Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Bunkhouse Class A Pusher

I am an owner of a 2006 Georgie boy pursuit. I am looking to upgrade in the next year or two.

Right now I am in process of going through all the manufacturers. I'm attempting to find a rear engine diesel pusher which meets my wife's and my needs, er, wants.

I'm hoping to enlist your help to help me find all the candidates.

So far my two major candidates are the Thor Palazzo 33.3 or the Fleetwood Excursion 35E.

What do these two motorhomes have which are important to me? They both have a regular queen bed and a drop-down queen bed in the drivers area. They also have dual bunks. In addition, they are sub 40 feet and they have a level of trim which is more like an every day interior then it is a luxury interior.

This motorhome will be used for traveling and camping trips up to two weeks. It will not be a full-time live-in. It will also be shared with our kids and grandkids, so it has to have the ability to be cleaned easily-meaning limited fancy carpet and tile.

If you have experience with either of these models, please let me know. And if you have other candidates which meet these needs, please share.
dreyno16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Navigator XE also has the 35E floorplan. I've read that the Excursion is being discontinued.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

I had a 2014 Excursion 35C. No bunks, but does have the drop down bed. Based on what I've seen, it's a superior mechanism to the Palazzo. I really liked Fleetwoods choice of appliances and mechanical equipment. Other than that, i think the coaches are very similar and if I were you I'd make a decision based on which floor plan appeals to you.

What I did not like about my excursion were things like restricted access to important systems like the generator. The batteries were very difficult to access to check and add water. Very little easy access to the engine. I can't speak for the Palazzo on these features.

I know you said you were looking for a sub 40 coach, but I would suggest you look up a step or two. We ended up with a Discover 40G and the differences are dramatic. No overhead bunk, but a reall nice bunkhouse floor plan. And when the slides are out the living space is enormous. It's still a rear radiator chassis, but there is much better access to the engine. The generator is on slides, so you have great access there. Even the batteries are on slides to make checking and adding water a snap. Plus the ride is dramatically better than the Excursion and much quieter on the road. I've driven the 35' Excursion and now the 40' Discovery and in my mind the Disovery is just as easy to drive and maneuver. Bigger engine, more HP, more torque (and a bit less gas mileage 7-8 vs 9-10 in the Discovery.

It's usually jus my wife, daughter and I on trips, but dometimes we bring one of my daughters friends. Sometimes my older son and his girlfriend. Plenty of room for all (for short durations)

But if the Discovery is too much for you, you might try looking at higher end gas class As as opposed to the DP Thor and Fleetwood entry models. You can get more features in a comparable gasser than a DP. Since you have a 2-year timeframe you have plenty of time to look.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Mike, thanks for the information. I have added it to my list! (That was easy)

Dave
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

There's a thread here somewhere, I think the Excursion is being rebranded as a Pace Arrow for 2017. Same FP I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Holiday Rambler Navigator XE also has the 35E floorplan. I've read that the Excursion is being discontinued.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 05-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Jondrew: Appreciate the information.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
What is funny to me is that for my preference, manufacturer normally offer a generous streetside slide and a very limited curbside slide. This is not unlike my GB and it accommodates a mid-side entry door (which provides for the second bed). However, it does seem the curbside could be larger without an outlandish increase in price. I mean the mechanicals are already there.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Forza/Solei 34, 36, 38
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

I bet you would be pleased with the Excursion 35E or a 2017 Pace Arrow same floor plan (not a Pace Arrow LXE) Especially if you included the front drop down Queen. The sleeping capacity is great. I especially like the mid-door as opposed to a front corner door. The chassis/ engine is a good combination. You would probably be looking at something in the neighborhood of 170K as a normal deal.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

My wife and I just went through this very thing. We were looking for a Class A DP Bunkhouse. After looking at just about every one of them we went with a Ventana LE 4040. The floorplan works very well. We found that many of the bunk houses were of either poor build finish/quality or they were so high end that I wouldn't actually want to be in it much less let my my kid in it.

We were looking for a coach that was comfy for us, had great fit and finish, but one that my child could track mud into without us getting in a tizzy. To us the VLDP 4040 was the perfect combination.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
In the Tiffin line, the Allegro RED 38QBA and the Phaeton 40QKH both have bunk beds. Neither one has a drop down bed over the driver's area since the entry door is at the front. The do have a large sleeper couch in the living area.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The Ventana is a REALLY nice coach. Even if I could swing the price, it does not have the extra queen.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyno16 View Post
The Ventana is a REALLY nice coach. Even if I could swing the price, it does not have the extra queen.
the LE is cheaper, and who cares about a second queen when it has a KING in the back :-D Though it has a queen blowup for the front convertible.

pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

My wife and I have owned our Discovery 40G for just over a year. We bought it to take on a 2 week trip to Yellowstone. We ended up using it far more than that. All told, we put about 12,000 miles on it and slept about 45 nights in it. The 40G is a good floorplan which is proven by the number of times it has been replicated by other manufacturers. Our biggest complaint is the single bath is a bit of a log jam for our family. We have 3 girls. They aren't fast in the bathroom. If you're willing to consider a 40' model, take a look at the Coachmen Sportscoach 407FW. I believe they started making it in 2016. It's an adaptation of the 40G, only with 1.5 baths. Another great option is their 404RB, I believe, which has a very unique salon bunk. Good luck!
rxoneman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a