Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Not sure about the length of the bridge above, but with most of these short bridges , only one axle at a time will be on it........

I tried that argument once, only 2 axles at a time on a short 15 ton rated bridge taking a shortcut with a MT truck. Fine was just over $500...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #30

I ran into one of these a couple of weeks ago as well going to the local park with free dump station as I was crossing the small bridge by the entrance to the park I saw a new 3 ton weight limit sign (I confirmed it was new as it does not show up on google street view). Now I need to check to see if they have added a similar sign on the bridge on the longer way around to get to the dump station. If so things will get interesting in a couple of months as those are also the 2 ways the carnival vehicles get in for the local fair. It is also the access method for the local community centers ex-school bus
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
My old rig used to weigh about 9 ton fully loaded and new one is about 10-11 ton depending on how much water and supplies I am carrying. With the old rig I never came across some place I was overweight.

Last week I was practically gone past a sign saying 10 ton limit, there was no way I would of stopped in time and even if I had there was no place to turn around.

Should this be a concern?

Thanks,
If it was a 2+ lane bridge and you were the only one on it, its probably fine. You would think they figure 2 passing vehicles on it at once.

I have a 5 ton, single lane, bridge to my house. I see the full size school bus take it and wrote the District about it. I was blown off.

I don't take it with my MH. The alternate route us only 6 more miles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I tried that argument once, only 2 axles at a time on a short 15 ton rated bridge taking a shortcut with a MT truck. Fine was just over $500...
That Officers wife ran off with a truck driver, and you were the blunt of his anger that day.......
Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #33

Could be worse, you could suddenly see this sign as you are making your way to the campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150507_113446.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	216614  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #34

I know one school bus company buys a overweight permit, need a permit for every bus that has to cross the 10 ton weight limit small bridge.

Lots of tickets written for crossing that bridge.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
That Officers wife ran off with a truck driver, and you were the blunt of his anger that day.......
LOL. That officer and I played "Hide and Go Seek" for most of 3 decades. I paid thousands in fines, but He never once tried a shortcut on me or any other driver I talked to. He was always surprised if he stopped me and I was not over somewhere, but did not stop me every time he could. I have more respect for him than most LEOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zproud View Post
I know one school bus company buys a overweight permit, need a permit for every bus that has to cross the 10 ton weight limit small bridge.

Lots of tickets written for crossing that bridge.
When running on a blanket permit, if caught over on a posted bridge, could be big fines. But if I needed to cross, apply for permit to move this machine from here to there. If the state picks the route across, the likely have special instructions. Always slow down, sometimes what line to take, limit other traffic on bridge. Once I had to unload, drive machine across, then truck, and reload, all on a highway that had no shoulder...
Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #36

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
What I have all ways followed was first what type of vehicle is pictured, in post 5 only two types of vehicles are posted, straight truck and single axel tractor with a single axel trailer and second what is the gross weight.
In the OP's case as stated earlier you where on the edge.
The OP didn't state if the RV had a tag axel, IMO since there is not a three axel straight truck posted you would be legal.
I spent years running in and around the Blue Ridge Mountains (some call them speed bumps) hauling O2 to fish farmers and county hospitals ran up on a lot of these weight restrictions.
In my share of roadside inspections that is how a nice PSC, DOT COPLIANCE, LEO officer explained it.
The only word of caution I would give is when you begin to see signs like weight restricted bridges you're probably getting into some overhead issues as well.
You all be cool on your stool. [emoji111]
Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
What I have all ways followed was first what type of vehicle is pictured, in post 5 only two types of vehicles are posted, straight truck and single axel tractor with a single axel trailer and second what is the gross weight.
In the OP's case as stated earlier you where on the edge.
The OP didn't state if the RV had a tag axel, IMO since there is not a three axel straight truck posted you would be legal.
I spent years running in and around the Blue Ridge Mountains (some call them speed bumps) hauling O2 to fish farmers and county hospitals ran up on a lot of these weight restrictions.
In my share of roadside inspections that is how a nice PSC, DOT COPLIANCE, LEO officer explained it.
The only word of caution I would give is when you begin to see signs like weight restricted bridges you're probably getting into some overhead issues as well.
You all be cool on your stool. [emoji111]
So you are saying that if I can up to that bridge with a normal 5 axle tractor trailer there would be no load limit because there is no picture? Never thought to try that.
The pictures show a single unit and a combination. No way they could but enough pictures to show all the axle combinations, and it is not necessary.
And the LEO can tell you what he will let you get away with, but it's the judge that will explain how the law is interpreted.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #38

