Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't think of a better place to break down! Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
We're at the Navy campground on Key West. Space is available, all you need is a military ID, Active, Retired or 100% disabled.
Never been in the Military though my Dad is WW2 (still going strong at 90). Boyd's did come through and found us another spot from the 6th to the 16th so we are good to go, and that gives us an extra day margin for the repairs.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
I don't mean to throw water on your already ruined vacation.....however over the years, I have learned that leaving on a vacation takes all year preparation. Batteries constantly charged, anti freeze effectiveness checked at every oil change with test strips, etc. I hope everything will be a minor fix and you can come down and enjoy our nice weather.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Is Cummins going to cover it Larry? Are they working on it right in your driveway? or did you have it towed to a Cummins dealer?
We had it towed to the shop. I did get an extended warranty when I bought Harvey so I at worst should only be out the $500 deductible. I will talk to the mechanic and call Cummins, but right now my first priority is to get him fixed and get down to the Keys.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been know to say "look at the bright side" (There must be a bright side) in this case.. it happened in your driveway so you won't be without shelter while it's fixed or paying for an expensive hotel.

Now... Page 2: When you get it fixed find out how to keep it fixed (That is prevent it from happening again) Good chance if it's an older RV that the problems are as follows:

Low battery: you did not have it plugged in and the older batteries are getting kind of long in the tooth as it were and need replacement soon.

Solution a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter and an extension cord, Now do not run more than the fridge and lights this way (Well tv is ok) no AC or Water heater Furnace is OK, but not a "Cheap Heat" system (Which is very expensive if you are paying for the kilowatts not to mention it will trip your breaker). I like 12GA extension cords (Sears or K-mart make the best ones, locking outlets).

Problem 2 is the leak.. HOPE for the best (Hose) and if they replace one.. Consider a full "re-hose" job on the cooling system.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I feel that I have done EVERYTHING right. I have a 50 amp hookup and keep it plugged in when it is parked. I even put a heater in the coach and in the basement to keep the temps above freezing. I have checked the capability of the antifreeze (BTW you only need to check it once, unless you add water it doesn't change). I do check the battery water, but now I need to see if the coach batteries are being charged by the inverter when it is plugged in. I never had a starting problem before. I think that the leak was a weird problem with possibly a defective casting caused by our quick drops in temperature that happened at least 1/2 a dozen times this winter.

The only thing that would have helped would have been to start it up a week or so before and let it run for an hour. That way if something does go wrong there would be time to fix it.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Just want you to know that the weather/lifestyle is still great here in Key West.
That is just cruel
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I feel that I have done EVERYTHING right. I have a 50 amp hookup and keep it plugged in when it is parked. I even put a heater in the coach and in the basement to keep the temps above freezing. I have checked the capability of the antifreeze (BTW you only need to check it once, unless you add water it doesn't change). I do check the battery water, but now I need to see if the coach batteries are being charged by the inverter when it is plugged in. I never had a starting problem before. I think that the leak was a weird problem with possibly a defective casting caused by our quick drops in temperature that happened at least 1/2 a dozen times this winter.

The only thing that would have helped would have been to start it up a week or so before and let it run for an hour. That way if something does go wrong there would be time to fix it.
Hope you get it fixed up soon and get on your way. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
keep us informed of the progress, hope your on your way soon
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I feel for you Larry. We were all set to leave Pittsburgh, PA area Jan 8 for Palm Harbor, FL for 3 months. But just before Christmas, the lovely DW developed a pinched nerve in her lower back causing mucho pain down the front of one leg. So after many doctors and pt - have it kinda under control but the trip south was completely cancelled.
On another note: we were going south with another couple who have a 5th wheel trailer. They left first part of Jan and got 3 hours or so south of here into WV and hit a deer. After returning back to Pittsburgh - cost them $5k to repair truck. But they called the other day and said weather was nice in Fla.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post

Glad to know that you do keep the MH plugged in, however the OP sounded like nothing was done until it was time to go. Sorry f I came off wrong. I do check my anti freeze yearly, for SCA levels and the protection level is part of the strip test. It is not a check it once and forget it, Cummins recommends strip tests at every oil change.

If the MH was plugged in to 50 amp why were the batteries low? If not the inverter, then possibly the batteries are no longer holding a charge.

Sorry to hear about the split turbo....not good.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have my sympathy. Our next trip us planned for May and I'm praying for a warm April because we discovered a number of issues that we worked around last summer but I really have to get fixed before this coming summer.
Hope you get going and safe travels
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Larry, nice looking motorhome. Looks like you have a Diesel. If it is it probably has two batteries for starting and it each one has a bad cell you probably won't get it started until batteries are replaced. So first check the cells with a hydrometer. If all cells are good just recharge.

Sometimes when you don't start a diesel for a long time fuel may gone out of the lines or gelled a little. So make sure you always use something like power service when storing.

I have a procedure I do recommended by Cummins for my old ISB that I use when changing fuel filters to bleed the lines.

After you get it started then I am sure you can fine the leak when the system is under pressure.

Do you have a block heater. That would help with cold weather.

Good luck!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Well we made it, finally!

It has been a litany of problems after 2 years of almost flawless operation. Firstly, what broke was the vane controller on the turbo that is water cooled. It seems as though salt or some corroding substance got between the flange and the housing on top of the controller (there is a small gap around the edges) and the pressure and possibly frozen moisture split the top off of the house as cleanly as could be. Fortunately the repair and towing was all covered by the warranty (I usually never get them) and all I had to pay was the $500 deductible. Besides a fussy front propane heater (took 4 or 5 resets to get it to light) we reloaded and headed out Tuesday afternoon.

It seems like Harvey does not like the cold and wet, because once we got him started (the first time), got the steps working again, got the e-brake alarm to cancel and put some heat and miles into him he seemed to be happy. That was until the South Carolina downpour where this small line in the front windshield turned into a vicious crack that migrated from the lower right side straight up to the top. Yeah, I got a warranty for that too. Stopped south of Daytona on Wednesday night and on a wet Thursday morning the water pump decided to stop. Fooled around with that for a few minutes and hit the road. The DW had no shower and she was not happy. Down the road a ways it did start to work again, and a call to Tiffin revealed that high moisture can affect the pump controller, and once it dries out there usually is not a problem again.

Things looked up once we got to Boyd's. On the phone they were awesome in finding us a spot to salvage our vacation, and when we pulled in, it was a better site than the one that we booked! Back it in like a pro (first time, no corrections) had it all set up in 90 minutes (including the dog pound) and we were onto the first beer. Everything worked perfectly, leveling, slides, A/C, satellite, etc. Now the vacation can really begin.