Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Braking doesn't feel 100%

Bought this with 32,000 so only know what I learned since driving this year about 9,000 miles, I now have 41,000 miles on my Freightliner coach drums all round, fronts have auto slack adjusters, rear do not.

Stopped at a shop that had a certified dot guy take a look, said the pads are like new thickness wise, I saw that myself.

He made a minor adjustment on the rears said all looked good.

Just don't feel like I can stop on a dime.

any suggestions on what to check?

I was thinking about pulling the front drums for starters to see if there's anything noticeable there.

i
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In theory if you stand on the brakes all 4 wheels should lock up (only try this somewhere with plenty of space!!) and/or ABS kick in if fitted. Of course that isn't to nice on the fixtures, fittings and contents.

Is there not a testing station that has a rolling road/brake tester.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Like most of the RVers we are too EZ on the brakes. We don't use them hard enough. The cure, burnish the brakes. everything down,then on a boat so busy road use the brakes very hard from a higher speed several times and the brakes should improve. Now loaded your at 30000# plus or minus your not going to stop on a dime.

LEN
Old 09-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

I was told but never confirmed that there are multiple compounds available for air barkes as well as hydraulic.
Check to see if you have a relining company anywhere near you.
I would attempt to try the prescribe procedure above first. Brakes have an optimum temprature they like to operate at. Get them good and hot with multiple near stops from 30-40 mph in a safe location.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Here is some interesting Bedtime Reading on this subject in relation to drum brakes with S Cams.

http://www.apta.com/resources/standa...-RP-005-10.pdf

Take note of Burnishing Brakes in 3.2.4.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
that's great resource, tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Here is some interesting Bedtime Reading on this subject in relation to drum brakes with S Cams.

http://www.apta.com/resources/standa...-RP-005-10.pdf

Take note of Burnishing Brakes in 3.2.4.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget you're not stopping your car, you're stopping upwards of 15 tons, and that won't stop on a "dime", you'll need $10's to stop that.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Google "burnishing brakes" You will find absolutely nothing about applying the brakes hard. Also once the brakes are properly burnished it will not need to be done again. However you can't burnish brakes that have been glazed by overheating.

I'm not as familiar with air brakes but I don't believe that drum brakes will lock up unless you are on gravel. Disc brakes can unless you have ABS. Since you don't know the service history or the care given the unit since you are not comfortable with the stopping perhaps they need to be looked at by a reputable facility. Glazed or overheated brakes can not generate the necessary heat to stop a coach. The only fix is to start over with quality shoes (pads are only used on disc brakes) machined drums and perform a proper burnish following the work.

If performed correctly you will have the best brakes available with drums brakes.

TeJay
Old 09-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You can lock drum brakes, just not sure you could on a truck! Certainly all the *cars* i've driven with all drums you could lock up so it's nothing to do with the basic way the brakes work.
Disk Brakes are better at dissipating heat than drums is all.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
are the brakes abs if so wwont lock up also follow proceedure for self adjusters if you have them
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Bought this with 32,000 so only know what I learned since driving this year about 9,000 miles, I now have 41,000 miles on my Freightliner coach drums all round, fronts have auto slack adjusters, rear do not.

Stopped at a shop that had a certified dot guy take a look, said the pads are like new thickness wise, I saw that myself.

He made a minor adjustment on the rears said all looked good.

Just don't feel like I can stop on a dime.

any suggestions on what to check?

I was thinking about pulling the front drums for starters to see if there's anything noticeable there.

i
Do you do the DOT recommended Pre-Trip Air Brake Test on your rig?

Part of that procedure adjusts the automatic Slack Adjusters and might improve your brake performance.

If needed, the procedures are easily found on the web.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #12

My DP didnt stop as quick as I thought it should so I did the adjustment thing with them and now it stops much better.

To adjust the automatic slack adjusters you need to get the engine running and have full air pressure, put transmission in neutral, release the ebrake air ( push the yellow button in ) then step on the brakes hard and release, do this 6 times . This will bring your adjusters up to the top. After I did this I noticed a significant improvement in braking.

Cheers
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote