Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Question BRRRRR...

Hi All,
DW, our two cats and I are heading out on our first trip to Florida in our 2006 35' Georgetown. We are leaving from Ontario next Wednesday morning. We hope to get as far as Dayton Ohio or at least close to it. We will most likely catch some sleep at a Flying J or Wal-mart. My question is, the long range forecast shows the lows to be 18-20f and the highs around 27. Will the propane furnace be able to keep the chill away overnight in these temps? Or would I be better to wait until the cold snap breaks before beginning the journey?
Thanks in advance.
Steve
Buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
go here National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report and see what the forecast is at the different places you'll go thru...

If your heater is working it should do the job....
put some anti freeze in your holding tanks, and keep the fresh water dripping and the cabinet doors open...

maybe put a 100 or 200 watt lite bulb in the basement ?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
At 18 to 20 F the furnace/furnaces will be on and off on a regular basis and you will be as warm as the blankets that cover you will allow. With the day time temps at 27 you wll probably be lucky to keep your feet warm as the engines heater is not capable of keeping the whole coach warm!
Having said that, if all else fails you could rent a motel room at night until you get further south and grin an bear it while driving during the day! The end result will be a bit warmer when you get there than it is in Ontario, maybe! Depends on how far south you go in Florida!
As I recall you Canadians take pride in their ability to enjoy the winter weather and have long ago learned to enjoy what it brings. So, Enjoy Fly'n J's and Wal-Marts at their best in January!
Enjoy Florida when you get there and my reccomendation is to Enjoy it in South Florida!
That's where I am heading in a couple of weeks and I will leave the MH, home in it's winter quarters. Cars heater works better!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

get dw to keep you warm.have a safe trip eh!
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

That part of my Canadian pride left when I turned 50...several... well actually...numerous years ago. I'm leaving it winterized so I'm not worried about anything freezing, other than me and the Missus.
I'm sure by day two I should have escaped most of the deep freeze and will be driving with my arm out the window.

thanks all
Buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckola View Post
That part of my Canadian pride left when I turned 50...several... well actually...numerous years ago. I'm leaving it winterized so I'm not worried about anything freezing, other than me and the Missus.
I'm sure by day two I should have escaped most of the deep freeze and will be driving with my arm out the window. thanks all
The adventure is in the journey, enjoy your travels, sounds like a fun trip.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Both of our units throw considerable heat. I have 210 or so thermostats in them though.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckola View Post
I'm sure by day two I should have escaped most of the deep freeze and will be driving with my arm out the window.

thanks all
Hmmm, are you taking your Snowmobile Suit with you this year?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a couple of threads here someplace where the owners hung a blanket behind the front seats to keep the dash heat up around them. You may want to consider something like that while driving the first day or so.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Actually, by mid-next week, lows in central OH will be in the single digits - per tonight's local weather forecast. Since you're winterized, you'll be ok. Your furnace will cycle a lot though. Keep the slides in to reduce the sq ft you'll be heating & keep as many blinds closed as possible to keep the heat from transferring through the glass. The cats will keep you feet warm if ya let 'em on the bed.

Safe travels & stay warm!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #11

Its looks like you plan on boondocking.Will your house batteries run your furnace blowers all night? If not you'll have to run generator to charge them
Gormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #12

When facing a similar situation, I purchased a Lil Buddy catalytic heater. Put the bottle in a convenient basement compartment and snaked the hose up into the house.

Then, several times I was parked far enough from anyone that I could run the genset and, (with the help of the dash heater while driving), since the main section of the RV was nice and warm already, it didn't take long for 3 electric heaters to get the whole thing livable. Didn't really need the Lil Buddy much. Except when it got down to the single digits. I did use the furnace occasionally, but only setting it at 55°F at night. They are not very efficient.

Another thing I've done is run the electric blanket on a small inverter connected to the house batteries. They do an excellent job keeping you warm at night, and the house batteries are powerful enough that there's no worries there, as long as it's a small inverter.

But, after days of that, and then getting far enough south so it wasn't needed, was very enjoyable.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the electric blanket. My electric blanket is only 180 watts on high. Works great on low overnite and sure does feel good climbing into a warm bed. My DW has a warm heart but cold feet.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #14

I will be following you on Sunday or Monday. I run the furnace nonstop from home probably into Georgia, the second day. It keeps the coach nice and cozy the whole time.