Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 12:37 AM   #1

Bubbling on Slide

These starting popping up over the last few months. Not sure what is causing them. I was told by Guaranty RV body shop in Coburg Oregon that i would have to replace the entire sheet. That will have to be a project for a later time, but for right now i needs to find a bandaid for it. I was thinking of just sanding the bubbles down to the aluminum then give those spots a little primer for now. Wondering is anyone has had to deal with this issue and what they did to stop it for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180604_200209.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	205768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180604_200214.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	205769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180604_200221.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	205770  
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Make, model, and year of your motorhome would be helpful.

Why do you think your coach is built with aluminum sides? Most likely it is gel coat fiberglass over luan. There were problems with some of this material in the early 2000s and there is really nothing that can be done other than replacement. However, I don't know if that is what you are seeing.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

That looks to me like it a paint problem.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Did the 99 Safari have aluminum sides? Those bubbles sure look like oxidation of aluminum under the paint. A fiberglass side would delaminate and look wavy rather than bubbly.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
looks more like oxidation of steel (rust). First pic appears to have a brown material exposed, looking exactly like rust under paint.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Did the 99 Safari have aluminum sides? Those bubbles sure look like oxidation of aluminum under the paint. A fiberglass side would delaminate and look wavy rather than bubbly.
The Safari had aluminum only on the slide out to reduce weight. I am just looking for a band aid for now until i have the time to replace the entire sheet.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #7

Agree that is oxidation of aluminum beneath the paint. For a temp solution, you can sand away the paint down to the aluminum skin to expose the oxidation. Sand that area smooth and use a 2-part epoxy primer to cover the area, and try to spot match/blend the top color. Given the size of the problem area, you might use a cheap air-brush for the application of the primer and top coat. Harbor Freight has them.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Check your electrical grounds and also make sure you don't have something electrical with the polarity reversed. That will cause exactly what you have going on there, and in other aluminum parts that you can't see.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hyatt View Post
looks more like oxidation of steel (rust). First pic appears to have a brown material exposed, looking exactly like rust under paint.

I agree with Bob. I think you need to debris the spot and see exactly what your base material is, be it steel or aluminum. If nothing else, rub a magnet over the spot and see what sticks or falls off.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
The Safari had aluminum only on the slide out to reduce weight. I am just looking for a band aid for now until i have the time to replace the entire sheet.

I had it on my 2002 Safari. It didn't show up until the coach was maybe 8 years old and I don't believe I had quite as much as you have. I researched at the time and decided the remedy was cost prohibitive. I sold the coach at 13 years & told the new buyer everything I knew about the issue & it didn't bother him enough to not purchase the coach. If I remember correct the explanation I received from Monaco was they were well aware. It was definitely an issue with aluminum skin coaches & there was no easy fix.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I had it on my 2002 Safari. It didn't show up until the coach was maybe 8 years old and I don't believe I had quite as much as you have. I researched at the time and decided the remedy was cost prohibitive. I sold the coach at 13 years & told the new buyer everything I knew about the issue & it didn't bother him enough to not purchase the coach. If I remember correct the explanation I received from Monaco was they were well aware. It was definitely an issue with aluminum skin coaches & there was no easy fix.
I am not looking at replacing the side, eventually, won't be to bad for me to do it. I am not in a position to sell this thing. Right now i just wanna patch it up.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Agree that is oxidation of aluminum beneath the paint. For a temp solution, you can sand away the paint down to the aluminum skin to expose the oxidation. Sand that area smooth and use a 2-part epoxy primer to cover the area, and try to spot match/blend the top color. Given the size of the problem area, you might use a cheap air-brush for the application of the primer and top coat. Harbor Freight has them.
I would do this for a temporary fix. It may stop it from spreading, and if so you may just want to leave it as is if the color matches ok.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

There's a good chance you have moisture behind the aluminum skin so it's "rusting" under the paint. Doesn't take much of a leak. If you were to sand off these bubbles you end up with holes in the skin which is why the service center says the skin needs to be replaced.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide