Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Brake Replacement Interval - CC Magna '08

Newbie question here.

We're looking at a 2008 Country Coach Magna - our first coach. That year they went to disk brakes on all wheels including tag. The two coaches we're interested in both have about 20,000 miles.

These are heavy coaches (62,000+ lbs) with ISX 600 HP engines (which I would assume means they didn't spend life in the slow lane)...but they do have three stage exhaust brakes, which shifts braking from brakes to engine.

What would be a typical number of miles before most need the front pads replaced? On some of the cars we've owned, it was typical around this mileage, but I have no experience with an RV.

Related question...what's a rough cost if they just replace pads?

All responses appreciated!!!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

Your question is a tough one to answer, if your driving uses the Jake to slow down all the time and then uses the brakes for stopping from slow speeds the brakes could last 10's of thousands of miles. If your driving has you using the brakes most of the time because you forget to use the Jake you could go through brakes every 10,000 miles. Our coach is near 50,000 lbs and I changed the front brake pads @ 50K, now at 61K I am told there is no signs of wear, I use my two stage Jake all the time.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

The brakes on these coaches will last upwards of 100K miles as long as there are no other problems, such as high temperature problems from sticking brakes, etc.

From a wear standpoint, the answer is a very long time, much longer than 20K mi.

I do recommend having the brakes serviced periodically, which generally does not require any parts. Just cleaning and lubrication where necessary.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Just an observation:

62000 lbs / 600 hp = 103 lbs per HP

Huge engine for a heavy coach so exceeds the recommended minimum 100:1 ratio before adding the toad.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Just an observation:

62000 lbs / 600 hp = 103 lbs per HP

Huge engine for a heavy coach so exceeds the recommended minimum 100:1 ratio before adding the toad.
(sound of something whistling over my head)

You got me deandec...I have no idea of what you mean. Is my potential a good set up or a bad one? This year was the first that went to all disk brakes with all aluminum wheels (less unsprung weight) and upgraded all tires to 315s.

Do your calculation mean this is going to be the RV equivalent of a sports car?

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
(sound of something whistling over my head)

You got me deandec...I have no idea of what you mean. Is my potential a good set up or a bad one? This year was the first that went to all disk brakes with all aluminum wheels (less unsprung weight) and upgraded all tires to 315s.

Do your calculation mean this is going to be the RV equivalent of a sports car?

Mark
No, I think he is inferring that the coach may actually be a little underpowered.

Based on the standard that the engine in any coach must be matched to a minimum standard of 100 HP of coach weight for every 1 engine HP.

My coach is 29000 lb, with a 350 HP engine.

29000 lb / 350 HP = 83 lb/HP

That should mean that by comparison, my coach should be the race horse.
It doesn't feel like a race horse, but it certainly has enough power.

I don't exactly know what all this has to do with your concerns about the brakes.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Sorry, I was off topic, but responded to your statement:

"(62,000+ lbs) with ISX 600 HP engines (which I would assume means they didn't spend life in the slow lane)"

I envy folks who are considering a unit with a big engine, but then am reminded that the big engine is needed to just move the heavy rig around.

So, you might expect to be in the slow lane at times with that combo. (I did not perceive that your comment was tongue in cheek.)

Also, I think that beautiful rig would have a three stage engine brake rather than an exhaust brake. Much better set up.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #8

The GVW on that coach is 52,000 not 62,000

52,000/600 = 86.7lb/HP

Still a respectable number.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You really need to add the toad into the weight/hp calculation - the engine has to move the total actual weight.

The 62k lbs was probably the GCWR, though I doubt if the actual weight would go that high unless towing a large enclosed trailer.

Back to the brake question, few motorhomes with exhaust or engine brakes ever wear out the service brakes. 100k+ miles would be fairly typical according to a Freightliner rep at a rally I attended.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, replacement