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
So you are saying that if I can up to that bridge with a normal 5 axle tractor trailer there would be no load limit because there is no picture? Never thought to try that.
The pictures show a single unit and a combination. No way they could but enough pictures to show all the axle combinations, and it is not necessary.
And the LEO can tell you what he will let you get away with, but it's the judge that will explain how the law is interpreted.
ScoobyDoo you are 100% correct it always comes down to a judges interpretation and you can cross with a five axel tractor trailer.
I spent 4 1/2 years as a MCCO examiner in Florida and a weight restricted bridge had to be on the road exam.
Keep in mind our responses are from a commercial drivers point of view. Unless the RVer is some where not designed for RV's like crossing a wooden bridge with planks laid out for tracks, you know the type, state or federal will not give a second look.
As for the local county mounty, yah you may have a discussion with the judge.
Logged 3 1/2 million miles in a 5 axel tanker sticking to what does it say or show on the signage.

I'm sure this thread will bring out some of the, we'll I have a friend that had trouble with the law out in California.
They were most likely to have been somewhere thay should not have been.

My response is based on experience in GA, AL, FL, SC, NC, TN and few others.

Catch you on the backstroke.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #39

If it is a recently added sign, I would bet it is there for a reason. Eeither the structure was deemed to not be safe for more weight, which can cause big issues if you cross. Or it is there to be a money maker, which is not as much money, but more likely to cause your pocket some money. As stated, the fines for being over weight are outrageous, and get higher by how much over you are. Not seeing the sign is not an excuse.

I used to live near this road in Pa, this is two long blocks, not even 3/4 of a mile stretch. It was a money maker for the city. Since Pa goes by GVW, many pickups were ticketed for driving down this road. Judge did not even care that the sign was partially blocked on the one end. If anybody took it to court, the city attorney would bring a copy of the drivers manual, that states drivers are responsible for reading, and observing all traffic control devices. If you try to argue with the judge, he will add on the cost for an engineer to inspect the bridge, and attach a lien on your vehicle, and a do not leave the state with it, or something like that. I heard that at least third hand. I just paid the ticket, and soon moved out of the state.

You can see the only bridge at the back of the second pic. It will handle many multiples of the 4 ton limit.

Edit, I made a 3rd pic (from Google street view), that shows better how far apart the two signs are. I lived there for many years, and did not realize it has 4 tons at one end, and 5 tons at the other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4ton.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	769.2 KB
ID:	216835   Click image for larger version

Name:	4ton1.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	216836  

Name:	4ton2.PNG
Views:	85
Size:	838.8 KB
ID:	216838  
Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #40

Hi Suburban,

I drove past the same place yesterday and saw a restriction sign on the intersection. I know to stay away in future :-)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi Suburban,

I drove past the same place yesterday and saw a restriction sign on the intersection. I know to stay away in future :-)
Smart move.

I used to live where I could see the first sign. The police would sit at the intersection between the two signs, and pull over anything with more then 4 wheels. or pickups that had a 3 or higher weight class sticker. Out of state better yet.
Most local businesses, were exempt. Met Ed right at the second intersection, UPS, anything like that were ok. You could follow one, and have another right behind you, but out of state tags, you would get pulled over.

Its almost 10 years since I left Pa, have not regretted it once.

Thats a difference between the East coast, and out here. Back there, anytime you saw a cop, you checked your speed, and watched him to see if they were after you. Here, if you see a police, parked along the road, you do not first think it is some sort of trap. I do not recall ever seeing one doing a speed trap here.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it was a 2+ lane bridge and you were the only one on it, its probably fine. You would think they figure 2 passing vehicles on it at once.

I have a 5 ton, single lane, bridge to my house. I see the full size school bus take it and wrote the District about it. I was blown off.

I don't take it with my MH. The alternate route us only 6 more miles.

What about fire engines getting to your house. Do they have to do hose lays across the bridge.[emoji15][emoji33]
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight