Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Super! Glad you are there, now it is time to enjoy yourselfs! Enjoy the moment.

Have a great day today and from here on.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
It may be a thread hijack for the rest of us to share how we broke down in our own driveway.

For us - we were all ready to go for our annual family camping trip. Our children and their families were meeting us at the coast. They are tent campers, we were bringing stuff for them.

Wife got in the car so she could put it in the garage. I got in the MH to move it out of the driveway and to the street - then we could hit the road to meet the kids. It would not start - no way, no how. What to do on a Friday afternoon?

Solution - grab the tent camping gear, load everything in the minivan and hit the road. Wife thought she was done tent camping! We had a great time in our backpacking tent. Wife remembered why she likes the MH - bathroom and bed.

MH problem - ignition switch had gone bad. Overloaded factory unit replaced with modified, heavier duty model. Discovered we were not the first ones to have problem.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
had it all set up in 90 minutes (including the dog pound) and we were onto the first beer.
90 min to first beer????

On our outings, air escaping from the parking brake blends with the whooosh of the bottle cap being removed.

So glad everything worked out for you. Have a great time in the keys!!
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #46

I know its been a year but your situation is the only one that compares to what we are experiencing currently. The housing on the side of the turbo has a big crack and is spewing coolant out. Did they replace that casting or weld the crack? Did you see what the cost was outside of your warranty? We dont have a warranty.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
What broke was the cover for the vane controller. It is a cast piece and cannot be welded. That cover seals with an o-ring, which leaves a thin gap around the housing. Ours got filled with crud & corrosion and the -5 degree temps caused the moisture to expand and crack the cover. If it had a regular gasket there would not have been any room for that to happen.

Anyway it cost about $1,600 for the tow and repair, and we were $500 out of pocket on the warranty. BTW the vane controller needs to be setup and after our new one was installed I did notice a small improvement in performance.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #48

Well PushedAround it sounds like you definately deserve a frosty beverage.

Might I suggest the "Hogfish Bar" It's just a short walk south of Boyd's. Ya might have to sneak thru the fence though

Have fun!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Well PushedAround it sounds like you definately deserve a frosty beverage.

Might I suggest the "Hogfish Bar" It's just a short walk south of Boyd's. Ya might have to sneak thru the fence though

Have fun!

X2 on Hogfish! Great place. Sit outside on the Marina & have a beer or 3 and a nice piece of fish or a Hogfish sandwich. Hard to beat.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #50

I just love stories with a happy ending

Randy W.

Randy Williamson
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #51

Quote:
What broke was the cover for the vane controller. It is a cast piece and cannot be welded. That cover seals with an o-ring, which leaves a thin gap around the housing. Ours got filled with crud & corrosion and the -5 degree temps caused the moisture to expand and crack the cover. If it had a regular gasket there would not have been any room for that to happen.

Anyway it cost about $1,600 for the tow and repair, and we were $500 out of pocket on the warranty. BTW the vane controller needs to be setup and after our new one was installed I did notice a small improvement in performance.

Is the vane controller that big red thing attached to the turbo? my leak is a crack near the two allen keys at the top of that red thing...... might throw some jb weld on it so I can drive it to the shop.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Broke down in my driveway :-(

Yeah, that sounds like it. Here's a picture of my old one. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431519101.498477.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	94149
Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
X3 on Hogfish. There is (or was) a Mexican place near the entrance that had great Fish Tacos, too.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
ALWAYS stop at Hogfish when we are at Boyd's. The walk there is easy; sometimes coming back is a bit harder. ;-)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #55

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like it. Here's a picture of my old one. Attachment 94149
Yep thats it. Cummins said the part prices anywhere between 600 and 2000 plus Labour. I have to send them the engine serial number for exact price. Thanks for posting the pic.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #56

So yes it was the same part for us. Corroded by all the road spray. Cost us $ 2400.00