RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Broken Coax Cable on OTA Antenna

Have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38PBD. The coax broke completely in two at the base of the Wineguard OTA antenna. Looks like the original cable so am considering replacing the cable from the antenna to the video selector box which is located in the overhead compartment above the right side of the windshield. The distance is less than 2 feet as the crow flies! How hard is this to do? Also, the "Antenna Up" warning light on the dash stays lit all the time. There is a round cylinder attached to the antenna mast that I am guessing is the sensor and it looks real old. Could this be the culprit and if so, is the replacement hard to find. Thanks for the help.
bobriley44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First question. Did the old cable have a connector on it that screwed into your antenna?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, there is a connector on the head of the antenna.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If the cable just pulled out of its connector, the first and easier choice would be to clean all the connections and install a new connector. Any RV repair dealer who installs satellite dishes should be able to do this. I know Camping World installs dishes, if you have one near you.

You will want to make sure they use heat shrink tubing to keep it water tight. Even if you end up installing a new cable you will have still to install new connectors.

FYI, a new cable can fished through, but remember that the original was installed when the coach was being built, and may be strapped down to avoid movement.

I would try the simple fix first.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob....Several years ago I replaced the batwing antenna on my 2005 Diplomat with a King boomerang type. I was surprised to find that when I removed the Winegard batwing base, there was a barrel connector in the roof, connecting the coax running through the roof to the batwing. So before you pull new cable, there should be a connection under the batwing.

Side Note....many are replacing the batwing with the new stationary Razor antenna and love the performance.

The antenna up switch wired to your antenna, typically has a small ball bearing inside that rolls to one end when the antenna is up and turns on the indicator on your dash. If yours is broken, it should be easy to find a new one. Many automobiles use the same type switch to turn the light on in the trunk of car.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Don, thanks for your comments. I had read in other places about the possibility of a connector under the mounting plate. I have made contact with Monaco concerning this issue but unfortunately have not heard back from them yet. Guess I will clean all of the sealing gunk from around the base plate and remove the antenna. When doing this, do I remove the inside crank first? Just thinking ahead. Also I will stop at an auto supply store and see if I can replace that cylinder for the warning light; I was hoping that to be an easy fix.
Again, thanks for the help. Bob
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Belated followup here. There was a coax barrel connector in the roof below the antenna mount. Put in new coax from there to head of antenna and things are good. Also, found a ball bearing tilt switch on ebay for $5 that fit perfectly in the clamp on the antenna mast and wired it in. Now my antenna light on the dashboard is working properly. Thanks for all your help.

Tags
antenna