Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Brazel’s RV Performance

Promised an update on the Ultra tune after my extended trip. Tried to find the thread, without success.

So, left central Texas, to DFW area, then off to Arkansas to mine for diamonds, to Paul B Johnson State park in Hattiesburg MS, Flint River RV park in Bainridge GA, Myakka State Park in Sarasota FL, then a week at Ft Myers Beach at Red Coconut RV park & boat trip to Key West.

Tropical storm Nestor Caused us to end our trip 2 days short, so packed up & boogied home. Stopped in a rest area west of Tallahassee for a nap, then off to Lafayette LA KOA (thanx to them for finding a spot when they were crowded).

During the entire trip I was impressed with the Ultra tune, the power & shifting were great. Acceleration up the hills was excellent, seldom needing a downshift.

The tune was the best part of the trip, after poor choices of campgrounds & an encounter that ripped my left mirror off leaving me blind on that side until I could find an auto parts to duct tape a mirror on.

Glad I decided to take advantage of their offer. Thanx Mr Brazel!

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #2

Here's your previous thread
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/facts...ml#post4902162
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post

I have very poor results searching here. Don't have same trouble on similar sites. Tips appreciated.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #4

I just did a search of of your username
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

If you go up to the "Search" box and click on it, a drop menu will give you the option of looking at all of your posts or discussions started by you.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post

I think I was trying to stay away from the 5 Star thread, so I probably didn't read far enuf. Didn't want to knock them, since I have both tunes, 5 Star was good (except for the engine light problem), but Ultra performed better for me.

This V10 is a beast. I had to chase down the truck that knocked my mirror off, with a toad in tow. No problem except for DW offering advice ;-)

Thanx for the help y'all!

Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #7

Looking with interest/ Could you tell us the difference between the two tunes and why you like Ultra better. I live REAL close to Brazels. I have bought parts from them and the people are very nice.
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Looking with interest/ Could you tell us the difference between the two tunes and why you like Ultra better. I live REAL close to Brazels. I have bought parts from them and the people are very nice.
Thank you.

Not sure if I'm using proper terms, but power curve? on Ultra seemed stronger & shift points fit my driving perfectly.

With Ultra it climbed hills without downshifting 90-95% of the time. I'm towing a 2010 PT Cruiser.

According to my Scan Gauge it got 1-2 mpg better, which I doubted at first. But as I watched it closer it was consistent.

The sound of the engine accelerating & the feel was different. In my younger days I would use aviation gas in my car when I went to the drag strip. It felt stronger, might be my imagination, but I don't think so. I've switched between tunes 2-3 times.

Plus no trouble with check engine light coming on.

My last trip from central Texas, to DFW area, then to Murfreesboro ARK, down to Hattiesburg MISS, over to Bainbridge GA, down to Sarasota & Ft Myers & then direct home via I-75 & I-10, my gas bill was $694 with a little generator use while coming home.

I didn't bother figuring mileage/gallons, since I don't want to see the results usually. I figure what my cost might be for each trip, since DW will always ask how much is it gonna cost. Gas prices $2.09 to $2.59 along the way, average was probably closer to lower end.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #9

Thank you JB. Since you have both 5 Star and Ultra, can you if you want just plug in and go to one or the other any time you want? And, I haven't read this yet, how long does the process take? I don't mind how mine runs right now without any tune, it could be a little better I suppose. I don't like the 2 gear downshift from 5th to 3rd when starting to climb. I take over manually when I see that part coming up. I kind of like to play with it any way. Again, thank you for your input.
Have a Good Day.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
You need to return to stock tune b4 going to another custom tune.

Never timed it & kinda day dream during the transition. I'm guessing 15-30 minutes going back to stock & loading the custom.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Thank you for responding back, appreciate it. Good real information is always welcomed.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
You need to return to stock tune b4 going to another custom tune.

Never timed it & kinda day dream during the transition. I'm guessing 15-30 minutes going back to stock & loading the custom.
So is it a hand held plug in controller for the Ford?
For a Workhorse, I think you swap out the engine computer for one of theirs or send in yours to get reprogrammed.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
I think I was trying to stay away from the 5 Star thread, so I probably didn't read far enuf. Didn't want to knock them, since I have both tunes, 5 Star was good (except for the engine light problem), but Ultra performed better for me.

This V10 is a beast. I had to chase down the truck that knocked my mirror off, with a toad in tow. No problem except for DW offering advice ;-)

Thanx for the help y'all!

What was the code with engine light?
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brazels