Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't say broken gears, I said out of place gears. I believe with only one axle pulled the spider gear could have fallen out of place when the carrier started turning form the other axle.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
I didn't say broken gears, I said out of place gears. I believe with only one axle pulled the spider gear could have fallen out of place when the carrier started turning form the other axle.

FunGus,
My last response was not directed at your comment, but to an increadable post from a coward, who when challenged, simply deletes his post.

As to your comment, I find it extremely unlikely that a spider gear can simply fall out of a diff. carrier. The axles spline into the side gears, the spiders are on a cross, between them.

Because axles are removed all of the time, for service, the gears are designed to stay in place.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:49 AM   #17

The spiders are held in w/a pin & usually need to be driven or loosen a lockscrew or clip to remove,I doubt they fell out,they can break if someone is rough on it,gets stuck & spins to much .The what called the pig probably weighs 275 Lbs,you can take the axles out,unbolt the pig & use a trans jack & slide it out & look at it.This is probably a standard type of rearend used in big trucks.I bought a whole different pig unit from a junkyard f/$500.00 exchanged w/a different gear ratio.There is probably # on it or maybe on the spec sheet if you have one stating brand & model #of rear.
sewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:48 AM   #18

Regardless of what caused the differential failure IMO the diff. will have to come out to be inspected. If it is a front loader meaning a row of bolts or nuts holding the diff. housing to the axle housing both axles will have to be out, the driveshaft unhooked and if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the housing it should be removed to drain the fluid before removal.
Remove all the bolts or nuts around the diff. but leave a couple threaded on a few turns and loosen the diff. from the axle housing. Often times the diff. will have sealer on the gasket between the housing and the diff. unit making the unit stick to the housing. I have had to use a jack under the nose of the diff. and apply pressure to the nose of the diff. to break it loose from the housing. Once the diff. is loose you can remove the bolts or nuts and pull the diff. away from the housing and let it down.
I wouldn't try this alone and would certainly recommend a transmission jack to facilitate handling the diff. unit. These units are heavy and difficult to hold securely. It can wreck your day if it gets away from you.
Once the diff.is removed you should be able to see where the failure is and what will have to be done to correct it.
If you aren't totally confident you can handle this job then get someone experienced to do it for you. Perhaps a trustworthy mobile repair service.
I would also recommend having the vehicle parked on a level hard surface, jacked up and properly blocked up before working under it.
Be safe not sorry.
Lynn
Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #19

Well, I hope you have better luck than we did on that. A previous owner seems to have towed it without disconnecting anything; a bolt used as a locator pin in one of the ring nuts broke off, and after we got the coach, the gear whining got louder and louder. We finally had to stop and get help. A small local shop dropped the differential and found at least one broken gear tooth.

For only! $4500 we got a re-man differential installed. After a year and a half, it's still fine.

This year we did need a tow for a different issue, and the tow operator took out one axle and put on a plastic cover to hold the gear oil, and towed it just fine. I thought he would drop the drive shaft, but he didn't have to crawl under to take out the axle, making it easier for everyone.

Anyway good luck with it all..............

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Well Tom -- that sounds like a pretty fair deal being on the road. Me ? I would insist on a Trailer Tow to any shop if I need it.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
FunGus,
My last response was not directed at your comment, but to an increadable post from a coward, who when challenged, simply deletes his post.

As to your comment, I find it extremely unlikely that a spider gear can simply fall out of a diff. carrier. The axles spline into the side gears, the spiders are on a cross, between them.

Because axles are removed all of the time, for service, the gears are designed to stay in place.
You are correct, I meant the side gears. However, I do believe that the axle is the only thing that holds them in place, and without it they could slip out of the correct position.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #22

A couple years ago I had a oil leak from a pressed on axle tube and worried I needed to replace the transaxle. Took hours and hours online but I did finally find one for $1400. Used. Plus $400 shipping and $200 extras. Labor I would have found out in the countryside (since I could drive) for $30-$40 an hour. Estimated 10 hours. So, $2400.

In my case, Red RTV sealed the leak enough that I've not had to replace the transaxle.

Hope you have good luck with yours!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #23

I'm with twinboat on the differential gears. Anyone that has removed a differential set knows the full set of four gears come out or goes in as a meshed together unit. One gear can't be removed or inserted by itself.