RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Brands that offered DDAD Series 60 Engines?

I am interested in finding out what brands/models offered the Detroit Diesel Series 60 Engine.

So far I have found Monaco, Beaver, H.R. (and maybe one other Monaco twin), Bluebird Wanderlodge, Foretravel, Newell and Prevost. I think I saw a Newmar with one, but I could not find it again, maybe I was wrong.

Is there a list or does someone know what RVs used these engines?

Note: only really interested in the Series 60, not in the DD13

Also note: I would put this it he drive-train section but they do not have one for Detroit Diesel.

Thank you.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Im not sure why you are so stuck on a Detroit diesel. I know you have said they are a million mile motor. Most rvs would be lucky to have 100,000 miles, let alone a million. I think you are limiting yourself to very few rvs, as not many have the Detroit except older large buses. The Cat, and Cummins are good motors as well. I just think you are thinking you are going to be putting way more miles on this rv than you actually will be. Find the rv that appeals to you, and has the floorplan that works for you and your family. I wouldnt worry which diesel motor it has. They all need maintained. They all will cost about the same. Cheers
Old 10-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think thats about the most complete list Iv seen, and they generally were options, not std power. I heard early DD60s had electronics issues. They were one of the first to go full electronic common rail fueling. G/L
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've found several Holiday Rambler Navigators and Monaco Executives in the 2004-2007 year group with Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine options. I've only seen one 2004 Signature, one 2008 Dynasty, and one 2007 Beaver Marquis with the DD-60, but they are out there.

I drove both the Signature and the Marquis and they were excellent coaches. Effortless acceleration.

If you find a nice one, be prepared to move quickly as there are a lot of retired truck drivers that will snap them up.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #5

For years we had the Series 60 in ALL of our fire trucks. OUTSTANDING ENGINE without a doubt. We ran the 425 HP and 500HP versions. I too would love to have one in our coach. We're running the CAT C-7 330HP and, so far, knock on wood, that engine's performed outstanding for us in 7 years and over 43,000 miles. But, I'd still rather have the Series 60.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Im not sure why you are so stuck on a Detroit diesel. I know you have said they are a million mile motor. Most rvs would be lucky to have 100,000 miles, let alone a million. I think you are limiting yourself to very few rvs, as not many have the Detroit except older large buses. The Cat, and Cummins are good motors as well. I just think you are thinking you are going to be putting way more miles on this rv than you actually will be. Find the rv that appeals to you, and has the floorplan that works for you and your family. I wouldnt worry which diesel motor it has. They all need maintained. They all will cost about the same. Cheers
People who know engines seem to understand (see below). They are simple and very common (in trucks). They do not break often, but if something does need replacing, parts are readily available and virtually every diesel mechanic out there knows how to work on and maintain them. If you ask owners of truck fleets, thy rave about them. They had unusually good low end torque. Further I do not want to mess with DEF or emissions junk, so I am focusing on engines made before 2007. Finally since there is no reason to pay for a new RV or a newer, less powerful less reliable engine, that is my preference. Also in looking at older(ish) RVs, many of them came with engines that I consider too small. Finally, the RVs I like best so far, all offered them. We prefer the Beaver of what we have seen, Prevost and Newell have some obvious advantages, but also an obvious cost. The only RV we are currently interested in at all that did not offer the Series 60 is Newmar. Still there are probably a hundred brands out there we do not even know about yet. so maybe something will be so amazing it will change our minds. What I have seen so far are basically the same except the engine, chassis and body frame. Inside, the nicer ones are basically the same, just slightly different locations for the stuff, but all the same stuff. IF the stove breaks, I do not care, I will just fix it our replace it. But if the engine or transmission breaks - well that is a really big problem. Series 60 is the best way to avoid that serious problem, or at least substantially decrease the possibility. The Series 60 overhaul recommendation was at 750K miles as you point out, we will never hit that. So we will never be needing an engine overhaul unless we do something stupid.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I've found several Holiday Rambler Navigators and Monaco Executives in the 2004-2007 year group with Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine options. I've only seen one 2004 Signature, one 2008 Dynasty, and one 2007 Beaver Marquis with the DD-60, but they are out there.

