Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #1

Broke Down In Cheyenne WY Need Radiator

Good Morning Fellow RVers,

While heading out on our annual family vacation yesterday just as we crossed north into Wyoming we heard a couple of weird vibration sounds so we pulled into the port of entry. Upon parking we discovered that we were leaking anit-freeze. After waiting for a bit for a tow from Big Al (I highly recommend having roadside service plan) We were towed to the repair shop at Little America. Found out that the fan shroud came loose and smacked the fan (fan is still good) but it ate up the shroud and cracked the bottom of the radiator. Of course this happens on a weekend and trying to find a replacement radiator right now is proving to be difficult. Anyone got any recommendations on a parts supplier who is open on a Sunday somewhere between Denver and Casper WY. We have our toad with us so we're willing to travel to help get the repair shop the part needed to get us back on the road. Thank you all for your help and support.

Fleetwood Bounder 32W Workhorse Chasis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #2

Any chance the radiator can be repaired as a stop gap until you can order one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Radiato...-/123793586136

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

No I think that the crack must be pretty significant and I've noticed that the nice pool of coolant under us is growing. Looks like we'll have to wait till Monday to find the radiator so we'll be hanging out here for another day. All things considered it could be a lot worse. At least being broke down with an RV you have everything you need right here.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuzz4 View Post

While heading out on our annual family vacation yesterday just as we crossed north into Wyoming we heard a couple of weird vibration sounds so we pulled into the port of entry. Upon parking we discovered that we were leaking anit-freeze. After waiting for a bit for a tow from Big Al (I highly recommend having roadside service plan) We were towed to the repair shop at Little America. Found out that the fan shroud came loose and smacked the fan (fan is still good) but it ate up the shroud and cracked the bottom of the radiator. Of course this happens on a weekend and trying to find a replacement radiator right now is proving to be difficult. Anyone got any recommendations on a parts supplier who is open on a Sunday somewhere between Denver and Casper WY. We have our toad with us so we're willing to travel to help get the repair shop the part needed to get us back on the road. Thank you all for your help and support.

I wish you luck in finding an in-stock, available on Sunday, radiator. If you do, consider a lotto ticket or two.

Any chance there is a truck cooling shop in Cheyenne?
Old 06-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #5

Since it looks like an aluminum radiator it might be able to be welded. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find someone to weld aluminum in as large a town as Cheyenne. There are also 250* epoxies that may work to get you trough a short time. Since it looks like it's a side tank radiator you may just be able to crimp off a couple of the tubes that are leaking to get you through. A picture would probably help if you can get one. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuzz4 View Post

JB Weld - just incase -
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #7

I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the crack. Learned a new must have when RVing. A pair of coveralls so I can go crawling around under it and not worry about how dirty they get. We're pretty optimistic that we can get our hands on one tomorrow just hoping to not have to spend too much of a small fortune on this repair. I'm guessing right now we're looking at about 1K for the whole job since the radiator seems to run around 700 based off of what I can find online. We even told the shop that if there is a place that has it and they need us to go pick it up we're more than willing to do so. Good news is we're from Denver so we're not too far from home. There will come a point that if we can't get it repaird by Tuesday that we'll just scrap our vacation, leave the RV here to get it repaired and then come back up and get it. Would really rather avoid doing so though.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #8

yup pair of coveralls or some old clothes you dont care about
Good to hear you are not to far from home makes it easier

greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse radiators have plastic tanks on each side, you said the shroud cracked the bottom of radiator, kinda confused on this.

Is the aluminum portion of the radiator cracked?

Here you go OP

Says that they are in stock.

https://www.superiorcooling.co/workh...-w8003550.html
Old 06-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Here you go OP

Says that they are in stock.

https://www.superiorcooling.co/workh...-w8003550.html
Hey CJ... Way to go the extra mile to help out a fellow traveler! Hat's off to you.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #11

Wow!
Looks like there’s a Northern Colorado warehouse.
Maybe they’ll let you “will-call” tomorrow.

That Lottery Ticket is really lookin’ good ‘bout now.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Hey CJ... Way to go the extra mile to help out a fellow traveler! Hat's off to you.
No problem, I figure its pretty stressful on the road broke down, not to much effort to help another RVer out.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
No problem, I figure its pretty stressful on the road broke down, not to much effort to help another RVer out.

Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #14

Thank you all for the wonderful help and tips. Sorry its been a few days since my last update. We ended up having it towed back home Monday morning to Jeco here in Denver to have the radiator serviced. I wish I had seen the email notifications about the distributor here in CO that has them in stock. I'll pass that along to Jeco because as we were being informed nobody in the country has these radiators and they're on national back order same with the fan shrouds. The good news is that Jeco if needed can fabricate me a radiator (I don't want to know how much that would cost) I'm also hoping that if they can't find a shroud that at the least they could fabricate one of those can't imagine that is nearly as complicated as a radiator . So this years trip is a bust but Hartland RV Park in South Dakota bless them. We kept in touch with them during our entire journey and finally called them when we were retreating home. They went the extra mile for us with our cancellation and even refunded us our deposit so we will definitely be scheduling next years stay with them. I'll keep this thread updated with the findings that I get back from Jeco on where the leak is. I haven't been able to actually see the crack just the mist of coolant spraying from said crack so I"m not sure exactly of its location just yet.

Tags
radiator