Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Brake Over Heating

Putting new brakes on a 05 Thor on a Workhorse and found this, 22,000 miles.
Drop a gear to descend those hills please.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_103448.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	150102
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Either that or please make sure your will is up to date.

There are always some good shockers on here - http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/TR5Z5
Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which Workhorse chassis? The W20 & W22 has a Brake recall that addresses sticking calipers, which could very well cause overheating and subsequent rotor damage like that.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Which Workhorse chassis? The W20 & W22 has a Brake recall that addresses sticking calipers, which could very well cause overheating and subsequent rotor damage like that.
Yep,,, excessive downhill brake usage can cause this but i'd bet money it was because of a sticking caliber. It's not limited to just the W20 and 22. I have the P32 chassis and have had to put up with this problem at all 4 corners.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing this, as it could help others avoid potential dangerous situations in the future.

We had a very short period of problems with our 98 Bounder, on a 99 F53 chassis, with the front left brake. I got to where when stopping for breaks, and or fuel, I would hit both of the front inside brakes with the temperature gun. That was one sure way I could tell if the left brake was again dragging a bit.

While not as common in the new chassis, say post mid 90's(?), the improvement in the brake fluids has really increased the levels temperatures need to climb too to cause fluid steaming/boiling. (Just recently had a friend with a 1 Ton truck complain that his brakes seemed different while doing a long climb down an interstate near San Diego (I8 West). After we talked for a few minutes, I asked him when was the last time he had his brake fluid changed? With an answer that talks about the many, many drivers that don't know that this needs to be done. (Mid 80's 1 Ton Dodge. He'd had it since day one, and never changed the brake fluid. Was on his original disc, but had personally replaced the pads at least twice.)

Glad you caught yours before it caught you!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Yep,,, excessive downhill brake usage can cause this but i'd bet money it was because of a sticking caliber. It's not limited to just the W20 and 22. I have the P32 chassis and have had to put up with this problem at all 4 corners.
W20/W22 owners don't have to put up with the problem. The factory recall will replace all 4 calipers and flush the fluid, free of charge to all owners. Simply call an Authorized Workhorse Chassis Service provider and give them your VIN; they can tell you if the recall has been performed. Just had mine done (new to me 2004 Itasca on the W20 chassis); recall was still open but has now been taken care of.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
We checked the vin, recall was done in 2014.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

One of the simplest way to inspect for a sticking caliper is to put the vehicle on a slight incline, put the transmission in neutral and lift your foot off the brake.... if on the slight incline the vehicle starts to roll on its own... you know that at that time, there isn't a drag... almost any amount of drag will prevent roll...

BTW we used to turn a large amount of mid size Truck and large RV rotors... some of the surface cracks in the picture are normal, however the deep, all the way through crack of course is not...

Each rotor has a throw away dimension on the side of the rotor.... if turning and than surface grinding removes a very large majority of those cracks it can be returned to service... its the same way with surface heat cracks in brake drums and Flywheels... a certain amount is expected and in some cases acceptable... the surface needs to be evaluated by a professional after the rotor/drum is turned and measured for safety....

Hope this helps...
Old 01-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
To those that have similar MH's - Please don't drive your coach like a car. Especially on downhill runs. Get that speed down going over the top then hold speed with lower gear (like you stated) and harder but shorter brake applications then let them cool a bit between applications. Don't ride them all the way down the hill. I never turn rotors - they go in the garbage and I get new ones. My current coach though, has massive drums and exhaust brakes but I still go over the top slow then speed up if I have to.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

The sticking caliper issue can be caused by the basic design of "Sliding calipers" (I'm making the assumption that Ford, Workhorse, and Chevrolet all use sliding caliper brakes).

Sliding calipers only have piston(s) on one side so, in order for the pads to press on both sides of the rotor, the entire caliper must be free to move so it acts like a clamp on the rotor. If the calipers doesn't slide, only one brake pad grips the rotor, resulting in significantly reduced brake effectiveness. Chevrolet sliding calipers must be lubricated to maintain the capacity to slide, and I'm sure this is needed in some form for others.

Sliding brake calipers are a cost reduction from fixed calipers with piston(s) on both sides, are used in many applications, and work properly if everything slides. High performance cars do not have sliding caliper brakes...make your own judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
One of the simplest way to inspect for a sticking caliper is to put the vehicle on a slight incline, put the transmission in neutral and lift your foot off the brake.... if on the slight incline the vehicle starts to roll on its own... you know that at that time, there isn't a drag... almost any amount of drag will prevent roll...

BTW we used to turn a large amount of mid size Truck and large RV rotors... some of the surface cracks in the picture are normal, however the deep, all the way through crack of course is not...

Each rotor has a throw away dimension on the side of the rotor.... if turning and than surface grinding removes a very large majority of those cracks it can be returned to service... its the same way with surface heat cracks in brake drums and Flywheels... a certain amount is expected and in some cases acceptable... the surface needs to be evaluated by a professional after the rotor/drum is turned and measured for safety....

Hope this helps...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, heat, heating