Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Buy American"...made in India ???

Is it true that the Dana S130 differential is made in India ?

This is exactly the type of outsourcing that our country needs to recapture.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
Is it true that the Dana S130 differential is made in India ?

This is exactly the type of outsourcing that our country needs to recapture.
Quite agree. We need to support our industries that still manufacture in North America. Most of the products in walmart seem to be made in China. Yes theYmight be a little cheaper but how long do they last. I came to the conclusion many years ago that I can't afford to buy cheap. Buy the best you can afford. It will last.
JMHO
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #3

I saw videos a few years ago,should be on youtube somewhere, of India manufacturing steel products , think of hot metal with flip flops.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Quite agree. We need to support our industries that still manufacture in North America. Most of the products in walmart seem to be made in China. Yes theYmight be a little cheaper but how long do they last. I came to the conclusion many years ago that I can't afford to buy cheap. Buy the best you can afford. It will last.
JMHO
Walmart had started a program a few years ago to bring manufacturing back to the US. They have put up over 350 billion dollars to support new US industry growth.
The problem with the costs out of country is more often then not, the raw materials in the USA cost more then the parts made out of country.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

I would love to buy American. It would mean jobs for my neighbors and my state. However, it is extremely difficult for our manufacturing base to be cost competitive with foreign sources. We have safety standards for workers, pollution abatement standards for our manufacturing processes, un-employment and social welfare taxes for our employees. If the work is done in India, China or even Mexico, those costs are negated. I'm not saying to do away with those safety measures, I'm just saying it is difficult for our manufacturing base to compete with those 3rd world countries.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I would love to buy American. It would mean jobs for my neighbors and my state. However, it is extremely difficult for our manufacturing base to be cost competitive with foreign sources. We have safety standards for workers, pollution abatement standards for our manufacturing processes, un-employment and social welfare taxes for our employees. If the work is done in India, China or even Mexico, those costs are negated. I'm not saying to do away with those safety measures, I'm just saying it is difficult for our manufacturing base to compete with those 3rd world countries.
Exactly. Expecting American labor to be competitive with workers earning 1/10 that amount is folly. Ain't gonna happen.

Most of the issues with domestic production of anything are governed by consumer behavior - wanting something at the cheapest price. That behavior is not limited to cheap stuff at WallyWorld - look at how hard some RV buyers will work to beat a dealer down another $500 on a $600,000 DP... Some are the type of consumers who will say "I prefer USA made products" but whose spending behavior will not support domestic production.

We're not a 3rd world country, but want to buy goods at those prices. The math doesn't work out.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
This explains a LOT....
Notice the lack of hard hats and I'll bet there's not a steel toed boot in the whole country.

Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Mack Trucks are the only American big truck mfr still building all their trucks in America. The CEO said they always will be as long as he is in charge. That's the sort of gumption we need from more of our business leaders.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Well actually.....in the heavy truck industry
PACCAR - Peterbilt and Kenworth, is the only one left American OWNED and still made in USA. Headquarters in Washington state.

Mack is owned by Volvo (Sweden), assembled in Pennsylvania

Volvo is assembled in Virginia

Freightliner owned by Daimler Benz (German) ... also own Oshkosh, Thomas bus and some other to name a few

International (Navistar) owned by Traton (Volkswagen German)

At least there all assembled here in the US, employing 1000's

But then so are all the other foreign owned autos and truck

Good news is that it appears all the motorcoach mfg are US owed! I guess the other countries ain't interested, ha-ha...but one look at that industries "quality control" process would tell you that!

It a global world of manufacturing.
Parts and pieces made all over and assembled here.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #10

Uh huh... my motorhome and all subsequent work has been done by stateside businesses and ALL has been flawless... LOL

But I do understand the concept and support buying American (which really should be Made In USA as a preference).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's no longer just components for manufacturing and the general merchandise you'd find at Wally's or Target. It's creeping into grocery. We recently found peanut butter from India and frozen vegetables from China packaged and branded to appear as if they were made here!

Do you remember the pet food that killed dogs and cats and a brand of toothpaste made from imported Chinese ingredients from a few years ago?

Support the small local producers, we do!
Old 07-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody remember back in the 80's when Walmart bragged that everything they sold was Made In The USA?
I do.
What the hell happened?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Anybody remember back in the 80's when Walmart bragged that everything they sold was Made In The USA?
I do.
What the hell happened?
Capitalism happened.

So did the taboo of having a serious sensible discussion asking if we could find a better alternative.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
Capitalism happened.

Capitalism happened during WWII too. Somehow it worked for us then.
I repeat, what happened?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote