RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #15

Personally, I would not 'crib' the coach up by more than the thickness of two boards. If needed, I like the suggestion above to ask the CG owner to bring in a load of gravel to level out the sight. If the owner refuses, tell him that you will pay for it. Yeah, it could cost you a couple hundred bucks, but over the course of your two month stay this will be money well spent. How many $$$ have you 'invested' in your coach? Not worth risking damaging your coach. I am assuming that you are kind of locked in to this CG at this point and understand that you would be reluctant to search for another CG.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Naaah, it's not too long.
You are on the right track running a string (laser level would be easier). If you can find out the wheelbase and distance between the jacks, then you can get a little closer, but at least you will have an idea of how much cribbing you will need, plus some more.

My suggestion is that once you have the coach, download the TRUMA App and put in the information for your coach. Then take your coach somewhere as level as possible and level the coach using the jacks to what you want. Some go entirely by a carpenter's level on the floor, some use a laser level on the floor, some use how the fridge door and bathroom doors swing, and some use a little of each. Then set your zero point for both the coach system and Truma. Also, measure the distance from the ground to the jack pad with the jacks up. That will tell you if you have 10 inches of clearance that you will need to add about 8 inches under the jack in addition to the height of the tire to minimize jack extension for added stability. You may also want to compensate for slope and make sure that your blocking for the tires and jacks are level also.
I tried to find "Truma App" but nothing comes up. Is there a different spelling or something for this. Sounds interesting.
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Wife and I are bringing home our first Class A next week from Phoenix AZ to Ky and today we went and looked at our campsite spot for the next several months. We spent time talking to a camper that was in the spot with his Class A and we saw that it was quite un-level and he mentioned his frustration trying to get it level when he arrived. He had blocks under his front jacks as well as under his front tires, they were off the ground.

I'm trying to prepare ahead of time for this because they do not have another spot for us to change to so we will have to deal with it. The wife and I would appreciate anyone willing to take the time to respond and give us some tips on dealing with this. The plan I have so far is to have several 2 x 8's cut 30 inches long to go under the front jacks and tires as well. Also will have the rear wheels chocked.

My thought before setting up is to take a line level and have the wife hold it at the rear of the spot, highest spot, and me hold it at the front to get an idea of how high the front will have to come up. With that ~ measurement have the appropriate amount of 2 x 8's under the front jacks as well as the front tires. Then begin the auto leveling process. Once the auto level happens with the air bags and jacks I thought the final step would be to put blocks under the front tires so they aren't above ground. Does this seem like a proper plan.

I know this is a lengthy post and really appreciate any suggestions. If it matters, we have a Tiffin Allegro bus, 2014, 45 footer.
First - Congrats are in Order - Thinking you will Love your "New" Coach! - - -

Obviously you are where you Want to Be (CG), or we would not have this Question and, as you have said, Moving is not an Option. So let's look at Possible solutions that will work for the Long term.

8" is the issue - on a 45' Coach it's not that bad - 45' X 12" = 540 inches long /8= 1" for every 5.5 ' , really not too Bad. (JMHO)

Next with the Normal DP when you drop the Air - the back will drop at least 4", if not a little more, so lifting the front 4-6 inches is not that out of the normal for many Campsites, and is really not that big a deal.

So IMHO your solution will work fine - couple of Notes here - All the weight will be on the Jacks, which are flat, so the Chaulks are not necessary, actually they are really not helpful, as the airbags are usually on a fulcrum and will cause the coach to move against the Chaulks putting stress on the tires. -

The Campsite I stay in in the summer is out of level by say 16 inches so I carry 6X6's that have been sawn on an Angle to drive the front tires on to keep them from stressing too Much, so find what works and you will be fine. Also a Good idea to have something under your pads if this is for a long period of time.

