Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brake problems

I have a 91 Southwind P-30 chassis. 454 engine, 4 wheel disc brakes. I flushed the power steering system and brake system before installing a new hydraboost and master cylinder. 4 new calipers, new hoses new front rotors. The reason I did all this is because the front brakes were getting hot and locking up. I have bled and bled all systems to the tune of 5 quarts of fluid thru the brakes. I kept getting a soft pedal, I just figured with a new hydraboost I just had an abundance of power assist, not the case. I just test drove the thing and the brakes go all the way to the floor to the extent of the brake pressure light coming on. I'm to my wits end with it, all out of ideas. Any ideas out there what the problem could be?
Bcollier9253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Where the fluid comes out of the master cylinder to the first split could be the problem. That valve could be letting just enough fluid to seem like you are bleeding. I do not know what that first block is called but that is what they replaced on my brother's unit
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Sounds like you got a bad master cylinder. Some have a switch to light a warning lamp to warn of different pressure between front and rear. If you have such a system, it could that.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
YC1

If you are bleeding by pressing the brakes a bubble in a high spot of a hose will never leave. There are some special tools to help. I had a vacuum device for my airplane brakes. With clear brake lines I could see the bubbles and they drove me crazy.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Sounds like you got a bad master cylinder. Some have a switch to light a warning lamp to warn of different pressure between front and rear. If you have such a system, it could that.
Brand new, not reman master cylinder
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found the valve that the lines from the mc go to, it has an electrical wire going to it. I'm going to assume the wire us for the brake pressure light
Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
If you are bleeding by pressing the brakes a bubble in a high spot of a hose will never leave. There are some special tools to help. I had a vacuum device for my airplane brakes. With clear brake lines I could see the bubbles and they drove me crazy.
I used a vacume bleeder and had good fluid, no bubbles
Old 07-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
YC1

It has been several years since my hydroboost rv. I recall having to raise the front wheels and turn the steering wheel clock to clock with the engine (off?) and with the cap off the fluid reservoir. Had to do it slowly to not bubble fluid out. Could have been with engine on but it seems I remember working up a sweat.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
By chance do you have seized or sticking calipers? This is a common problem on many cars I have worked on. I guess it could be true on a coach too.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Master cylinder while new, could still be bad. Exchange for another new one.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Master cylinder while new, could still be bad. Exchange for another new one.
Going to pull the mc off today and bench bleed 1 more time. Also going to install a new proportioning valve as well. Thanks everyone for your inputs!! Hope this does it, it's all that is left.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
It has been several years since my hydroboost rv. I recall having to raise the front wheels and turn the steering wheel clock to clock with the engine (off?) and with the cap off the fluid reservoir. Had to do it slowly to not bubble fluid out. Could have been with engine on but it seems I remember working up a sweat.
Yessir, ben there done that too !! Lol
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Where the fluid comes out of the master cylinder to the first split could be the problem. That valve could be letting just enough fluid to seem like you are bleeding. I do not know what that first block is called but that is what they replaced on my brother's unit
Going to replace that today if I can find the part in stock. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
In general, I would not touch my hydroboost without going to the Workhorse repair manual for proper procedure. People in general need to be very careful not to introduce air into the hydroboost system. Just saying... the repair manual is very definite about the procedure involving the hydroboost. Trust but verify!