Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Bugs on Front of MH

Took an extensive trip this summer and fall and didn't always have time to clean the bugs off the front. When I got serious several weeks ago, I could get the bugs off but there was a residue that was left. It seems no amout of scrubbing helps even with bug removal products.

The front of the coach (Travel Supreme) is coverered with a thin film--I don't know the manufacturer. I am at a loss other than buffing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Use a drier sheet and then wash off with car wash soap, makes washing bugs a snap. What I do is hose down the front with water and then take the drier sheet and wash them off, then follow with the car wash soap works great. Jim
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Do you have the DiamondShield protective film on the front of your coach, or just the paint finish?
chuckb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Bugs

I have some kind of shield--Diamond Shield or 3M. I am hesitant to buff lightly but that looks like what it is going to take.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcphil_98 View Post
I have some kind of shield--Diamond Shield or 3M. I am hesitant to buff lightly but that looks like what it is going to take.
I use a product called Slam that works well also wd40 works I have the 3M and dont see any marks from bugs at all?
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #6

I have Diamond Shield and use Product called Awesome dilute it to 1-5 concentration, spray and rub with micro fiber cloth.
Boots13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #7

I've tried to get in the habit of putting a coat of wax on the front before heading out anywhere. When I get home the hose will usually take bugs right off.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Owning a Hog and, needless to say, experiencing a great number of the pesky critters on the front of a bike with an expensive paint job, I'd only offer the advice Harley gives us...

Bugs are chemically bad news for paint jobs when allowed to remain over time...I'm told their remains become like acid on the finish; the longer they remain, the more likely the paint damage. Lesson learned is keep it cleaned routinely.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
I've tried to get in the habit of putting a coat of wax on the front before heading out anywhere. When I get home the hose will usually take bugs right off.
interesting because i have never found wax to help one little bit plus 3M is a plastic cover over the paint.I have never ever seen a case of bugs on any paint under any conditions where simply spraying water on takes them off
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #10

50% peroxide, 50% water. spray on, let sit for 3-5 minutes, soapy rag and water.
Keith4001r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #11

You didn't mention where your travels took you but, if you were in the south and encountered "love bugs" they needed to be cleaned off daily because their blood is acidic and will damage both diamond shield and 3M not to mention your paint.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use Rejex and you will find the bugs come off a lot easier. They also make a cleaner to use before applying so the Rejex will last longer.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcphil_98 View Post
Friends tried that on their Dutch Star, it not only didn't work, it scratched the shield material.

We don't have the shield on ours, I use Dry Wash N Guard and water won't even stick. I use it on the glass too, rain just beads up and blows off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
HHg

Bug stain removal

On the Tiffin Tech Library site, they recommend isopropyl alcohol for removing bug stains off the Diamond Shield coating (the higher the percentage the better-ie....71% or 91%)

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote