brake fluid boiled over as well.

After going with metal piston/larger caliper piston bores as well, after 4500 miles not a single episode of seizure or loss of brakes. (2005 Dynaquest 264SL (small bed in back) on 2004 FLT MB900 M2 106.

Patrick

PS: I spend thousands at Ocala FLT to no avail, ending up using local independent auto brake shop to do the conversion.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham View Post
"FWIW, we hear of very few cases of these 66mm (phenolic piston equipped) "improved" calipers failing"

That may be fine and dandy for some people but after almost getting killed a few times with loss of 66mm plastic piston factory fronts brakes (front single or both fronts froze after normal brake actions) loss of brake actions (fronts) soon after seized rotors/calipers. Calipers heated up and burnt ABS sensors as well. Loss of ABS and front brakes is life threatening to say the least in such a heavy RV. Plus, brake fluid boiled over as well.

After going with metal piston/larger caliper piston bores as well, after 4500 miles not a single episode of seizure or loss of brakes. (2005 Dynaquest 264SL (small bed in back) on 2004 FLT MB900 M2 106.

Patrick

PS: I spend thousands at Ocala FLT to no avail, ending up using local independent auto brake shop to do the conversion.
Chatham: Perhaps I should have included "on the Workhorse chassis that were recalled" to my comment you quoted above. I don't "know" if FCCC ever did anything about their chassis with the similar issue. Do you know if your failures happened with the "improved" calipers Bosch supplied to WCC for their recall? I'm wondering what, if any, differences there may be.

ALSO, IF the calipers you have are like the ones GS430 is talking about (above), and they ARE the 4 piston (non-slide pin) calipers, then we are discussing to entirely different Bosch calipers because the ones used by WCC were 2 piston slide pin calipers, NOT 4 piston with 2 pistons on each side of the rotor.

Tags
freightliner, brake