RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Brake-Over Event on 2019 F53 V10, Heads Up

I had an issue with my 2019 class A with the V10 on F53 chassis. I posted a few months back about my engine cutting out then surging forward. It would only happen about every 1000 miles, usually on a steep hill and most recently coming out of a roundabout. It is very concerning when you think you are going to stall on a crowded roadway. The check engine light does not come on. It felt like the engine was starved for fuel or air. There is no fuel filter and no fuel lines were kinked, I changed the air filter just in case. The issue happened again.....
I took in the coach and spoke with a very experienced Ford tech who has worked on motorhomes for over 10 years. He said he had heard this complaint about a dozen times. He said the unit is designed as a safety measure to cut off the fuel if the gas and the brake are applied at the same time. Sometimes the engine doghouse is close to the gas pedal and your right foot will be slightly on the left side of the gas pedal and near enough to the brake that the side of your right foot will brush the brake pedal. This is called a brake-over event and is logged in the computer. My coach had 6 brake-over events logged.
Driving home I was very cognizant of my foot position and indeed the instep of my right foot occasionally touched the edge of the brake pedal. The further I pushed the gas down, the closer my instep came to the brake pedal. With just a little movement I was able to recreate the engine cut out I have been experiencing.
My driving position has the seat pretty far forward and this contributes to the problem. Having a size 13 shoe doesnít help either! Now that I know whatís happening, it is something I can easily avoid.
Posting this in case anyone else has had it happen.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

I had the same thing happen once on my 2021 with a 2020 F53 chassis. The dash info display showed a message to the effect of power reduced and I believe brake depressed.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #3

It's not just the Ford RV chassis. I'm not sure if it is now mandatory but most, if not all, US vehicles have had this feature for several years. Allegedly this came after the Toyota unintended acceleration episodes caused by "tangled floor mats" but Buick had the feature before that era.

Some people have experienced the situation if they use their left foot to brake on automatic transmission cars and don't release the brake before hitting the gas pedal. Try it yourself by accelerating, stay on the gas, then just touch the brake and feel the engine almost quit then surge after the brake is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall View Post
.... He said the unit is designed as a safety measure to cut off the fuel if the gas and the brake are applied at the same time...Posting this in case anyone else has had it happen....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Some people have experienced the situation if they use their left foot to brake on automatic transmission cars and don't release the brake before hitting the gas pedal.

Wait.... then how are you going to be able to do a power brake burnout???? This is some manufacturer BS!
Old 12-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

It's not the burnouts I miss. The worst thing, when in a car and trying to accelerate into an acceptable but close gap in traffic, is to inadvertently touch the brake just when you want to GO. My VW Golf GTI has about a 2 second lag; just enough to get one in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Wait.... then how are you going to be able to do a power brake burnout???? This is some manufacturer BS!
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Another case where the lawyers have trumped the engineers. In today's litigious atmosphere, the risk of a liability lawsuit by some twit outweighs any slight tech advantage that only benefits a skilled driver.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for posting this. I'm having a similar periodic issue. Next time it happens I'll play close attention to where my foot is to see if I'm brushing up against the brake pedal.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

Agree. Sort of off-topic, but there are situations in extreme high performance or race track driving where the brake and gas pedals are used, in variable levels, at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Another case where the lawyers have trumped the engineers. In today's litigious atmosphere, the risk of a liability lawsuit by some twit outweighs any slight tech advantage that only benefits a skilled driver.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #9

My 2012 Honda CRV does that. I drive with left foot operating the brake and right on the gas. I remember the first time I took off from a stop sign, down hard on the gas, and nothing, then wiggled around a little bit wondering what was happening and as my foot came all the way off the brake, I still had my right down on the gas, and it took off like a shot (for a 4 cyl).
It still happens occasionally, but now I know what to expect..

Tags
vent, f53, v10, brake