Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Buy a preowned Newmar or a preowned Foretravel?

This is my first post. Hope i stay within all the accepted etiquette.
Simply, I am torn between a well maintained 1999 Dutch Star (Spartan Chassis I believe) and an equally well maintained 1996 Foretravel U295. Prices are similar (between $25K and $31K). Price, mileage, and degree of maintenance and service between the two being equal, which coach would you choose and why?
I have not done any RV-ing since the early 90’s in a 30’ class C something something. I’d like to think if I have a nice class A I would be using it frequently to get out of the Phoenix heat in the summer....in addition to my at least twice yearly trips to do doctoring in Houston. I’m a pretty handy DIY automotive guy and would not be scared of changing out, say, air bags for example. I understand diesels well (been driving and maintaining Mercedes diesels since 1978).
Please guide me, oh wise ones.
Thank you.
azbob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #2

Foretravel is higher on the ladder than Newmar but both are very good brands. Most important is which floorplan do you like best and which unit has had the best care. Welcome and good luck!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I am not wise.

We have enjoyed our non-slide coach for many years.

I would likely pick the Foretravel based on their reputation for quality.

The Dutch Star will likely have more new features like slides and the newer ISC Cummins engine along with more recent decor.

So, your decision is not easy.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The Foretravel is an up scale RV compared to a DS, which is a very nice coach. If you are buying from a dealer, ask them the differences between the two coaches. If he/she is any good, they can point out what they are.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #5

Fact check my memory. But that era U295 should have the mechanical 8.3 cummins. And it's a runner... KISS on smog and other electronic engine 'stuff'. The chassis and body construction of the U295 should be superior to the 99 Dutch Star. And Foretravel usually were known for smaller size galleys, and larger size holding tanks.

99 era Dutch Stars were both slide (1?) and non slide. And I thought they were on Freightliner chassis in that year(?). A bit lower HP and frankly can't remember if the were 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins. I think Newmar had a bit more modern interior design then Foretravel, and that would be comparing both in 1999 trim, even more so going back to 96 Foretravel interiors.

I believe the wood working of the U295 would be a bit better then the Newmar, but Newmar had good cabinets too... I also seem to remember the Dutch Star had smaller holding tanks.

When buying used, condition and maintenance would be a main decider between the coaches. While the U295 probably has more power, it is probably several thousand pounds heavier, so power to weight ratio could be similar. If the U295, most likely non slide(?) is enough space for you, it would all things being equal be a more solid coach, and easier to keep cool in hot desert visits. If the Dutch Star is the one slide coach, well, it gives you more living space in the front.

Foretravel's were known for having Retarder assisted braking, which would IMO be superior then Exhaust Braking Assist. (IF the 96 U295 had a retarder...).

Some thoughts, and mostly from memory back around 2009-2010 when I researched coaches... So my apologies to any Newmar or Foretravel owner's if I got some of the info wrong, and not knocking either coach. They were built to different price points at the years they were made. And both coaches, if in good condition and maintenance, should be good...

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

I am biased, but think the Foretravel will have bigger tanks, and a 10 k diesel genset, 3 stage retarder, two 8d house batteries, and a 2500 watt inverter but no slide. My first Foretravel was a 97 U295, looked at many coaches, but found the Foretravel was better than most in quality.
On my 4th Foretravel now.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Foretravel was a higher end coach when new, hence the disparity in price/age between the two. With that said, only you can decide which coach better fits your needs, be that floorplan, big motor or amenities.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

A key thing to watch for in a Foretravel is rust issues on the lower frame at the front and rear bulkheads. The lower frame work is encapsulated with fiberglass so you cannot see it. Have it inspected by one very knowledgable of the bulkhead rust issues. Foretravel is a very nice coach otherwise and highly regarded among it's owners. Foretravel has an outstanding Owners Forum who can provide valuable insight.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #9

What's your cash reserve? Could you pay the bills for several months if you lost your job? How would MH payments affect that cash reserve? If you were laid off and your employer did not recover and you had to take a lower paying job, could you still cover everything? We are in uncharted territory now. No one alive has been through a worldwide pandemic like what we have now. We have to be optimistic but we also have to be realistic. Only you know the answers to these questions.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

Foretravels were and are exceptional coaches. The Dutch Star would have to substantially nicer to ignore the FT.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #11

Foretravel or Newmar

First let me say I am a Newmar owner and have had great service when needed from the newmar service centers around the country Freedom RV in TUcson being one of them
With older coaches you may want to consider that with the Foretravel factory for service is much closer than Newmar’s Indiana Nappanee location!
Andyweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
You didn't mention the model number, during that year there was both the Freightliner chassis and the Spartan. I believe I had the 3862 and it was on the Spartan chassis (memory fails me). It drove great and we enjoyed it.
It was a great MH and I sold it after 18 months for what I paid for it (bought a newer 2003 Dutch Star at a price I couldn't refuse - had two MHs for a while!).
The only problem I had was electrical transfer switch which was a known issue (almost caught fire). Make sure it is a newer model/replacement switch. This happened just as a couple was coming to look at it, needless to say no sale with smoke coming out of the electrical compartment.
I had it replaced for about $150 total - this was not a problem confined to Newmar but to all RVs with that model/year transfer switch.

Dutch Star brochure is linked below.

HTH
Chris

https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...sel-pusher.pdf
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Foretravel is higher on the ladder than Newmar but both are very good brands. Most important is which floorplan do you like best and which unit has had the best care. Welcome and good luck!
I completely agree!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #14

That Foretravel was a $300,000 motorhome in 1999. Today it’d be $600,000 with a slide and a few more bells and whistles. In 1999 someone considering a Foretravel would have probably looked at Prevost or Newell. Newmar would be a notch below. As the previous poster said, make sure the bulkheads are solid. Visit the foretravel forum for an encyclopedia worth of information.
goldbehen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, travel