Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Bringing back color and shine

I would like to hear from you Guys and Gals some suggestions on bringing back the original color and shine on my 2004 Georgie Boy.
It's not real bad but the white has a dull tint to it even after a good wash and hand wax. Yes it shines in the Sunlight but not the shine I want. All of my Stripping looks great, no peeling or cracking anywhere. The rear lower stripping and rear cap is painted and it looks great. Everywhere else the fiberglass is just not Bright. (kind of a dull white)
I have seen Boat hulls that looked dull like this and people have waxed/polished them to a bright white shiny finish. I just don't know what product they used to do it.
One guy I know actually used a fine sandpaper on his Boat hull before wax and polish. It looked great but I don't think this would be the route I want to take.
I have read about a couple products that Rver's use to bring out a nice gloss finish but the reviews 2 - 3 years later were very negative. and I don't want the off white color to shine, I want to make it bright white again and Shine.
Maybe I'm asking a lot of a 15 year old finish but if you have any suggestions (other than full body paint) I would certainly like to hear them.

Thanks
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Try 3M heavy-duty rubbing compound. It does remove all wax, so be prepared to wax again. Don't get aggressive with a power buffer or you will have to re-paint. I hand rub, slower, and less likely to make a mistake.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

A few years ago, I helped a guy clean up his 5th-wheel trailer he was getting ready for sale. He used a Meguiar's kit and I was surprised at how well it turned out. His finish was oxidized and faded from the sun and it brought back a very nice brightness to the yellowed white finish to where it almost looked like a brand new trailer. I did most of the applying and he did the polishing with his orbital sander. I suppose you could hand buff but the orbital polisher was much faster and it didn't do any damage to the finish. He knew what pads to use and the speeds were variable so it went well.

It's a three part kit, however. We worked on it for almost a week. Again, I thought the results were fantastic when comparing before and after. However, I'm not sure how it would look in 2 or 3 years. I think the trailer was about 12 years old.

Meguiar's® Marine/RV Fiberglass Restoration System, M4965, Kit

At Amazon $32.69 & FREE Shipping with a possible 5% off coupon
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #4

Hard to go wrong with properly applied 3M or Meguiar's products! If there is any shine left, one of them should help you find it.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #5

I have used Meguiar's compounds and a variable speed orbital polisher (on the second to lowest speed) and it took me 2 days to do my 37 foot motor home. Keep in mind I only work on it about 4 hours each day. I thought the product did a great job, and it looked better than the day I picked it up new. I reapply the polish and repeat the process every other year. It's a pretty inexpensive way to keep your RV looking really nice.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #6

A clay cloth and water do wonders when topped off with NuFinish......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

I have a 2008 Damon that was dull and wax didn't do it. The wife and I first sanded with 2000 grit and then 3000 followed with 3M compound and then paste wax. Looks better than new. Lots of work and three days at 7 to 8 hours each. Depends on what you want.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We used autobody wet sand paper...started with 2500 and ended with 3000. Applied Mequires paste! lots of work but our rig really shines!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #9

Sandpaper is only for real severe cases.

Your coach has oxidization like ours did and it needs a good compounding, polish and wax.

Here's a link and comments I've posted in the past:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/faded...ml#post3566666

See post# 9
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gelc...on-359393.html

We get complimented all the time on how nice our coach looks and they think it's a new coach. It takes some time to do this and right now while it's cool is a perfect time. It initially took me several days to restore our coach's shine and deal with the graphics. But now I just wash it often and then about twice a year apply Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax with my wheel, then come back with my polishing wheel and it's glistens like new which takes me about a day.

Why I use Meguiar’s Ultimate wax
I'd like to comment on those who say they use Nu Finish wax. I too used Nu Finish for years and loved it UNTIL I bought Meguiar's Ultimate. You have to be careful when applying Nu Finish because—like 99% of waxes—if you get it on rubber trim, black window trim or anything like that, it's nearly impossible to get it all off and it leaves that ugly white streaking. It also dries to a typical white chalky power like most other waxes too. Not Meguiar's Ultimate. This stuff goes on so easy and you don't have to worry about getting it on any trim or anything else for that matter and it buffs out amazing. It's also great for graphics. It's kinda like a "conditioner" for them and restores a nice richness to them. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I don't think you'll ever go back Nu Finish or any other type of wax.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-awnings-1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	231529   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-awnings-2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	231530  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #10

That's why they make Back to Black....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Sandpaper is only for real severe cases.

Your coach has oxidization like ours did and it needs a good compounding, polish and wax.

Here's a link and comments I've posted in the past:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/faded...ml#post3566666

We get complimented all the time on how nice our coach looks and they think it's a new coach. It takes some time to do this and right now while it's cool is a perfect time.

Why I use Meguiar’s Ultimate wax
I'd like to comment on those who say they use Nu Finish wax. I too used Nu Finish for years and loved it UNTIL I bought Meguiar's Ultimate. You have to be careful when applying Nu Finish because—like 99% of waxes—if you get it on rubber trim, black window trim or anything like that, it's nearly impossible to get it all off and it leaves that ugly white streaking. It also dries to a typical white chalky power like most other waxes too. Not Meguiar's Ultimate. This stuff goes on so easy and you don't have to worry about getting it on any trim or anything else for that matter and it buffs out amazing. It's also great for graphics. It's kinda like a "conditioner" for them and restores a nice richness to them. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I don't think you'll ever go back Nu Finish or any other type of wax.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa, Thanks for your input. I have been hearing many positive comments on the Meguiar’s products. I am going to order the Kit with cleaner and wax. I intend to do it manually so this will be a 3 - 4 day event. And I will wait until the weather warms up a bit before I start.

I really appreciate the input form you and others who have experienced this situation. George has some age on him but I want to keep him looking as young as possible.
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #12

I have a 2000 Monaco that had spent its life in Arizona, needless to say it was very chalked. I buffed it with Mcguire's ultimate compound and it was pretty good, then I hit it with 4 coats of a commercial floor wax, Red Max in the US, Zep in Canada, and the result was unreal. It has been 2 1/2 years and it still looks great. Like a new coach. I will probably top it off with a new coat this year but it is so quick and easy that I am not regretting my decision.
sandwip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #13

I have used the Meguiars cleaner wax. Does a good job of removing stubborn tree discoloration drippings. Around here the water oaks will drip a yellow brownish stuff that doesn't wash readily off. Especially visible on white surfaces. The cleaner wax takes it off. Leaves a good waxed surface.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #14

Oh, boy. Don't do it manually. Your arms will either fall off or end up looking like Popeye's. I did our '96 Bounder manually until I read about the Harbor Freight dual action variable speed polisher. $69 before the 20% coupon or wait until it's on sale for $49. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-5...her-62862.html Many people on car detailing forums say it's almost as good as the $279 Bosch polisher - that's what sold me on it. Buy extra foam pads. Now that I own a rig with full body paint, I use it on low speed to apply the wax. Using the buffer it takes much less wax and you can apply it more evenly. Saves a lot of time.

It's still a lot of work holding the polisher up but way better than buffing by hand. One more vote for Mcguires.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote