Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #1

Brand new with a question on Class A diesel

So was going between a 5th wheel and a 34-36' class a pusher. My search is alot of fun we will probably purchase something a couple years old maintained well. i have a large yard and will keep it on my property, i have a tree off the street i have to remove no biggie. The bigger isssue is my driveway goes up hill off the street with a rather steep curb, most of our cars except the suv's scrape.
I can get somewhat of a angle and possibly back it up but more importantly can i get airlifts put onto the diesel pusher that would lift up the back when i need it just for going up the driveway? I want to avoid keeping planks in my yard when i return and also dont want to hold up traffic in my quiet neighborhood thru the back up process. My dad drove a city bus in pittsburgh and they had the kneeler button the buses so that handicap people didnt have a big step up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
dougpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

Our driveway is similar as you describe. My 35 foot coach drags the hitch everytime I enter and leave. The UPS truck actually got stuck when a extended hitch on the truck dug in and his rear tires left the ground.

On your question, yes there is a device that will lift the rear air bags a little, but I haven't really looked into it. maybe now is a good time to look into it again.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #3

You will need to find a way to disable the leveling valves on the rear, otherwise they will let air out of the stock rear bags when you attempt to raise the rear with optional air bags.
Thinking out loud; I've seen city driveways with a pipe laid in the gutter and concrete poured over the pipe, making a ramp.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #4

Years ago when I looked into it, I remember someone was selling a solenoid that you could mount that would move the leveling valve lever so the airbags would inflate and raise the rear.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps look for a Coach with air bag suspension that has "air leveling"(rather than, or in addition to, hyd jack leveling).

My Coach has the HWH air leveling which has a "raise" button to lift up the chassis. It will only will stay raised while you hold down the raise button (when in Travel mode), so you can drive at the raise height, which is great for situations like yours, or crossing railroad tracks, etc.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

I just did a search and found this. Here is a link to a discussion from back in 2018
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tem...se-375292.html
Old 08-19-2020, 06:47 AM   #7

If, as you say, have a big yard, why not just make a separate entrance for your coach on to your property. You would likely need to hire someone with a bobcat to level it off then put down gravel. This is exactly what I did.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Does your existing drive have the strength for a 35-40k lb vehicle ? if only 2 or 3 inches and no rebar, it may not... so research that first...

If the existing is fine, another option, which may help all your guests, is to widen the entrance to your existing driveway and lessen the grade....

but a second circular entrance may be the ticket ! we are like the gooberment, we can spend YOUR money easily
good luck !

(and jealous you can park it at home.. rv storage adds up - I figure @ a cheap $100/mth (with elec. - I know!) times 10 years - $12000 could have built a nice garage !
Old 08-19-2020, 07:12 AM   #9

We live on top of a mountain in North Georgia and our driveway is very steep and then makes an abrupt change in angle as you approach the parking area, needless to say a nightmare for parking a 33' coach without scraping. We solved the issue with a set of 'skid-wheels' that attach to the hitch, which fortunately is the low point on the rear. The 'skid-wheels' actually force the rear end to rise and keeps the coach from scraping. I can imagine this setup would not work for everyone depending on how dramatic your change in grade is from the driveway to the parking area.

Our previous class C 'Born-Free' had a set of 'skid-wheels' that were installed at the factory and they were a life saver when pulling into driveways that had a drastic change in grade.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
glad it's worked out for you but I would be seriously concerned with those...
Ask your mfg and I'll bet they'll say not no, but HELL no

if the grade is too much, the amount of force on the frame COULD be catastrophic!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

It sounds to me like you need to find a place to store it off-premises!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Where do you live in North GA Mtns. I lived in Hiawassee and Blairsville for years.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel