Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question Brake shutter

Sometimes when I hit my breaks they 'Shutter' bad enough that it shakes the whole MH. What could be causing that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Drums or disc? Either way, it's likely a warped rotating assembly. Usually due to severe overheating, sometimes due to dragging like a caliper hangup, sometimes due to over use/improper use like riding the brakes, and usually cannot be turned. If it were due to severe overheating, pads/shoes likely need to be replaced, as well as about everything else in the wheel system from the flex line out, slave cylinder/caliper, etc. Replace in pairs, both fronts or both rears, regardless of the shape of the opposing brake. Or you can take your chances. Personally, not being able to stop is worse than not being able to go.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

Probably brakes but also possible loose wheel.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

brake shudder

If your are on a Workhorse Chassis, very likely warped or cracked rotors due to dragging calipers. There was a recall to replace faulty calipers some years back.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
If your are on a Workhorse Chassis, very likely warped or cracked rotors due to dragging calipers. There was a recall to replace faulty calipers some years back.

X2
If they are disk type. At the age of your coach and assuming you have not recently overheated the brakes, like on a steep down hill grade, then a caliper is probably sticking causing the rotor to overheat and warp.

Loose wheel, bad wheel bearing could be possible. These might also cause clunking noise when turning.

If it is caliper/rotor issue, I would replace both front brake assemblies from the caliper out. Caliper, rotor,pads.

Severe steering wheel shudder tells me the issue is with the front steer axle and they are probably disk brakes. Out of round drums will usually surge more than shudder.

You may have disk brakes on front, drum on rear. Possible you have disk all the way around.

Like Tony said, doesn't matter how fast you are capable of going if you can't stop.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Sometimes when I hit my breaks they 'Shutter' bad enough that it shakes the whole MH. What could be causing that?
Check the rubber line that runs to the brake assembly. Years ago I had a brake hanging up and the line had broken down internally. A flap would drop down and act like a check valve keeping fluid in the caliper.
Also, the metal bracket that mounts the hose to the spindle could be building with rust and squeezing the hose shut. Had that happen also.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
Check the rubber line that runs to the brake assembly. Years ago I had a brake hanging up and the line had broken down internally. A flap would drop down and act like a check valve keeping fluid in the caliper.
Also, the metal bracket that mounts the hose to the spindle could be building with rust and squeezing the hose shut. Had that happen also.

Good luck.
Definitely cheaper than caliper replacement. I'm guessing still needed rotor and pads.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank You so much for your replys.

I'll have this checked out and report back when I do.

Tags
brake