Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 09:06 AM   #1

Buy DEF at the pump, bad idea?

There are many price range choices when we purchase most anything these days. I rarely will buy the least expensive but it kind of matters what it is.

DEF come to mind. You can purchase a popular name brand platinum, a regular, a private label or an at the pump brand that you have no idea who makes it or what goes into it. Prices range from $18 for a 2 1/2 gal jug for the best down to $2.49 a gal for at the pump from, letís say Buc-ees.

Most of us wouldnít use cheap tires or private label oil or other items that are cheaper in our coach, but wonít think twice about using at the pump DEF because of the cheap price and convenience to use.

I start to wonder sometimes if some of the failures in the DEF systems arenít related to this. This is only me, but I wonít run at the pump DEF unless they can prove to me what itís makeup is and they canít. Iíll carry a supply of name brand DEF and err on the safe side.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #2

I always but DEF at the pump. If you think about it, it is going to be fresh due to the volumes sold at Truck stops. It has to be decent quality, as commercial truckers can't afford for their rigs to be down due to bad DEF.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #3

DEF.......67.5% purified and deionized water and 32.5% urea

DEF must meet the International Standard ISO 22241-1 for diesel engines. There is no acceptable substitute

Old DEF....not properly stored DEF.....hoses routed by DEF Head 'frying' the microchips are common causes of DEF Head/Sensor failures

MHs are more susceptible due to LACK of routine/frequent use
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
DEF is DEF. There are arguments for both sides of buying at the pump or buying the jugs.

We rarely fuel at truck stops, so buying DEF at the pump is even more rare. I like to keep my DEF topped off, so when I do find a station with DEF at the pump, I only need a couple of gallons so it's not worth pulling up and restarting the pump. Sometimes on a long trip and I have a couple of empty DEF jugs, I will fill those. I just find it easier to fill my DEF at my leisure either at home or a campsite.

I do carry a DEF refractometer in case I feel I got an open jug and want to test. It takes less than 2 minutes to test.

https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
Community Moderator

I buy DEF at the pump when I need it. With the Ram I can go 1000 miles on a 1/2 tank of DEF, which is about 2 1/2 gal.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #6

I always bought DEF at a busy Truck Stop at the pump.
It’s kept underground which is very cool
I think at 60f it lasts about 2 years.
DEF in a jug….I don’t know where it’s been. A hot truck, a hot warehouse, a warm Walmart?
DEF at 90f last about 6 months
I don’t know. So, I’m not buying DEF in a box unless it’s an emergency.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #7

I always buy DEF at a truck stop pump. Walmart and boxed DEF could be sitting for a year, in different environments. The pump DEF is always rotating in to the tanks
Old 01-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #8

Def systems actually have appropriate sensors to detect when the DEF is out of spec. The computer will tell you when this occurs .... but this is NOT a cause of Def head failure. Yes .... you might get a de-rate if it continues out of spec and you do not take action (like add fresh or empty the tank and replace .... but it does not cause actual failure of the DEF head.

Like others have said - Def is simple in makup (only two constituents), and for reasons of physics/chemistry is *very* highly regulated. I have no problem with buying DEF at the pump.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
Community Moderator

I am more concerned buying at an auto parts store than from the pump. The reasoning I use is if they store in direct sunlight at the store's window, or how long they have had it in stock. So, if I need to buy at a store, I get it from the rear of the store not from the stock located by a huge window up front.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #10

Well, there you go. Out of 8 who commented, survey said, buy it at the truck stop and save 50%. Since. Iíve been convinced, I now have more money to spend on adult beverages and of course itís not the private label brand.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #11

First I doubt given current situation you will find any old DEF at Walmart. You’ll be lucky to find any at all. I never buy at truck stops simply because I have to start and move the coach, because my DEF tank is all the way back on the fill side of the coach. I buy my DEF at the local farm supply store. They get it by the pallets and it sells out in no time. Better yet, cheaper than at the pump so I too have more money for the non label beverages.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:50 AM   #12

I carry a 5 gal kerosene jug that I fill at truck stops and then transfer to my def tank at my convenience. I do this because my def tank is located near the rear on the passengers side and the compartment door is top hinged. It makes it very difficult to access. Iím 9 years and 63000 miles into this and knock on wood havenít had an issue yet.
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
First I doubt given current situation you will find any old DEF at Walmart. Youíll be lucky to find any at all. I never buy at truck stops simply because I have to start and move the coach, because my DEF tank is all the way back on the fill side of the coach. I buy my DEF at the local farm supply store. They get it by the pallets and it sells out in no time. Better yet, cheaper than at the pump so I too have more money for the non label beverages.

Having a DP i have to pull forward also, but have not found this a poblem. If someone is behind me i walk back, say hi, and tell them what i am about to do (they have always been really friendly about it). Get in the cab, pull forward, then pump the def (have not needed to "restart" the pump). I find it so much more convenient than the jugs
Old 01-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #14

Store bought DEF has a date code stamped on it. Check the code to know if its old or not.

Tags
pump