I drove both the Signature and the Marquis and they were excellent coaches. Effortless acceleration.

If you find a nice one, be prepared to move quickly as there are a lot of retired truck drivers that will snap them up.
Thanks. Good point. I have noticed they seem to sell in a few days when they come up. Usually when I see them that are sold and just not taken down yet. Not sure it is only truckers that snap them up.

IF the engine and chassis and body are nice, that is all that really matters. I can take care of anything else. I would like decent cabinetry, but all the electrical, plumbing, and equipment - I can readily do that. Replacing it will involve upgrading it anyway, so if the price is low enough, one needing some work inside might be a better deal.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:48 PM   #8

Here’s one that has a Detroit 60 and is still available...

https://www.rvt.com/Prevost-Marathon...53591-UX150420
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Coldjensens-

Use this Google search syntax to ferret out coaches with DD engines:

"Detroit Diesel" site:rvtrader.com
"Detroit Diesel" site:rvt.com

You have to know the site to search, but once you do it is effective.

Here is a link to a more-focused search example:

"Detroit Diesel" "Series 60" "Monaco" site:rvtrader.com

Here's a 2009 tag-axle, 45-foot Super C with a DD. I have to think that's rare. May have the newer-model DD, though.

Here is a a link to search results on iRV2.

"Detroit Diesel" site:irv2.com

Happy hunting!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #10

Our 2006 Prevost had a Detroit Diesel Series 60. It was a great engine. In the 2008 model year for Prevost they switched to the Volvo D13. That model year would have been typically used in 2009 and later conversion years. The D13 is also a great engine and gets somewhat better mileage.

So 2008 and older Prevost conversions (Millennium, Marathon, Liberty, Featherlite etc) had Detroits.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If you have to ask why a DD engine…... Never mind. Monaco bought up a bunch of 06 Cummings engines and maybe some DDs as they were still an option in 07. My 08 Navigator has a 06 ISX engine.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #12

I guess if you are shopping for a 45 ft bus with a tag, that might be a different story, but I have been shopping for diesel pushers up to around forty feet for seven years, and could count on one hand how many have had detroits in them. Im not knocking you for wanting what you want, but my point is, chances are you are never going to put anywhere near enough miles on the rv to have to worry about wearing out the motors. Do you not think there are millions of trucks out there with Cummins and Cat motors. The parts are readily available for these engines as well. If you look at mhs that are 15 years old, my bet is most of them have well under 100,000 miles on them. We have put 20,000 miles on in the last two winters on the rv, and another 8,000 on the car. There is only so many times you will travel that far. Once you have done the tour a few times, you will find an area you like, and settle in to far less traveling. This seems to be how the average person does it. Traveling non stop for months gets a bit tiring after a while. Some people might continue, but most slow down after several years of it.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I guess if you are shopping for a 45 ft bus with a tag, that might be a different story, but I have been shopping for diesel pushers up to around forty feet for seven years, and could count on one hand how many have had detroits in them. Im not knocking you for wanting what you want, but my point is, chances are you are never going to put anywhere near enough miles on the rv to have to worry about wearing out the motors. Do you not think there are millions of trucks out there with Cummins and Cat motors. The parts are readily available for these engines as well. If you look at mhs that are 15 years old, my bet is most of them have well under 100,000 miles on them. We have put 20,000 miles on in the last two winters on the rv, and another 8,000 on the car. There is only so many times you will travel that far. Once you have done the tour a few times, you will find an area you like, and settle in to far less traveling. This seems to be how the average person does it. Traveling non stop for months gets a bit tiring after a while. Some people might continue, but most slow down after several years of it.
Do a search in "dropped valve in #6" in the Cummins area, you should find my thread as well as others. Try Google and you'll find even more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #14

See you have a 45 ft with a tag. I just wasnt aware that they were considering something that big. There original post says they were debating between a fifth wheel or an rv in 10 to 12 years. Maybe I missed something.

Tags
engine, offer