One thing you need to think about is the distance at the End of your steps - might need a Level Platform there - I carry a 6" folding step to put at the Bottom as a First step - if this is Home for the Winter you might just Build a PT (Pressure Treated) platform that is level at the Base of the steps, then getting in and out will just be Easy, if you leave you could just slide the platform by the Picnic table and leave it for the next resident. -

That's it, Hope this is the sort of info you were after, Best of Luck with the New Coach,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
The Tiffin BUS has the ability to dump the air in the rear or adding air to the front to assist leveling correct ? Then the use of the jacks to complete the job.
Nope. The air dump is all four air bags at once. Some Buses may have the optional Valid air leveling but when the slope is this far out, they are will probably excess slope error.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 AM   #19

https://www.truma.com/int/en/product...truma-app.html

The leveling is under "Tools". The only other part of the app that I use is the one that tells me where the sun will be so I know which way to face if I have a choice.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Nope. The air dump is all four air bags at once. Some Buses may have the optional Valid air leveling but when the slope is this far out, they are will probably excess slope error.
Last weekend I witnessed a 2018 Bus level by dumping the air in the front and raising the rear. The slope was about 8" difference.
Any Bus owners out there to support this ?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Last weekend I witnessed a 2018 Bus level by dumping the air in the front and raising the rear. The slope was about 8" difference.
Any Bus owners out there to support this ?
https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml23574.pdf

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml23034b.pdf

Should help with the info - if he has it.

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #22

All right here goes me making everybody mad again. Laser levels, String???

Dosent the four year old DP have automatic leveling that you can operate manually if need be? My wife is super sensitive to unlevel floors and I can keep her comfortable with my manual level only 99 MA using the indicator lights on the leveler panel.

I would guess your wheel base is about 30 feet +- and your jacks are about 12 or 14 inches long. If the campsite is out more than a foot in 30 feet then you need a board or two.

Even though they can you should not lift the tires off the ground with jacks. If you just touch the rear jacks to the ground with enough force to stabilize the rear of the coach I would be surprised if the front jacks did not level the front just fine.

If your site is more than 12" in thirty feet then a few boards might be necessary. If it is that bad the CGO should level it before you get there.

If you really want to know how bad the site is you can do this.
Take a string, and level. Tie the string around a heavy rock and set it on the ground at the highest point that a jack will rest. with that rock as a focal point you can pass the string over all the jack points with the string level and measure with a metal tape how far to the ground. If it is over a foot to the ground at any of the jack pad locations, bring the required number of boards.

Please post your results when you finally get all set up I am curious about the outcome.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Busskipper thanks for the info. Truly an awesome system
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all of the responses. Being a newbie stinks and I hesitate sometimes asking the questions not knowing exactly what to include in the message and whether it's been asked a bunch. I do try to do a search before asking.

I'm going to go by the site tomorrow and give it more of a look and talk to the owners about having it leveled a bit. Our coach has the automatic leveling system with the air bags and since I haven't picked it up yet, not sure what to expect. In regards to the specific spot, we are extremely limited as to other spots available. We are hoping another campground nearby opens up, but, if not, this spot will be our home for several months.

Will report back for those that are interested. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #25
tcg

Get a LevelMate Pro

It will allow you to see which wheels need to be raised and by how much.

If you have an auto level system you can use that but the LevelMate Pro will show you in in real time how close you are to level while you are pulling in.

It will allow you to get as close to level as you can without ever leaving the driver's seat.

My Class C is no 45 footer but sometimes just driving forward a few feet or inches makes the difference between using 1 or 2 blocks or 4 or 5 or none at all. Not having to get out and check or make calculations makes the 140 bucks well worth it.

https://logicbluetech.com/
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #26

Once stopped and the emergency break applied the auto level system shows you the low points.
I think the OP noted auto air leveling system is on the bus.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Get a LevelMate Pro

It will allow you to see which wheels need to be raised and by how much.

If you have an auto level system you can use that but the LevelMate Pro will show you in in real time how close you are to level while you are pulling in.

It will allow you to get as close to level as you can without ever leaving the driver's seat.

My Class C is no 45 footer but sometimes just driving forward a few feet or inches makes the difference between using 1 or 2 blocks or 4 or 5 or none at all. Not having to get out and check or make calculations makes the 140 bucks well worth it.

https://logicbluetech.com/
The Truma app does the exact same thing, but is about $140 cheaper.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:04 AM   #28
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
The Truma app does the exact same thing, but is about $140 cheaper.
How does that app communicate with the RV?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote