Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bulk DEF fill from pump

The Hess station I go to has some kind of safety feature that prevents DEF from being pumped unless the pump nozzle is inserted into a tank.

My DEF tank won't fill from the pump because the door frame gets in the way of the pump nozzle going far enough into the receptacle.

I have tried the alternative of pumping into a separate container and then putting that in the tank but it won't work either due to that "safety feature."

Has anyone found a way to bypass or defeat the safety feature to pump into a container.

In case anyone is wondering I have yellow container normally for diesel fuel that has never been used for anything and will only be used for DEF.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

There are safeties built into some.
" In some cases nozzles include a magnetic lock system which correspond with magnets in an inlet adaptor in the filler neck of the vehicle's DEF tank, permitting flow when contact is made. The inlet adaptor dimensions and design are defined in ISO 22241. This is a safety feature which prevents DEF from being dispensed into the diesel tank. "
I think I remember a conversation that there is a collar you can buy at ? Flying J ? and others I would think.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Here's one place on the internet that sells the magnet to activate the bulk DEF nozzle.

OPW 21Gu Mis-Filling Prevention Device - MFPD
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #4

The posted link appears to be for a device to prevent pumping, not a "collar" that allows it.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The posted link appears to be for a device to prevent pumping, not a "collar" that allows it.
Upon reading, the above is not what I meant.

What I meant to say was that it's not clear if it is intended to go in the filler neck to prevent pumping diesel, or slip around the nozzle to allow pumping DEF.

Maybe it can do both.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers

I can see where the ‘device’ name is confusing, here’s the description for it:

A fixed magnetic field within the Mis-Filling Prevention Device actuates a magnetic interface in the spout of the 21Gu nozzle to allow the flow of DEF. Without the Mis-Filling Prevention Device, the DEF nozzle will not flow.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
what i do is have the nozzle touch the yellow container and it will fill, that is how I do it...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
what i do is have the nozzle touch the yellow container and it will fill, that is how I do it...Chuck
I assume that the "yellow container" is your DEF tank. It probably has the magnet built in, just like mine.

My problem is that my DEF tank can't normally be reached by the hoses on the bulk pumps. Therefore, I have to fill from another container because I don't like paying $5 or $6 per gallon.

I have not encountered one of the MFPD nozzles yet, but would like to be prepaired when I do.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I assume that the "yellow container" is your DEF tank. It probably has the magnet built in, just like mine.

My problem is that my DEF tank can't normally be reached by the hoses on the bulk pumps. Therefore, I have to fill from another container because I don't like paying $5 or $6 per gallon.

I have not encountered one of the MFPD nozzles yet, but would like to be prepaired when I do.
I can reach the DEF tank but it is located on the right rear..the DEF tank and the pumps are on the left side
So I use a 2 1/2 gal red gas can,fill it and then pour the DEF into the tank using it...I will put the nozzle of the def on the rim of the red gas can to fill red can...Chuck
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

Chuchster, I don't see where touching the plastic can is going to do anything unless you have a magnet in the can.

I think that you are missing something here. The problem only exists if you happen to run into one of the MFPD nozzles. I have not had any problems yet because all of the DEF dispensers I've encountered so far DON'T have the MFPD nozzle. I'm just trying to be ready for the time when I do encounter one of the MFPD nozzles.

If I could reach my DEF tank, it wouldn't matter which nozzle is available because my DEF tank has the MFDP magnet (all FL tanks that I've seen do). Unfortunately, my tank is on the right side, like yours, so I have to fill from a plastic can.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Chuchster, I don't see where touching the plastic can is going to do anything unless you have a magnet in the can.

I think that you are missing something here. The problem only exists if you happen to run into one of the MFPD nozzles. I have not had any problems yet because all of the DEF dispensers I've encountered so far DON'T have the MFPD nozzle. I'm just trying to be ready for the time when I do encounter one of the MFPD nozzles.

If I could reach my DEF tank, it wouldn't matter which nozzle is available because my DEF tank has the MFDP magnet (all FL tanks that I've seen do). Unfortunately, my tank is on the right side, like yours, so I have to fill from a plastic can.
This is the same problem I have, although I enough go to the DEF pump in opposite direction if I could get the nozzle into the tank.

Where do you get bulk DEF that does not have the MFPD nozzle?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
This is the same problem I have, although I enough go to the DEF pump in opposite direction if I could get the nozzle into the tank.

Where do you get bulk DEF that does not have the MFPD nozzle?
Have been getting it at Pilot and or Flying J
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
Have been getting it at Pilot and or Flying J
Same here. No problems yet. Just trying to be ready when and if.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My DEF tank is also located on the right side and the DEF pump is located on the left side at Pilot and Flying J's. I carry a orange road cone in my unit which aids me in entering the pump area from the opposite direction. I put the road cone behind a truck that is presently filling in the lane that does not have a line of trucks behind it waiting to fuel. This keeps other trucks from lining up in the lane that I want to use. When the truck leaves, I pull in the lane, fill the DEF tank, retrieve my cone and leave. Have never had a problem.