Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Brake lights on RV

I posted this in the Monaco forum but thought that I might get an answer here.

I hope someone knows the answer for this. When I apply the brake on my MH the brake lights don't come on until I press hard. I think they should come on earlier. Is this adjustable? Or do I need to repalce a sensor? On the outside of the firewall I have 3 sensors (airline going in and wires on the other end). I am guessing that 2 of them are for the air pressure gauges and the other for the brake lights. We have only had the RV for a month and have our first trip in a few days. This is a safety issue and I want to get it fixed. The RV is a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Commercial Member

I believe this is a air pressure switch having an issue that turns your brake lights on. It should be located under or in front of the brake pedal ( either under the floor or under the hood ) It is attached to the treadle valve under normal circumstances. The treadle valve is the valve you are moving when you are pressing the brake pedal. This switch should have two terminals on it one having 12 volts at all times and the other having power when the brake pedal is depressed. Well depressed hard in your case.
Alan Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Listen to Alan, by all means! Brazel's does good work, has great folks working there, and are experts with Class A RVs.

Just wanted to say that in the meantime, if your rig acts as ours does, if turn your exhaust brake switch on, your brake lights will activate as soon as your foot comes off the accelerator (except at very low speeds). It's annoying to us to have the brake lights come on everytime we let off the accelerator but we will usually keep the exhaust brake off until we need it so the brake lights are usually not an issue for us.

But temporarily for you, at least it might be a little safer and prevent you from possibly getting rear ended until you get your treadle adjusted.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #4

My 96 takes pretty good pedal pressure too. I can't tap the brake pedal to turn off the cruise without actually making the brakes apply briefly. Normal? I do not know. I do know the brakes are just applying as the brake lights activate
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
My 96 takes pretty good pedal pressure too. I can't tap the brake pedal to turn off the cruise without actually making the brakes apply briefly. Normal? I do not know. I do know the brakes are just applying as the brake lights activate
Not normal The sign of an old and probably rusted/corroded brake light switch.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the answers so far. I am having trouble locating the pressure switch. It is not on the treadle valve. It is not one of the three on the firewall.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

The brake light switch has to be mounted on the application side of your treadle valve, and before any relay or brake limiting valve. The most commom site is attached to the treadle valve, but it could also be remotely mounted. Look for an air line coming from the treadle valve, it could even be teed of a line to your brake application guage. But it will be there. I suspect it will be one of the three on your firewall. It will have two wires attached to two posts, One of the wires will have 12 volts, even with the key off Have some one stand at the rear of your coach, and momentary connect 12 volts to the terminal that does not have power. Your brake lights should come on. when you apply 12v to the correct terminal.
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I got it figured out. It took a few min and the parts are on order. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I changed the 2 pressure switches today and it solved my problem. The lights come on as soon as the brakes are applied.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Listen to Alan, by all means! Brazel's does good work, has great folks working there, and are experts with Class A RVs.

Just wanted to say that in the meantime, if your rig acts as ours does, if turn your exhaust brake switch on, your brake lights will activate as soon as your foot comes off the accelerator (except at very low speeds). It's annoying to us to have the brake lights come on everytime we let off the accelerator but we will usually keep the exhaust brake off until we need it so the brake lights are usually not an issue for us.

But temporarily for you, at least it might be a little safer and prevent you from possibly getting rear ended until you get your treadle adjusted.
On our DSDP the center brake light comes on when I lift my foot off the throttle treadle with the exhaust brake on, then the other lights come on when I actually apply the service brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #11

I am impressed with how quickly you got your parts.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Mr_D;1349932]On our DSDP the center brake light comes on when I lift my foot off the throttle treadle with the exhaust brake on, then the other lights come on when I actually apply the service brakes.[/QUOTE

Interesting, so the centre light comes on when you lift off the throttle, but only with the exhaust brake on. But all the brake lights come on (including the centre mounted) when actually applying the brakes, with the exhaust brake off.
I think that is brilliant-- I wish that concept would be passed on to the trucking industry, so that the brake lights come on when the Jakes are being used
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
NAPA had the parts. It is a common truck part lucky for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
NAPA had the parts. It is a common truck part lucky for me.
Jeep, Would you post that NAPA part no. just in case it comes up again? Thanks
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, lights