Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #29

Another campground just south of Winchester VA , called "North Fork" also open all year as is a KOA down I81 a bit further Looks like there are many options. Do you have Allstays, or RVparky apps? They really help. I would fill up with propane and gas before you get parked but I figured you would do that anyway, I always travel on the top half of my tanks.

Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #30

Or you could backtrack to i80 and head west this storm is going up the coast and dumping a lot of snow it looks like it will be much lighter in the Midwest. I wouldn't want to get snowed into a campground it could take several days to get out of. Spend a day or two slowly working your way south and learning about all of your motorhomes systems and see some sights on the way.

Keep safe
If you feel uncomfortable with the road conditions park it until it gets better.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #31

It looks like mother nature is messing with your vacation plans. You really don't want to be driving in the southern states when a storm like this hits as they are really not ready for it. That being said, if you stay on the interstates and are careful, you are in better shape than driving a car through this. Getting fuel could become an issue. I would have one of my storage bays full of 5 gallon gas cans and a huge warm blanket on the bed heheh.

I would also be asking my wife if she didn't mind driving a few hours during the day and trying to power through all the way but that would just be me. Stopping at a campground is a great idea if you have enough time budgeted in your vacation for that.

In moderate cold, 2 golf cart 6v batteries should be sufficient to get through a night with the heater running. Below zero temperatures and 2 heater fans could very well toast the batteries.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Might have been a better idea to stay in a campground with hookups. Parking lot camping is tough when the temp is "0". Good Luck......south is not much better for the next few days.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
Might have been a better idea to stay in a campground with hookups. Parking lot camping is tough when the temp is "0". Good Luck......south is not much better for the next few days.
If they can get south far enough fast enough it wouldn't be that cold there and it usually doesn't stay cold that long down south.

Alan
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #34

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc4.html
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #35

We decided we'd rather drive way out of our way than chance getting snowed in for days or risk driving on unsafe roads. So we are heading west to Columbus OH then south. We've seen enough snow in MA this winter that we'd rather spend the extra fuel $s than look at anymore white stuff. Just hope the campground in GA is plowed out before we arrive! Fortunately for us we're now caravanning with some rvers who seem to have it better figured out than us.

Again, I don't have access to current weather maps. Does this look like a viable plan??
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #36

Other issue: (because it's always something). We were winterized but filled water tank before we left. For the three days before we left we had the gas heat on 55. Last night when we stopped we figured as long as the cabin was warm we'd be okay with water. Turned on pump, pink stuff ran for about a minute ,then nothing. Did we assume incorrectly?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #37

If you can get anywhere west of Pittsburgh, you should be free of the storm. Columbus, OH would be OK. Then I would look for a campground there and keep a watch on the weather south. Be sure your fuel tank is close to full. Buy some electric heaters somewhere. A lot of places around here in western PA have sold out of heaters, but you may find some somewhere.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #38

Kevin,

What kind of coach do you have, and do you have an owners manual? FWIW - you can use gallon jugs of water to drink, wash, and flush toilets. Then dump a little RV antifreeze in your fixture drains to mix with the water you used to prevent your black and gray tank valves from freezing.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #39

4Tfamily, you need to spend some quality time LEARNING HOW YOUR COACH WORKS! I am amazed that anyone would set out on a trip - especially in this brutal winter weather - and not know anything about the vehicle they are driving and living in.

A motor home is a very complex piece of equipment. Knowing how all the systems work is absolutely critical for your very survival in this weather! PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and get out the owners manual and start reading. If you don't have one, a Google search will direct you to where you could download a copy.

On another subject...We have run both furnaces in our coach overnight on just the batteries...many times...in cold temps. If your batteries went dead in just a few hours there is either something else drawing them down or they were not fully charged.

If you are going to end up in Columbus, the Alton RV Park is a nice place to stay. We have stayed there many times. Their phone is 614-878-9127. Web site is www.altonrvpark.com. They are west of Columbus a few miles on US 40, west of I-270 and south of I-70, about a half mile west of Alton-Darby Creek Road.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #40
bjo

I live in Georgia and don't come here the governer is telling folks to stay off the road he also is calling our state Catastrophic Icy roads snow it's just going to get worse
STAY SAFE
WE ARE just staying home and keeping our fire going next weather get's like this before hand I'm headed to Florida
BJO
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #41

Mid Atlantic Campers
Rain snow line is somewhere on the southern DelMar peninsula and will not start here till late tonight so you could have made it here to Ocean City Maryland today and been below the snow line. Many places to stay in OC also staying close to the coast would be warmer if boondocking. Sorry I just saw you thread!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
4Tfamily, you need to spend some quality time LEARNING HOW YOUR COACH WORKS! I am amazed that anyone would set out on a trip - especially in this brutal winter weather - and not know anything about the vehicle they are driving and living in. A motor home is a very complex piece of equipment. Knowing how all the systems work is absolutely critical for your very survival in this weather! PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and get out the owners manual and start reading. If you don't have one, a Google search will direct you to where you could download a copy. On another subject...We have run both furnaces in our coach overnight on just the batteries...many times...in cold temps. If your batteries went dead in just a few hours there is either something else drawing them down or they were not fully charged. If you are going to end up in Columbus, the Alton RV Park is a nice place to stay. We have stayed there many times. Their phone is 614-878-9127. Web site is www.altonrvpark.com. They are a few miles west of Columbus on US 40.
We took a cross country trip in this coach last year (MA to CA and back) so it's not entirely new or foreign to us. What IS new is this brutal weather. There are issues here that we thought we were sure about but are now questioning whether they are normal or weather related. By "newbies" I just meant I wouldn't say we're seasoned. This is also the second rv we've owned, after renting twice. There's a lot to learn and even harder to remember it all. I like to learn by doing , so :P LOL! Anyway, don't you know the crazy trips end up being the most memorable? Thanks for your concern to the point of anger, but we're enjoying the adventure and promise to stay safe, hopefully warm, though probably Unshowered for a few days!!
PS it also makes it hard to learn when so many people have completely different answers to the same questions. Ever notice that?!